My phone is slow. Any tips on how to speed it up? Custom ROMs?

InvisibleMan125

Reaction score
My phone gets really slow very often. I try using a task killer or cache cleaner to speed it back up, but they don't seem to help half of the time. So I was wondering if getting a custom ROM could help, but there are many different ones to choose from, and I know nothing about them. I am a total noob at this sort of thing, and this is the first smartphone I have ever had. I have rooted the phone already.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't use task killers. They aren't needed and they bog down the system further with apps constantly stopping and restarting.

Custom Roms can help and i'd also run the V6 supercharger script from Zeppelinrox.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

MrKleen

Reaction score
Stop using task killers and things will improve.

Beyond that either reboot or reset.

OP
I

InvisibleMan125

Reaction score
Alright, I've uninstalled the task killer. Are live wallpapers a big problem too? My phone used to run smoothly with them, but now I'm considering using a regular wallpaper, just in case this is slowing it down further.
Do you guys have any suggestions for a custom ROM? I've been thinking of trying them out for some time, and if there is a chance that it could help with the speed, I'd like to get one.

jdfrye04

Reaction score
This phone is not slow. Either a) you have too much stuff on your phone, bad app etc...(check watchdog for cpu usage) b) you have a software glitch (do a factory reset) or c) get a warranty replacement. If you want a custom rom then do it but you don't need a custom rom for this phone to be fast out of the box.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

MrKleen

Reaction score
For a custom rom I would suggest Das Bamf 4.9 "Gingerbread".

It is very fast and you have lots of overclocking options.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
I like liquis ginger sense alot, its the tbolts best rom but doesn't seem popular

Dugall12

Reaction score
To keep my androids running speedy I always use the back button to exit apps rather than just hit home. I clear my messages regularly, I never use live wallpapers and most importantly I move whatever apps that can be moved to the sd card using apps 2 sd. I've used these methods before on my Droid 1 and now my TB, they should work for you. Try after a restart.

Dugall12

Reaction score
Also don't load up your home screens with a bunch of widgets that'll also bog down your phone.