My phone's ringing for no good reason since the lastest update.

bacardistreats

Reaction score
My Droid 4 began ringing with text messages and email alerts since the newest update. I called Verizon and figured out how to stop the phone ringing during email alerts but still have it ring with text messages. I thought the ringing problem was solved but now it rings for no reason that I can possibly imagine. It rings without a single new email arriving, it rings with no new text messages. Does anybody know how to correct this problem… or should I say.. make the ring tone more accurate in that it only rings when it’s suppose to?

Last edited:

GigaJake

Reaction score
Of course check to make sure your settings are all configured correctly, not only in the system but the apps as well. If you find that your system is just being sporadic, give it a factory reset, something I recommend to everyone who installs the ICS update.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

bacardistreats

Reaction score
My phone's ringing for no good reason.

The ringing didn't start until after I did a factory reset 2 days ago. I'm confident that one of the reasons it rings is when I send a text. I send a text and my phone will ring about 30 seconds later. I had to do a factory reset after the last update because my phone became incredibly hot to the touch and the battery level dropped drastically (I was in a wifi area at the time).

QUOTE=GigaJake;2251421]Of course check to make sure your settings are all configured correctly, not only in the system but the apps as well. If you find that your system is just being sporadic, give it a factory reset, something I recommend to everyone who installs the ICS update.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

GigaJake

Reaction score
That's strange, I've never heard of that happening. I can't give you a specific solution being that I've never been in your position before, but here's some general advice:

- Factory reset again, why not?
- Reinstall the update (grab the .217 leak file, it's the same thing)
- Force stop the apps and clear their data
- Manually readjust all the sound settings

And if all else completely fail...

- sbf using the .217 sbf file.

I don't know what's causing the problem but I highly doubt it's something that can't be solved. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Dave Lister

Reaction score
Are you using a 3rd party text messaging app? They seem to have problems handling the message delivery notification Verizon sends back in my experience. They're seen as another txt and you get the notification sound.

OP
B

bacardistreats

Reaction score
No, no 3rd party texting - it's all verizon through and through.

Are you using a 3rd party text messaging app? They seem to have problems handling the message delivery notification Verizon sends back in my experience. They're seen as another txt and you get the notification sound.

stoker420

Reaction score
mine is doing the same thing very hot battery drops quick and is constantly giving me the factory DROID EMAIL ALERT.

OP
B

bacardistreats

Reaction score
mine is doing the same thing very hot battery drops quick and is constantly giving me the factory DROID EMAIL ALERT.

isn't it infuriating???? I've got about 1.5 years until my contract has expired. This crap keeps up, I'll switch to the iphone. I've never heard of an iphone user complaining of this. Anyway, without you knowing it, your phone updated (and hopefully it wasn't during the day whe you couldn't use the phone for a few hours but it doesn't sound like it :angry:). My phone began the ringing problem as soon as the update was done. I've done a factory reinstall X2 with the second resulting in my phone only ringing when it is suppose to and right after I SEND a text message. I'm okay with that, I guess. I wouldn't suggest a factory reinstall if your phone is acting normal (with the new droid program, and the ringtone can be reset). All of my information was lost after update so I had nothing to lose.

Whit

Reaction score
Getting the same thing with my Droid X2. Sound notifications for charging are off. But once the phone charges to 100% whatever the current default ringtone is gets played continuously until the Droid is powered off. Very annoying.

OP
B

bacardistreats

Reaction score
let's hope gigajake and dave lister can provide a solution. I got laughed at when I presented the problem in the introductory forum. I'll have to go back to that and introduce those people to this forum.