My Solution for 3.1.1 lag/redraw issues

rob22202

Reaction score
I am a constant ROM swapper...always looking for the perfect combination of features, speed, and battery life. I think I may finally call UD 3.1.1 home. At first it was a tad laggy and I had some redraw issues but I have gotten it tuned up and it is damn fast. I'm not so bummed about having to hold onto this old droid until my contract renewal in November anymore. Anyway, here is what I did to get it running so well for me:

- Installed the LV-250-1200-v32kernel and ramzswap from P3Droid Kernels
- Set min 250, max 1200, and governer to interactive in UD CPU settings
- Installed all the apps that I normally use but left out ones that I intend to use one day but never do =)
- Used Titanium to move the larger games to ./androidsecure (apps2sd)
- Used spare parts to turn off tansition and window animations.
- Installed swapper2 from the market and created a 48mb swap, using /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 as the swap partition (internal rather than on SD card-found under advanced settings) and a swappiness setting of 60.
- Installed ADW EX, set it to "system persistent" and set "lock home in memory" in UD settings

Anyone having redraw or lag issues, give this a try and tell me how it works for you.

- Rob

OP
rob22202

rob22202

Reaction score
I moved down to the p3 lv 250-900 kernel and still having amazing performance. The 1200 was a little overkill.

robbienick

Reaction score
thanks for your tips! How did you get swapper2 work on UD? I'm using the stock kernel. Just cannot do that. It just shows 'Please wait'...

vjaamm

Reaction score
What's swap? I'm still learning, lol.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
rob22202

rob22202

Reaction score
thanks for your tips! How did you get swapper2 work on UD? I'm using the stock kernel. Just cannot do that. It just shows 'Please wait'...

you have to make sure your kernel is supports swapping. For P3 kernels, you have to flash the ramzswap module after you flash a kernel to enable it. That may fix it.

OP
rob22202

rob22202

Reaction score
What's swap? I'm still learning, lol.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

My simple(ton) explanation: Many computer OSes move items in memory to temporary storage on disk when they are not being actively used to free up memory for the active processes. If they are needed again, they can be swapped back to active memory. Instead of android killing inactive process memory segments to free up space, they are swapped to disk.

A real explanation: Paging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

craigs93

Reaction score
Swapper2 Problems

I tried Swapper2 as posted...after a call, 3G would freeze and the phone process would crash. Reboot is only fix, except Bluetooth is now gone also. Have to reset all BT settings and re-pair phone.

If you miss the phone process error message, the phone will burn through your battery in less than an hour and die.

Uninstalled and cleared all settings from Swapper2

Beware!!

(Not saying this is malware, just that it can cause serious problems...Fair warning!!)

OP
rob22202

rob22202

Reaction score
Wow. Your experience is much different than mine, for sure. The only issues I have and the widely reported gingerbread issues of 3g dropping randomly and having to airplane mode on/off to get it working again.