My S4 slips into Global mode

BadeMillsap

Reaction score
I live in a fairly low reception area. My s4 occasionally slips into global mode rather than CDMA. Is there anything I can do to prevent this since I believe it causes roaming and may impact battery life. The only way I know this happens is because I get a global roaming message.

Bade using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Settings -- mobile networks -- network mode -- LTE/CDMA

Also make sure under "Global Data Roaming Access" that you have "Deny data roaming access" highlighted.

OP
B

BadeMillsap

Reaction score
What carrier? I think VZW phones have an option to select the mode.

It is VZW and there is an option for mode ... but that is what gets changed ... and then I discover it happened and change it back :icon_eek:

OP
B

BadeMillsap

Reaction score
Yeah I have both of the suggested settings ... it doesn't happen often .. maybe something is setting the roaming thing on ... I'll watch for that ... thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
After switching to your preferred setting I would try restarting to make sure it stays.

I did noticed it says "Preferred setting", so it may connect to that first and then if it can't find it may go to "Global" mode, but that's just a theory I thought of. Considering it does have the capability to go Global there may not be a way to really turn it off unless you mess with it through root.