My Razr MAXX has a horrible battery life! What's going on??

newtodroidx

Reaction score
Will a factory reset help?? And if I do one of those it will take phone back to how it was when I first received it right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

dolpns13

Reaction score
I did put the brightness on the battery saver option where the screen is dimmed a little. So maybe there might be something running in the background 24/7 that is draining thae battery?? I did select the "push" option for my hotmail account. Could that have any effect on the phone necver going to sleep?

That push for email and other syncs is a battery destroyer. When I first got my Rezound I turned all email auto syncs off.. conditioned the battery and was getting a good 15 hours with modest usage. Then I decided to give those "pushes" a try. That day the battery went from 100% at 8am to about 30% by noon. I turned the settings back and now my battery is back to normal

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
i tried turning off the "push" notification for my hotmail account. But according to my Razr Maxx's setting it says "push" can't be disabled for hotmail. Does that make any sense?

newtodroidx

Reaction score
i tried turning off the "push" notification for my hotmail account. But according to my Razr Maxx's setting it says "push" can't be disabled for hotmail. Does that make any sense?

My yahoo account settings say the exact same thing when I went in to turn data push off.

newtodroidx

Reaction score
What exactly is a factory reset? How do you perform one? And if I choose to do one would it possibly make battery life better? I am on a little over 3 hours of use and have lost 20% of battery. If I lose 20% battery every 3 hours that is only 15 hours of use from one charge...I don't get how people get 30 some hours from one charge.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What exactly is a factory reset? How do you perform one? And if I choose to do one would it possibly make battery life better? I am on a little over 3 hours of use and have lost 20% of battery. If I lose 20% battery every 3 hours that is only 15 hours of use from one charge...I don't get how people get 30 some hours from one charge.

A factory reset is achieved by following these steps. Tap.... settings, tap privacy, you will see a box saying factory reset. Tap it. IMHO u should select wipe internal memory. DO NOT SELECT SD CARD OR IT WILL ERASE YOUR SD CARD. then it will ask... erase everything. Select yes. Then it will do the rest.

I did another factory reset yesterday and its helped. I deep cycled my battery though, I think I may have hurt it in doing so......

DON'T DEEP CYCLE YOUR BATTERY!!! Meaning don't run it dead. Apparently these batteries hate it. But others say to do it. So your call. My life went downhill after I did it.

newtodroidx

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response 94lt1, think I will try the factory reset after work tonight. I definitely do not want my SD card erased...so as long as I do not check that box the SD card will not be erased correct? Also should I be connected to charger while doing a factory reset? Or do you need alot of battery left to do one? Sorry formally the questions but I have never does factory reset before and want to do it right and am willing to try it to try and get more out of the battery.

Last edited:

Kas84

Reaction score
Dude does that one picture say you have GPS on? That doesn't help battery life...

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Thank you so much for your response 94lt1, think I will try the factory reset after work tonight. I definitely do not want my SD card erased...so as long as I do not check that box the SD card will not be erased correct? Also should I be connected to charger while doing a factory reset? Or do you need alot of battery left to do one? Sorry formally the questions but I have never does factory reset before and want to do it right and am willing to try it to try and get more out of the battery.

I think personally... you should have 50% or better on your battery when you reset. Or have your razr plugged in. Now please realize that this is my opinion. A factory reboot shouldn't take 2% of your battery. Its quick and easy. But I always err on the side of caution.

Questions are fine. We all need to learn... especially me.

Also if your GPS is on, that will kill battery. Bluetooth, same. I keep my data on, 4g, but everything else is off.... I surf this forum and fb a lot... and the web so I can kill my battery fairly quickly now. I was able to get close to 14 hours.... not anymore.

The task killer that comes on the phone... I have everything set to auto kill 2 mins after the screen goes black.... that helps a lot for me. You. Might look into it.

newtodroidx

Reaction score
I have everything set to auto kills 2 minutes after screen goes back also. Also I never have GPS, wi-fi, or Bluetooth turned on as I never use them. Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
You can also use JuiceDefender...I have JD Ultimate and works beast on my Xoom and D2!

Motorola Droid 2: MIUI 2.2.4 B2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have everything set to auto kills 2 minutes after screen goes back also. Also I never have GPS, wi-fi, or Bluetooth turned on as I never use them. Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

No problem. Hope the factory reset helps.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

kparks

Reaction score
No problem. Hope the factory reset helps.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

Did u check ur accounts and see what u have syncing and how often the browser at 17% looks kinda odd but display was normal..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
P

Phillies

Reaction score
As the orginal poster of this thread here's a little update. After my Razr downloaded some kind of update this morning, turning off the GPS, and having the screen turn off at 30 seconds along with a darker screen this is what I have.

After 11 hours of using facebook, txting, zero phone calls and bascially no web browsing my battery is at 30%. Sadly, that is actually drastic improvement for me. But is that anything great?? Shouldn't any decent smart phone have a battery like that? What if I made some phone calls, streamed some video, etc?

Display took up 50% of battery with 3 hours and 47 minutes of on time. Facebook was next at 14%. The battery does charge slow due to it's large size but it seems to drain just as fast as the smaller batteries...

This is even close to being normal??

Crf450r420

Reaction score
I'm on my second full day. Been on battery for 17h 17m 12s at 15% and I used it almost as much as I could. I was without signal for about 3 hours. I was on NAV for 1.5h while browsing and making calls. Just over an hour on the phone with 22% going to it. Display just jumped to 22% while taking pictures of everything and looking at to write this. Sounds to me like you have an issue. Try that battery drain and full charge and/or the factory reset and see what you get. Then if it sucks get a new phone. IMO

Edit: I don't have 4G in my area. May play a part in it. 18h 21m now @ 10%, streaming videos to try and finish it off.

Last edited: