My RAZR is not allowing me to connect via USB! Computer not recognizing ext. storage

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Support' started by sanzenapocalypz, Mar 4, 2012.

1. sanzenapocalypz

sanzenapocalypz New Member

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem or if anyone could give me some guidance on my problem with my RAZR.

The past couple days I have been trying to figure out ways to upload music to my phone. I have MotoCast up an running, but can only get the wireless cloud streaming service to work. There is no option for me in the program to upload via USB like they say there is! SO FRUSTRATING.

For some reason, my computer does not seem to be recognizing the phone. It will charge, but that is it. I have tried switching the debugging mode for USB on and off and restarted both machines for each situation. NO LUCK.

I even tried downloading the drivers manually to my computer! Still nothing! If you guys had any advice for getting my computer to show the SD card on my phone while plugged in, that would be awesome! Or, let me know if there are any programs I should look into. Have already tried DoubleTwist, it was not able to locate my phone being plugged into my computer. Thank you for your time!
  2. monkey_man

monkey_man New Member

1. Check the usb icon on top of your phone that is not left to charging mode. Have this problem occurred to one computer or you've tried different PC with same result?
    2. If you use move apps to sd card, the internal storage will be missing from My Computer.
    3. If you have external storage, you can use wifi and use the file manager that came with motorola phone and transfer all kind of files via wireless. :icon_ banana:
  3. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

To echo MonkeyMan, check the USB mode. To do this, pull down your Status Bar at the top of the screen on your phone, and then tap the USB connection bar to "manage your USB connection". There, you'll see 4 options for USB connections, and one is USB Mass Storage. That's the one I believe you are looking for.

Good luck! ;)
  4. sanzenapocalypz

See I have been trying to access the USB options via the phone's status bar. The problem is that whenever it is plugged into the computer and I have even let it sit for a couple minutes to try and allow my computer to recognize it.... it doesn't recognize the phone as a device even! It does not even respond to the phone other than simply charging it. I have fiddled with this USB debugging mode, but is to no avail.
  5. FoxKat

Ok, may seem like a stupid question, but are you using the USB cable that came with the phone? Some cables only supply charging capabilities for these phones. You're always best using the stock OEM cable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  6. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Are you saying MotoCast doesn't start up even? What version of MotoCast are you running? It's up to 1.2.9 now. Right click on your icon and check About or Check for Updates...

If that's not it, reboot your computer and try plugging into a different USB port. Be sure you're not going through a hub.

Do you have anything else happen when you connect your phone that normally happens - like opening up your photo import program or a Windows explorer window? Or is it just Motocast

If you go into Device Manager, is it there?
  7. sanzenapocalypz

YOU KNOW..... the USB cable MIGHT just be the problem! I had forgotten the cable that came with my phone at my apartment back at school, and have been having to use my old LG's cable!

And to answer the inquiry about MotoCast, I will definitely have to check for updates. The thing is that the only motocast service I can access is the web browser-based application that syncs the music on your compy to your phone while the computer is on. Does this application that runs in my tray actually have an application where it pops up and transfers music to the storage on your phone? Maybe it is not popping up because of this incorrect phone cable...
  8. T1125P

T1125P New Member

Hi, I myself have just had this problem. I tried everything, different PC's different cables, installed the moto drivers, the phone is stuck in charge only mode, when I select USB mass storage and click ok nothing happens, it goes back to charge only. My phone is not rooted and this has happened just recently, last night to be exact. Could it be that when it asked me, which mode I set it to I set it to charge only and now it's stuck there? All the other times I had it set to USB mass storage and since now I just wanted to charge only it's stuck in that mode :(
  9. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

As an fyi, MotoCast had a recent version upgrade. So if you're having problems be sure to check for updates before you go too nuts.
  10. T1125P

T1125P New Member

I was reading around and I fixed it. All I did was hold the power button and the volume down button to do a reset. I think when I installed the gemini taskiller it was stopping a service, and now its ok. Hope this will help some people. :)
  11. FoxKat

Way to go! Great info for others too. Often we find that one software is conflicting another so to see the reset fix it is reassuring.

By the way, it is highly recommended that you refrain from using all but the stock task manager to kill processes. The OS is optimized for that utility and the others eat up system resources, namely the battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  12. T1125P

T1125P New Member

Yeah, your right, I took that program out. I like to keep my RAM at least 40-50% free and it was dipping into the mid 30's. So far the only program that I have that does not give me problems is Advanced Task Accelerator. It sort of like does a soft reset and kills all apps to free RAM. I had it for a while, this app is ok with me, the other not so much :)
  13. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting what fixed it. I'm sure it will help someone.
  14. T1125P

T1125P New Member

Thanks, I'm glad I can help, and hopefully someone else who had the same problem.
  15. sanzenapocalypz

When you hold down all three buttons, does that do a hard reset and just reboots your phone, correct?
  16. FoxKat

Holding all three buttons while the phone is ON does nothing but cause the vibration motor to run constantly until you release them. Holding all three from a full power-off starts the phone into the Boot Mode Selection Menu for Recovery, AP Fastbooot and several other options. If you make no selection in that menu, after several seconds it will automatically boot normally.
  17. word1114

word1114 New Member

i am having the same issue with my razr
    it is showing that it is charging and won't give me any options to use on the PC
    :blink:
    it happened when i rooted it
    my android version is 2.3.6
  18. Laxdrum

Laxdrum New Member

i had this same problem and it turned out that the problem was that the cable didnt support anything but charging, I love these forums because they helped me solve my problem, thanks guys!
  19. n8sdroid

n8sdroid New Member

Same thing happened to me. it turned out it was the darn LG cord. very happy that i can now get music and photos from my phone to computer. thanks for the advice.
  20. davidban

davidban New Member

I have started having the same problem. There is no usb icon at the top to pull down. And happens on different computers with different cables, both of which used to work. Not using motocast (why do I need it by the way). The computer just fails to recognize that a device is even plugged in. Help?
Search tags for this page

computer not recognizing droid razr

droid razr maxx usb not recognized
droid razr not connecting to computer

droid razr not recognized by computer

droid razr usb connection settings
droid razr usb not recognized

droid razr usb settings

droid razr wont connect to computer

motorola razr not connecting to pc

my droid razr wont connect to my computer

usb settings droid razr