my RAZR and i survived

huskur

Reaction score
And glad you didn't kill the flatbed driver because you weren't paying attention to driving and using the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Clueless comment on your part. Please reserve your posts until you have more accurate information or for that fact ANY information at all. You cannot pass judgement without knowing the root cause.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
Glad you and your phone are ok. But this reminds me of short story. My friend was driving and we got into an accident. Airbags deployed and it was a hard it. The moment before the dust settles I hear him ask "Are you ok?", I naturally respond with a yes and then look over..... He was holding his phone looking panicked. That's right, he was making sure his phone was ok before me. He had it on the center console so it was flung to the floor.

Last edited:
OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I am willing to admit that i was distractrd, By the rain. and i won't defend the phone 100% but in my opinion it played a very small role in the whole event. I don't mind people expressing their concern, and believe me I've thought through the whole thing a thousand times and what i could have done differently. I just don't appreciate ignorant comments like the first one. Other than that, i welcome all comments, but know that i have already thought about it a lot.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow. That picture gave me the heebie jeebies. Glad you're well and no one was hurt. Amazing! I agree that the first critical comment was out of line.

I always use a bluetooth when I drive and have to use my phone, but studies out of the University of Utah show that it really doesn't help at all over just holding the phone in your hand up to your ear. It's not how you hold or communicate with the phone, but just the fact that you are talking on a phone that makes the brain concentrate more on the phone conversation. It was shown that having a conversation with a live person in the car does not distract nearly as much as talking on the phone. The concluding theory was that the brain has to interpret more when the other person isn't actually with you, so it concentrates more on the phone conversation and less on driving attentiveness. I find it to be true for me. I can tell that I am not as focused on the road, road conditions, or other drivers when I'm on my phone via bluetooth. I would hate to see laws outlawing all phone use when driving, but with more studies being done on distracted driving, I fear that may be the future.
No condemnation intended at all. I'm just glad you're OK.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Handsfree or not this accident was the result of poor light along with poor weather conditions. Not because he was distracted and on the phone. It would have happened to someone just listening to the radio minding their own business with full attention at the wheel. Rain + darkness + no lights on the flatbed = disaster from the start

No doubt about that at all, but given the conditions it always pays to be extra careful. Even the slightest delay in reaction time can add up to a hundred feet or so at highway speeds.

I can say "been there done that" myself and I don't want to put myself in that position again.

I'll admit though, I am a bit prejudiced as I ride a motorcycle (thats where my nickname comes from) and every close call I have had has been either someone talking on a cell or texting.

David

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow Josh, I am so glad you're ok... could care less about the phone (but cool to know it survived also). Now I want to know what kind of car. Looking at that mess, it is amazing you had only scratches and bruises. That car is your friend.

I don't think whether you were on the phone or not would've prevented that accident. My sister had the same accident about 30 years ago on route 10 between San Antonio & Houston. A flatbed truck was making a u turn and its back end was parked across the highway... it was dark and no lights. She had no warning and hit it going 60 mph. No air bags or cell phones back then. What saved her was her Honda with the drop down, fall out engine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

fireman00

Reaction score
Glad to hear that you were able to get out with minor scratches. Just a professional question, any idea why the windshield was cut out? Normally that's is done in conjunction with cuts being made at the front lower corner of door frames to prepare to perform a "dash roll" in order to extricate a trapped victim.

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
fireman00 said:
Glad to hear that you were able to get out with minor scratches. Just a professional question, any idea why the windshield was cut out? Normally that's is done in conjunction with cuts being made at the front lower corner of door frames to prepare to perform a "dash roll" in order to extricate a trapped victim.

It popped out on it's own. There was no cutting done.

flyinace

Reaction score
WOW!!!!! What did your brother think happened? He heard the whole thing? Did he describe what it sounded like? I've always wondered if the person on the other side could tell if I was suddenly in a car accident..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I believe its illegal to have a trailer parked like that and left...you might look into that.

The rain down here in TX can be so bad that even with lights on, you have tines where you can't see past your hood, or even the tail lights of the car I front of you.. and the mistake most people make on the highway is they jam on their brakes and cause a huge mess...

Glad you're OK man.

I'd look into the legality of that trailers location...

William_04_x

Reaction score
Glad you're still with us, Josh. You are a lucky man.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, it is illegal. My sister easily won her claim. She was not so lucky in her accident... not real bad but had knee and back injuries.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums