My rebate on Google Play was cancelled unexpectedly.

StanH

Reaction score
On 2/20/13 I purchased on Amazon two Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD (for me and my wife) activated them for a Verizon contract. Each purchase included a $50 rebate in the form of a credit to pay for apps on Google Play.

"TERMS & CONDITIONS
Mail In Rebate: Rebate will be paid in the form of a $50 Google Play™ promotional credit code for purchases made between 2/18/2013 – 3/18/2013.
All rebates must be postmarked by 4/1/2013.
The promotional credit must be redeemed by 5/18/13. ..."

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aah...21/Promotion/Google-Play/terms_conditions.pdf

I met the requirements of the "Terms and Conditions" and obtained the $100 credit in Google Play within the 6-week window that "Terms and Conditions" specified.

I received the following email on 9/29/14:
"Dear Google Play User, As of September 19, 2014, you have $91.62 remaining on your Google Play account that will expire on October 15, 2014."

I have reread the Terms and Conditions and there is nothing in any of the material provided me by Verizon, Motorola, or Google, or the Amazon website where I bought it, or by links or email, that indicated the $100 Play-store credit would expire. I have used less than $10 of the original 100.

I entered in good faith into a business agreement with those companies and I don't think that they have any right to unilaterally back out.

lloydsw

Reaction score
Glad you posted this. Made me go to the Play Store & find out my $10 gift card is going to expire in January. I had no idea!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Have you contacted Google?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
"TERMS & CONDITIONS
Mail In Rebate: Rebate will be paid in the form of a $50 Google Play™ promotional credit code for purchases made between 2/18/2013 – 3/18/2013.
All rebates must be postmarked by 4/1/2013.
The promotional credit must be redeemed by 5/18/13. ..."

Just curious...did you type those dates wrong? All the end dates in your post said the promo credit would expire in 2013.

OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
Just curious...did you type those dates wrong? All the end dates in your post said the promo credit would expire in 2013.
I cut and pasted the dates directly from the "Terms and Conditions" so the dates are correct.

I was required to mail in my invoices by 4/1/13 -- did. I was required to redeem the promo code they then sent me by entering it in Play Store by 5/18/13 -- did. The "Terms & Conditions" do not mention any other limit!

Link to Terms and Conditions

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Using the promo code by the date mentioned, and "redeeming" the credit are two entirely different thing.

You met the terms as far as the postmark but the redemption hasn't happened yet.

Redeeming the credit is another way of saying spending it or cashing it in for products or service. Since the credit is still on the Google account it hasn't been redeemed yet. They've been very generous allowing that credit to remain 17 months after the date mentioned of May 18, 2013.

Any of these promotional programs have to be closed eventually so they can account for the cost of the program to those departments and program partners who allocated the funds. All of these programs result in a lot of fall-through and the vendors count on that fall-through as an increase in net profits or a reduction in net expenses.

Last edited:
OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
Redeeming the credit is another way of saying spending it or cashing it in for products or service. Since the credit is still on the Google account it hasn't been redeemed yet.

I understand what you are saying, but I believe that is contrary to the explanations Motorola and Verizon wrote in their "Terms and Conditions" and in the email they sent me containing the rebate-code. Here is the alternative explanation:

I am saying that the $100 was a rebate -- that is the term they wrote in the "Terms and Conditions" that I quoted above. And that the "redeeming" applies not to the purchase of apps, but to the crediting to my account of $100. There is no stated time limit on the money's use -- not in the Motorola/Verizon language in the "Terms and Conditions" nor in the email they sent me:

motorola said:
"Motorola Mobility" 4/12/13
Dear STAN H*****,

Thank you for your participation in the Motorola Google Play™ credit promotion.

Here is your $50 Google Play™ credit to spend on your favorite Music, Movies, Books, Apps and More.

Code: BJ4RPYB<snip>

Please click here to redeem your code.

Start Playing,

Refer to the phrase "redeem your code". The word "redeem" contains a link to Play Store. The language here says clearly that the redemption happened when I clicked on the word "redeem" (and entered the code to Play Store.) So in this contract it appears to me that redeem means "redeem the code" -- not to buy apps. To the point, "redeem by 5/18/13" must mean redeem the code by 5/18/13.

The key point that I make is that the contract that I entered into in good faith with Motorola and Verizon had no other date stated that could be interpreted as an expiration date related to purchasing of apps.