My RAZR won't take the latest OTA update

seth7garcia

Reaction score
As the title suggest, my phone won't successfully update. Is there a log somewhere that I can find out why, or perhaps a program that will test your phone and tell you what you need to fix for it to take an ota update?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
As the title suggest, my phone won't successfully update. Is there a log somewhere that I can find out why, or perhaps a program that will test your phone and tell you what you need to fix for it to take an ota update?
Has your phone ever been rooted, or are you rooted now? If the answer to those questions is yes, then did you delete any apps that came with the phone that you needed root to delete? If the answers to those question is no, then what system version are you running (menu>settings>about phone>system settings)?

dsdroid

Reaction score
If it is not rooted. What is happening? The more info you give the better. My razr maxx would not update too. Went to Verizon and the rep said it's the sim card, which was pure bull.. But they sent me a new phone. This time the update worked. I seen other posting with updates problems too. Your not the only one. Think that's why V didn't give me any grief. By the way I went to the factory store not a dealer

Last edited:
OP
S

seth7garcia

Reaction score
View attachment 61881

I am rooted.
I didn't delete any system apps.
I did use titanium backup to freeze and unfreeze the useless Apps
I did have a patched play store, but restored it also.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
View attachment 61881

I am rooted.
I didn't delete any system apps.
I did use titanium backup to freeze and unfreeze the useless Apps
I did have a patched play store, but restored it also.

Ok, you need to unfreeze all apps, if you disabled any apps through the app manager then enable them. Download Voodoo Root keeper from the play store, install, select protect root which will make a backup of your root, then temporarily unroot using the same app.
Now power off your phone. When you reboot you should be notified of an OTA update. Since you are on 4.0.4 there are at least two updates I think. There is an update to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and an update to 4.1.2, the latest software. After each update go to Root Keeper and restore root, reboot and temporarily unroot, power off your phone and take the next update, restore root, temporarily unroot, reboot and so on. Once you've downloaded the last update just use Root Keeper to restore root... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FULLY CHARGED BATTERY. You're done.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
S

seth7garcia

Reaction score
I unfroze everything, even made a filter for frozen apps to make sure nothing was missed.
I restored app+data for my play store
I temp unrooted
I rebooted

Downloaded update, again.
Failed again :<

mikeichs

Reaction score
I unfroze everything, even made a filter for frozen apps to make sure nothing was missed.
I restored app+data for my play store
I temp unrooted
I rebooted

Downloaded update, again.
Failed again :<

I had the same issue. I used I think it was Matt's utility and side loaded the ota on my phone and it works great.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I think you are right.My dad used to have this phone and he never received and ota update.I was expecting some ota updates.He does not care about this anyway.He bought a Droid Razr M instead.But I also have my problems.I want to root my Casio Commando but Verizon made it difficult to root.