My review of the Nexus

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Lack of a dedicated camera button is one of the things I miss most. Unless you put your camera button on every screen, when you want to take a picture it sort of defeats or offsets the "zero-shuttter" because you have to search for the darn app to launch the camera!

As for the lag, it's pretty good. It will never be like IOS because of all the added functionality Android brings. I can compare this with my IPad2 and I don't see noticeable differences in lag or responsiveness. Also, give some of these developers time to optimize their apps for ICS and the dual core.

the other annoying thing is some apps put their settings buttons as just a thin bar in the lower right. Makes it hard to find and even harder to press accurately.

The other thing is, for me I really had no opinion on the screen size either way beforehand. It's obviously much larger coming from the D1. But I have to say, it's almost ideal. Far more portable than my IPad but the screen is large enough to comfortably read articles and watch videos. I didn't really find that to be the case with the D1 with either not fitting the article/columns well or the font being a bit too small. I have very little desire to pick-up my IPad now.

mercm3

Reaction score
You can always put the camera button on the bottom dock bar so it's accessible on all screens

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can always put the camera button on the bottom dock bar so it's accessible on all screens

You can? I didn't see where I could change that on the stock launcher, unless you're using a different one (as I am). Yeah, I could put it on a dock bar or on every screen, but I don't use it enough to want to do that. Maybe a developer can do something with a timing delay to make the power button launch the camera. Be nice if they can do something with the software keys, as well, because I'd like my search button back there.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can? I didn't see where I could change that on the stock launcher, unless you're using a different one (as I am). Yeah, I could put it on a dock bar or on every screen, but I don't use it enough to want to do that. Maybe a developer can do something with a timing delay to make the power button launch the camera. Be nice if they can do something with the software keys, as well, because I'd like my search button back there.

Just long press the camera app in the app drawer and drag it to the bottom bar. You'll have to use up one of your slots in the bottom bar, but you could always put it in a folder.

As for the search button software key, there is a mod on xda that has it. I haven't tried it though as i never use search

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just long press the camera app in the app drawer and drag it to the bottom bar. You'll have to use up one of your slots in the bottom bar, but you could always put it in a folder.

As for the search button software key, there is a mod on xda that has it. I haven't tried it though as i never use search

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I actually downloaded a voice search app, but I don't care for it much. I'll have to look at XDA. The app is there and I can launch it, but for whatever reason I can't add it with my Sweeterhome launcher or create a shortcut. I'd have to maybe create a shortcut to it with something like Astro.

Anyway, I'm going to jack-up my Sweeterhome theme even more and see how far I can push this thing. Still have @ 250-300megs of ram left (not counting what could probably easily be killed if Android needed to). I think I'll end-up with something like 30 "screens" and 3 dozen widgets....MUAHAHAHAHHH

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's something I don't get. Everyone always complaining about "lag" on Android phones. WHAT lag? For all intents and purposes there is no lag.

Even a top of the line Core i7 based PC with 32GB of RAM and a 2GB 896-bit video card will suffer from a bit of slowdown from time to time. This is NOT lag, it's merely processing.

It seems like everyone wants a phone that transitions like the iPhone. The only problem is, they also want a true GUI. The iPhone is fast because its GUI is merely an app drawer. You're never gonna see a phone that supports widgets, multiple desktops, live wallpapers, and full customization that doesn't slow down from time to time. A bit of slowdown, IMHO, should be expected. We are really asking way too much of our devices.

THANK YOU

This is what people don't understand, the reason the Iphone seems so smooth is because it's barely using any processing power. I actually like the Iphone so don't think I'm a hater, but the Iphone doesn't do anything near what ICS is doing on your Nexus. I've got 5 widgets on 5 different homescreens, watching video and listening to music, the iphone does one of those well it doesn't even attempt to multi-task. It's probably capable of multi-tasking but you would see the same blips in performance that you see on the Nexus(which I haven't btw).

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score
THANK YOU

This is what people don't understand, the reason the Iphone seems so smooth is because it's barely using any processing power. I actually like the Iphone so don't think I'm a hater, but the Iphone doesn't do anything near what ICS is doing on your Nexus. I've got 5 widgets on 5 different homescreens, watching video and listening to music, the iphone does one of those well it doesn't even attempt to multi-task. It's probably capable of multi-tasking but you would see the same blips in performance that you see on the Nexus(which I haven't btw).

This has nothing to do with whether there is lag or not. You are justifying WHY there is lag, not if.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
No my point is, some people may see what they think is lag on an Android device, but it's because android allows multi-tasking so the hardware is actually being taxed. The Iphone is only processing one program at a time, therefore you'll rarely see it not look perfectly smooth because you cannot do anything but what you're currently doing.

I don't have any lag on my Nexus, hence why I said "(which I haven't btw)" in my post.

Htown315

Reaction score
That's also why the iPhone gets away with such a low clocked cpu. I made the gnex lag (barely) but I was really trying hard. It probably would have locked up my OG or D2. Truely an amazing device.