My phone's alarm causes the phone to operate itself.

hezzerann

Reaction score
So I have had my RAZR for about a year and a half with no problems whatsoever, then right before Christmas it gained a mind of it's own. The first problem that I noticed was that when I would touch anywhere on my screen, multiple other places would sense that they were touched making it impossible to type, open whichever app you wanted without opening multiple others etc. The kicker was that I was on call and when the hospital tried to call me in I wasn't able to answer the phone because it was "touching" too many things at once opening all of them and making the phone completely useless. I went in to Verizon and they told me it was definitely a hardware problem and sent me a replacement. I am now on my third replacement with the same issues.

In addition to the multiple "touches" at once, when I have the phone plugged in at night (which I have to do so it doesn't die), the alarm does all kinds of odd things. Sometimes it will only do a short half second burst of noise and then snooze itself without me touching it. Sometimes it will dismiss the alarm all together. Sometimes it will decide to open multiple other apps also without me ever touching it. Examples follow:
Opens the text messages and even starts typing out messages.
Opens my dialer and dials people, this has happened twice now and my alarm goes off at 5 am, boy are my sister and best friend NOT happy with me over that!
Opens the browser and starts searching.
Opens facebook, kindle app etc.
Opens the camera setting off a really bright light that flashes itself on and off multiple times. After one of these mornings, my camera refused to open for about a week. Tuesday morning every time the alarm went off (I was testing it and hitting snooze repeatedly) I would hit the side volume button to snooze it, and the camera light would come on. It would do this every time the phone was face down on my bedside table, but not if I was holding it, or if it was face up, or if it was facedown on the mattress next to me.

It isn't only the alarm issue, I still have the multiple touches happening frequently and it's nearly impossible to get anything typed on it because of this, but the worst of the problems seem to be when it is plugged in and surrounding the alarm. I have had it into Verizon now multiple times and they thought it was an app problem, and of course after the first time they say they are unable to recreate the problem. I have tried resetting multiple times, have removed every app, have got a new SIM card and erased the SD card. My gmail opens 20 copies of the same email, but only on the phone, on the computer it is running perfectly. I installed an antivirus just to see if it could find anything and it didn't.

If I can't get it to work, I was thinking the next step would be to load a new gmail account and NOT do the backup assist with my old info in case there is some kind of "bug" that's stored on the cloud. The Verizon store is willing to "let" me switch to the RAZR M (lesser phone) but I am afraid that it's a "cloud" problem that will follow me to any new phone. I don't use the browser for much more than basic searches and IMDB, and the only apps I had installed were from Google Play and not new when the problems started.

I am at my breaking point and I refuse to switch to an Iphone!

Kraang

Reaction score
So I have had my RAZR for about a year and a half with no problems whatsoever, then right before Christmas it gained a mind of it's own. The first problem that I noticed was that when I would touch anywhere on my screen, multiple other places would sense that they were touched making it impossible to type, open whichever app you wanted without opening multiple others etc. The kicker was that I was on call and when the hospital tried to call me in I wasn't able to answer the phone because it was "touching" too many things at once opening all of them and making the phone completely useless. I went in to Verizon and they told me it was definitely a hardware problem and sent me a replacement. I am now on my third replacement with the same issues.

In addition to the multiple "touches" at once, when I have the phone plugged in at night (which I have to do so it doesn't die), the alarm does all kinds of odd things. Sometimes it will only do a short half second burst of noise and then snooze itself without me touching it. Sometimes it will dismiss the alarm all together. Sometimes it will decide to open multiple other apps also without me ever touching it. Examples follow:
Opens the text messages and even starts typing out messages.
Opens my dialer and dials people, this has happened twice now and my alarm goes off at 5 am, boy are my sister and best friend NOT happy with me over that!
Opens the browser and starts searching.
Opens facebook, kindle app etc.
Opens the camera setting off a really bright light that flashes itself on and off multiple times. After one of these mornings, my camera refused to open for about a week. Tuesday morning every time the alarm went off (I was testing it and hitting snooze repeatedly) I would hit the side volume button to snooze it, and the camera light would come on. It would do this every time the phone was face down on my bedside table, but not if I was holding it, or if it was face up, or if it was facedown on the mattress next to me.

It isn't only the alarm issue, I still have the multiple touches happening frequently and it's nearly impossible to get anything typed on it because of this, but the worst of the problems seem to be when it is plugged in and surrounding the alarm. I have had it into Verizon now multiple times and they thought it was an app problem, and of course after the first time they say they are unable to recreate the problem. I have tried resetting multiple times, have removed every app, have got a new SIM card and erased the SD card. My gmail opens 20 copies of the same email, but only on the phone, on the computer it is running perfectly. I installed an antivirus just to see if it could find anything and it didn't.

If I can't get it to work, I was thinking the next step would be to load a new gmail account and NOT do the backup assist with my old info in case there is some kind of "bug" that's stored on the cloud. The Verizon store is willing to "let" me switch to the RAZR M (lesser phone) but I am afraid that it's a "cloud" problem that will follow me to any new phone. I don't use the browser for much more than basic searches and IMDB, and the only apps I had installed were from Google Play and not new when the problems started.

I am at my breaking point and I refuse to switch to an Iphone!

My phone does the same thing, was hoping to find help here :/

GotnFX

Reaction score
My phone does the same thing, was hoping to find help here :/

Are you guys using the original charger cord that came with the phone? I have mistakenly used my wife's BB charger and my phone screen went crazy. I have heard other cords have caused the same thing. If it is the original, it could possibly have gone bad.