My recent fitness finds

sherylhs

Reaction score
I have received so much great information from this site, I really feel inclined to share my recent application finds.

First, Diet & Food Tracker by SparkPeople. Up until this week I had been using Calorie Counter and I have to say Calorie Counter’s bar code scanner is bad-ass. Diet & Food Tracker doesn’t have a bar code scanner, but I find entering foods easier. I have belonged to SparkPeople for several years (using it off and on). This application picked my profile right up. All of my manually entered foods… right there on my phone. I like the interface on SparkPeople better then Fatsecret (the site Calorie Counter syncs to). Diet & Food automatically syncs your info, as soon as you put it in. I have checked both ways, entering on the phone and entering on the computer… both show up almost instantly. You do not have to manually sync your info.

As a companion for walking I also found Endomondo. This is one of those apps that make me really, really love my phone. It uses gps to track your duration, distance and speed. You can use it to track several exercises where you are moving… even tho’ I’m not sure how it works for swimming, but there is an option. LOL This application also syncs automatically to a website. On the website I found the average speed of my walking trip, by minute. Yea, I know it’s useless information, but seriously… how cool is that??

You can see your route on a Google map. This is a pretty cool feature too. There are other options available on Endomondo for things like audio coach or peptalk from your friends (no idea). I don’t use either of these features. All the maps are Google powered maps, so it’s a feature you are instantly familiar with.

Both of these apps are free and available on the Market (I have a Motorola Droid). I’m hoping I have been able to ‘pay forward’ some useful information.

Enjoy!!
~Sheryl

J

Johnly

I have received so much great information from this site, I really feel inclined to share my recent application finds.

First, Diet & Food Tracker by SparkPeople. Up until this week I had been using Calorie Counter and I have to say Calorie Counter’s bar code scanner is bad-ass. Diet & Food Tracker doesn’t have a bar code scanner, but I find entering foods easier. I have belonged to SparkPeople for several years (using it off and on). This application picked my profile right up. All of my manually entered foods… right there on my phone. I like the interface on SparkPeople better then Fatsecret (the site Calorie Counter syncs to). Diet & Food automatically syncs your info, as soon as you put it in. I have checked both ways, entering on the phone and entering on the computer… both show up almost instantly. You do not have to manually sync your info.

As a companion for walking I also found Endomondo. This is one of those apps that make me really, really love my phone. It uses gps to track your duration, distance and speed. You can use it to track several exercises where you are moving… even tho’ I’m not sure how it works for swimming, but there is an option. LOL This application also syncs automatically to a website. On the website I found the average speed of my walking trip, by minute. Yea, I know it’s useless information, but seriously… how cool is that??

You can see your route on a Google map. This is a pretty cool feature too. There are other options available on Endomondo for things like audio coach or peptalk from your friends (no idea). I don’t use either of these features. All the maps are Google powered maps, so it’s a feature you are instantly familiar with.

Both of these apps are free and available on the Market (I have a Motorola Droid). I’m hoping I have been able to ‘pay forward’ some useful information.

Enjoy!!
~Sheryl
Blessed be, I became a member of spark people due to a college nutrition class. I must say, a wealth of info! My dad is a muay thai cage fighter at 55, and you think me, being a young thirty something would be the exercise guru, nope. I will keep on trying! Thank you for reminding me of the more important things in life! I did take a conditioning lab this fall : ) There is nothing like walking through a room fit as lion : )

713King

Reaction score
Nice, do you know anything about a program that shows how much calories you lost in a day? I'm currently doing P90X and I woul like to know how much calories I've lost etc.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We usually walk at lunch so I just grabbed Endomondo for another Droid Does show-n-tell opportunity. I've used My Tracks before and am happy with that app. It will create a MyMaps via Google Maps for you and also will create a spreadsheet for you on GoogleDocs.

dazdingo

Reaction score
i'm more interested in an app thats for working out in the gym

ie

setup workout schedule, setup exercises, records reps vs sets with a side for notes like how you performed them, were they sloppy, fast, slow and control

if someone can make something like that, where it's REALLY easy to punch into the reps sets and access everything I would pay MONEY MONEY MONEY for that and advertise it liek no other

gorexinfx

Reaction score
i'm more interested in an app thats for working out in the gym

ie

setup workout schedule, setup exercises, records reps vs sets with a side for notes like how you performed them, were they sloppy, fast, slow and control

if someone can make something like that, where it's REALLY easy to punch into the reps sets and access everything I would pay MONEY MONEY MONEY for that and advertise it liek no other

Check out GymBook. It's pretty good.

Gump47371

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, OP. I have been using FatSecret up until now, but if there is an easier one, I am willing to change. Will check it out.

AFA Endomondo, I have been using Runstar for my walking. Just wondering if you have used it and if so, how they compare.

Thanks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and say I think it's great to see people enthusiastic about exercise/nutrition. Been a passion of mine for 12 years.

I wish everyone the best of success!

c_mack9

Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in and say I think it's great to see people enthusiastic about exercise/nutrition. Been a passion of mine for 12 years.

I wish everyone the best of success!
awesome martin, ive been really serious about exercise for about 3 now. not so serious for about 8.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just decided This morning after reading this thread. I'm only 29 so I should probably trade some of those beers for water. My problem is more with not fueling myself properly. I've only been eating one meal a day for about 12 years now, just never had time stop working and eat.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you guys/gals have any questions regarding health/fitness feel free to ask.

Although I work construction now, I did go to college for Kinesiology (Health and Fitness). Such is the oddity of life that we don't always end up doing what we thought we would be.

The whole idea of exercise and 'diet' (hate this word because it's gotten such a bad association. "Diet" actually pertains to what you eat, not eating like a rabbit) can be overwhelming and seem torturous. It's not. It's simple, little things that can make a world of difference. You don't need to eat lettuce and spend your whole day exercising. :)

c_mack9

Reaction score
im SO jealous, i wish i would have went for kinesiology. im a massage therapist so ive studied the body about 1/8th of what you have but its awesome knowing stuff that people take for granted. i work with chiropractors and you need to check out the founding philosophy of chiro, its pretty awesome and its changed my life.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
im SO jealous, i wish i would have went for kinesiology. im a massage therapist so ive studied the body about 1/8th of what you have but its awesome knowing stuff that people take for granted. i work with chiropractors and you need to check out the founding philosophy of chiro, its pretty awesome and its changed my life.
I've never been to a chiro but the time is soon approaching. I'm closing in on 30 and dang near 15 years of weight lifting, and 22 years of ice hockey. My body is starting to revolt :)

Game4set

Reaction score
Oh man I've been wanting to see the iPhone's app "iFitness" on the Android Market sooo badly D: !