1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

My problems with 2.1 and why I'm sticking with 2.0.1

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by buee, Jan 12, 2010.

?

Did you try 2.1?

1. Yes, and I'm keeping it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but I reverted back to 2.0.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but I want to try it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, and I don't want to try it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, I'm waiting for the official release

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. buee

buee New Member

I'm no hacker, but I am addicted to getting my phone to do things it normally wouldn't do. As you can tell by the title and the great news of 2.1 coming to the DROID in the upcoming weeks, my recent endeavor was to get 2.1 installed on my phone. I successfully got two different versions of 2.1 running on my phone. First, I tried the nandroid backup by ChevyNo1, who appears to be a very talented person. That WiFi tether patcher worked flawlessly for me, so kudos for that. Using that backup did not go all that well. So, I decided to revert back to 2.0.1 and found the base GREEK35T Rev.0.0.41 and installed that. Unfortunately, this was pretty much the same thing. At first, the DROID was even faster. I couldn't believe it at first, it worked great. Then I started playing with it a bit more and found the following issues. Granted, some of them are minor, but worth, IMO, going back to 2.0.1:

• The app menu has a lot of font misformatting. Even short app titles would be positioned all the way to the right and would only show 3-5 characters
    • The app menu was also quite slow and buggy. After scrolling past the point of the first line of apps, I would not be able to get back to that line without closing the app menu and re-opening it. It's only four apps, but still...
    • The OS rapidly lost its speed. It exponentially got slower and slower. I killed ever app I could find and it wouldn't make a difference. We're talking 4-10 hours of rare usage and the phone would drop in performance by at least 40%
    • This one is probably the deciding factor in reverting. My e-mails wouldn't come in. I noticed after about a day that none of my 4 accounts were getting emails. I have 3 IMAP (two different providers) and 1 POP3 and none of them would come through. I even manually tried refreshing them and nothing came through. No errors, nothing. Like there was no email. I reverted back to 2.0.1 and guess what? I was bombarded with emails.
    • The initial sync is very slow to perform and rarely completes. As I mentioned above, I tried two different 2.1 images and both yielded the same results. I checked after 12 hours and 2 reboots and it still hadn't pulled down images from Facebook as an example, nor did all of my settings restore. My initial sync with 2.0 took all of 60 seconds. Yes, I am in 3G and yes, I do have good signal.
    • As mentioned before, I was using 2.1 on a DROID (which may be the source of this issue). When I would slide the screen up or down, the orientation would change, but I wouldn't ever get my actual home screen background or icons to come back. I'd have to hit the home button for those to come back.
    • When in an app or on one of the "spare screens" and I hit the home button, it usually results in a baron screen, no icons, no widgets, no nothing. I usually hit home again to get this to come back. The notification bar is still there, however. It basically looks like a spare screen with no icons or widgets on it.
    • I noticed the reboots are slower than 2.0.1, but that's probably to be expected.
    • The market doesn't update the apps that I backed up with Astro file manager. This was probably the biggest disappointment as the best feature of Android IMO is the integration and cohesion of all apps. The only ones that restored from the marketplace were the ones I purchased.
    • Of course, as a lot of people have reported, I had massive issues with the physical keyboard backlight. I was under the impression that this was fixed in the latest GREEK35T revisions, but I still had problems with it. This combined with everything above told me I should just revert instead of trying to fix this one.
    In conclusion, I would like to state that Android is the Blackberry and iPhone killer hands down. The fact that they're not as anal as Blackberry and Apple and Android is now available on almost all carriers will butcher the iPhone in the long run. Blackberry has a strong business following on multiple networks so that will take a while longer to get rid of. I switched from a Storm and paid an extravagant amount of money for the DROID and haven't looked back since it yelled DROID at me for the first time. I'd do it again I tell ya.

With that said, I really hope that the versions of 2.1 that I tried are solely built for the Nexus 1 and that Google will tweak it before pushing it out to the DROID. All I know is 2.0.1 is much better as of right now. I will try 2.1 again at the official release and see how it goes.

