My phone reached 110 degrees today

jasonb

Reaction score
Processor temps at 800Mhz with SEIDO case , the battery is usually around 10 degrees lower .

gotcha. the hottest i have seen my cpu is 55C (which is 131F). 55C is not that hot, at least not dangerously hot.

Mikeharoldl

Reaction score
Thats not good it gets hot with GPS on, I was planning on using the GPS Nav for a 2,200 Mile Trip accross the US, You guys think it might get too hot using GPS+Pandora that long? I'd probably be using it for 4-5 hours at a time non-stop

jasonb

Reaction score
Thats not good it gets hot with GPS on, I was planning on using the GPS Nav for a 2,200 Mile Trip accross the US, You guys think it might get too hot using GPS+Pandora that long? I'd probably be using it for 4-5 hours at a time non-stop

that's what our warranty and assurion are for isn't it?

Reaction score

Warranty first. If the phone hurts itself doing functions it should be doing, it is covered. Also, I don't see any scenario where this causes damage. I guarantee there is cut off point to prevent damage from occurring.

jasonb

Reaction score

Warranty first. If the phone hurts itself doing functions it should be doing, it is covered. Also, I don't see any scenario where this causes damage. I guarantee there is cut off point to prevent damage from occurring.

exactly, i would really hope the phone would have some sort of failsafe built into it so it wouldn't overheat.

Mikeharoldl

Reaction score
It would just be a pain to not have a phone or Navigation when your halfway through the US lost. Would have to revert back to the old days of using paper maps and payphones, any not being able to get reviews of local motels :icon_eek:

jasonb

Reaction score
my phone is at 51c/123f on the processor and 44c/111f on the battery right now. the phone is currently in the multimedia dock charging and i am streaming music with DroidLive. the processor is set to 550max when it's charging. so i am not doing anything that the phone isn't made to do from the factory and i am still able to get it up to these temps. so that must mean that these temps are perfectly acceptable.

the highest i have seen my processor get so far is 56c, which is only 5 degrees higher than where it is right now. the highest i have seen my battery is 46c which is only 2 degrees higher than it is right now.

so my conclusion is that these temps are perfectly fine. if the phone is getting this hot when running at 550mhz then a couple degrees extra isn't going to hurt it.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a 2500 mile trip is no hassle for the Droid . Since I bought mine it worked continually for more than 8 hours a day , days in a row at 800Mhz-1GHz , 125-140 F with GPS and Pandora . If you don't overclock you have nothing to worry about , it's running in the normal parameters , the phone was designed to run a GPS application and get hot .

Mikeharoldl

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a 2500 mile trip is no hassle for the Droid . Since I bought mine it worked continually for more than 8 hours a day , days in a row at 800Mhz-1GHz , 125-140 F with GPS and Pandora . If you don't overclock you have nothing to worry about , it's running in the normal parameters , the phone was designed to run a GPS application and get hot .

Cool, thanx for the info, the phone is unbelievable :icon_ banana:

Last edited:

psujames41

Reaction score
Color me clueless but... where are you checking the temps? :redface:

qoncept

Reaction score
If you think 110f is too hot for your phone, I hope you weren't planning a trip to Arizona this summer.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Even 800Mhz makes the CPU run a LOT hotter... But if it's really a concern for you go into SetCPU and change the temp profile.... that reads battery temp though, but you can still adjust it so that it will decrease your max limit should the phone/battery get to hot.

There's really no need to be OC'd while using the Nav (or Playing Games) anyway so if it's a concern for you there are options.

Big Cam

Reaction score
My battery temp is currently 49C or 120F, it's been in my dock for about 5 hours streaming music all morning and I took it out and it is hot to the touch, it doesn't burn you but it is very hot.

Should I be concerned? I see posts on CPU and battery, I'm talking just battery. If the max is 113f per the manual, how can it go above that.

I'm not rooted.

idulfingz

Reaction score
different every week, you would have to ask
As posted above if you're talking 110F thants nothing... mine stays around 111F just playing Robodefense for a while (with a Seidio case on it)... The CPU is stated for 100C (i.e. over 200F) so you've got a LONG way to go before you need to worry.

Unless you're talking about 110C than at which point there's obviously something wrong because the phone should have shut itself down.

a little off subject but where did you get the banner of the droid vs win/mac?

superglen99

Reaction score
got ya beat, I hot 153 whilst wifi tethering 2 iphones, charging and surfing the web. No damage done :) This things good to 170 farenheit