1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

My Rooting/ROM Experience.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by EpyonZeroX, Feb 21, 2010.

1. EpyonZeroX

EpyonZeroX New Member

Today I finally gave in and decided to root my droid and install a custom rom onto it. A few hours later, I can say that I don't think i'm going to look back.

For those who are interested/curious, i'm just going to tell you the easiest way/simplest way to get this whole process over and done with.

First of all, add DroidReview as a subscription to your youtube account and follow everything from there.

It was painless, and although i do find myself tech savvy, at least enough to be able to follow through with proper directions, it should be headache free even for the noobiest of noobs.

I would suggest like everyone else, to read up of course, (i did alot of research through reading through these forums and rootyourdroid.info are VERY helpful in understanding what you are doing exactly and how to do it correctly)

Now, i'm running Bugless Beast v1.0 with all the goodies of wireless-wifi tethering and overclocked CPU access and the rest of the things "2.1" should have offered us. For now, i've turned to the darkside and i encourage other who are fed us, as i was, in waiting for this 2.1 non-sense when ROMS are offering those things already and so much more.

I am no expert, but if a noob like myself can do it, anyone can.

Thank you all from droidforums for your help/comments :D
  2. christim

christim Super Moderator

Videos will probably help more so than text files. I also rooted for the first time today. Seeing someone apply a rom via sprecovery would have saved me at least 45 minutes of head scratching.
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Welcome to the dark side! For me, the best thing about this forum is the ability to fine valuable information that others, like you, take time to post.
    Enjoy the new rooted Droid

Mike
  4. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

Thanks for the tip!!
  5. JonKyu

JonKyu Beta Team

After rooting and flashing so many different ROMs I can absolutely say that my chances for going back to stock as very very slim lol! I don't even care about the 2.1 update anymore lol!!! Go Rooted Droids (and stock ones too lol).
  6. eagle132

eagle132 New Member

Wireless Tethering with BB v1.0?

I rooted today, Bugless Beast v1.0, and although everything works great I must say I'm a bit confused about the wireless tethering part. In Pete's post, it said the ROM came with wireless tethering but down below it says reccomended apps, one being the Wireless Tethering App.

Now, I have no wireless tethering app installed on my phone, and I'm not sure if this is right or not, but the rom seems to have flashed perfectly. However Pete had no download link to "Wireless Tethering App (modified by Berzerker)".

Is there a way I can download this .apk, or is something else wrong?

Thanks!
  7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

8. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Congratulations. I agree with JonKyu, I am running AdamZ's Smoked Glass ROM, lots of the 2.1 apps, MT browser, etc. Also running GDE so the 2.1 launcher (that is currently buggy) is a moot point, GDE also lets me run the interactive wallpapers as well. I don't have ANY reason to go back to stock for 2.1 Someone will also get the 2.1 launcher working at some point as well.

Have fun with your NEW phone!
  9. eagle132

eagle132 New Member

Alright, thanks. I guess my only question would be are these the correct wifi .apks? Pete's post says "(Wireless Tethering App (modified by Berzerker))".

I cannot find one "modified by Berzerker", so these are them?

Thanks
  10. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

To be honest with you, I have had no need to use wifi tethering, so I have never tested it. I have seen that one linked all over the forums though, and it seems to be popular having reached high numbers of downloads in a rather short period of time. With that said, if you want the Berzerker one, if there is indeed a difference, it is linked near the bottom http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-roms/17714-themed-rom-smoked-glass-w-white-clock.html

It is a direct download link, so I didn't want to directly link it here.

*Edit* Congrats to the OP on conquering the true power of your Droid. Good luck with it. :)
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

Way to go EZ. Thanks for sharing your experience. I just read the guide from fellow DF member Matth3w. It covered it all for me just fine.

This is one of those things that is totally intimidating as you think about it. But once you finish that last step, and the phone boots into your new ROM, you totally have one of those "why didn't I do it sooner. This is awesome".

But honestly.....how many of us sat there as that last boot screen came up after all those steps praying to some kind of higher power that we didn't just screw up our phones? I sure did. :)

-Mike