Also, I just wanted to say that I'm not intending on bashing anything about Android, Google, the DROID, 2.1, or the people that have tried 2.1. I'm hoping to inform other DROID users of the issues I've had. Maybe I have a retarded DROID, or maybe the user is retarded. Either way, the cons far outweigh the pros at this point.
  2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Aw shucks thanks for the kind words :)

I've been going back and forth between 2.0.1 and 2.1 .. and overall pretty much agree with your observations ... biggest reason for me to go back to 2.0.1 is the new sholes 2.1 apps on 2.0.1, along with overclocking and wifi-tether all working, AND brightness ... so I'm also back on 2.0.1 for the moment
  3. dtrb

dtrb New Member

I agree 100%

But know that most if not all of the issues you mention will be worked out by the time Motorola releases 2.1 to us droid users. Once it's rooted, I'll be on that side of the fence, but until then, 2.0.1 with 2.1 apps is just fine with me.
  4. buee

buee New Member

Odd

That's odd. I had root access no problem with 2.1. Again, I'm no hacker, but I know I had root access within 2.1.
  5. dtrb

dtrb New Member

Yea, sorry, got a little carried away there. Point is, if Motorola can get all the kinks worked out, then I'm in.
  6. buee

buee New Member

Official

What worries me most is that they may not get all of the bugs worked out of it before it ships. I'm curious as to how it functions on the Nexus One. There will be a lot of angry people out there if they get this thing and can't receive e-mail. All of the other problems could be found on any other smartphone, but the email thing really shoots 2.1 in the foot.
  7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

This is the whole point of us having to wait and wait and wait for our official release of 2.1...as of the moment, it is only built for the N1. They will optimize our version...they're doing so right now. Of course those cooked up ROMs wont work 100% because they were never meant for a Droid. They were meant for a Snapdragon running phone...not the Droids hardware...and when they do optimize it for us Droid users it will run as smooth as 2.0.1 did when it came OTA...
  8. Corinacakes

Corinacakes Super Moderator Theme Developer

you need to add "no becuz i'm too gd stupid to try but i do have some parts of it" :D then i'll vote lol
  9. Topsy

Topsy New Member

This is exactly the route I went as well after trying 2.1.

Why deal with the bugs when you can have all the apps from 2.1 without the problems ?
  10. buee

buee New Member

Well, prepare to laugh. You wanna know what the best feature of 2.1 is IMO? It's not the new app tray, it's not live wallpapers, it's not 5 screens. The reason I want 2.1 is that seamless integration of voice-to-text for emails and text messaging. That's it. Go ahead and laugh.
  11. Magdroid

Magdroid New Member

A rather long post for software that has yet to be released, let alone intergrated to the moto Droid hardware. I say stop trying to scare people from 2.1 and keep opinions until after the actual release. (No offense of course).
  12. buee

buee New Member

As for the length, I had some free time on my hands while working 3rd shift. I hope I didn't give anyone the impression that I'm trying to scare them. I'm simply throwing this out there for people that wanted to try this on their Droid. I didn't really see a central location where all issues were pulled in to one post and thought I'd throw one out there. It's not to scare people, it's too inform them of some of the known issues out there with it right now. If they have the patience to check out 2.1 and deal with the problems that it has with the Droid at this point in time, good for them. If they're more cautious, and don't want to deal with the same headache I went through with it, then great. Just trying to save some Droid users some frustration.
  13. Topsy

Topsy New Member

I am using talk to speech On 2.01 to respond Even now
  14. Magdroid

Magdroid New Member

Gotchya, sorry I misunderstood your post. I thought you were trying to inform people about 2.1. I see that you are now trying to inform them of the issues with the leaked version.
  15. buee

buee New Member

Is that part of the 2.1 apps on 2.0.1 or....??? I'm very interested in that feature.
  16. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Exactly. The 2.1 roms are hacked (try at your own risk) type software. If they run totally smooth it will be a miracle. They are for people who aren't afraid to brick or can deal with the kinks till the official release. If your phone is super important and you don't have a spare to mess around with installing a cooked OS isn't advisable. I've been tempted so many times to root and try it out but I know it's coming soon and there's usually a price to pay for jumping in too early.
  17. buee

buee New Member

I understand that. But, again, I'm not trying to talk anyone in or out of jumping off a virtual bridge. I'm simply stating my experiences with the latest 2.1. Just stating what anyone else could find, but trying to save some time for those that don't wish for the headache. That's all.
  18. DroidXOne

DroidXOne New Member

Vi agree with you and I love the transparent pull down and I think the multi touch runs better than dolphin browser