My Phone Is a Battery Monster! (Yes, another Batt Post)

marii

Reaction score
I need help trying to get the most out of my phone. I'm disappointed because I'm scared to use the phone now considering the battery life.

I am on my 3rd Droid 2. (all returned for various different reasons) I was already getting bad battery life on my previous Droid2. I've had this "Certified Like New" Droid 2 Global replacement for 2 days now and the battery situation has been a nightmare. The first night, I charged the battery for 6 hours and the charge went from 15% to 50%. I was astonished. Last night I charged it for 7 hours from 40% to 90%.

Here's some info to help assess my situation.

I mainly text, spend at most 3 hours talking on the phone and internet probably an hour or less a day. Usually its 4-5 Hours before it gets to 40%/30% (Where I charge it, people seem to call me after 40% battery)

Use ADW and only the TweetDeck Widget, I only have 3 HomeScreens and a few Shortcuts. No live wallpapers or visual voicemail.

I only have 29 apps (Recognised by Market) installed and fear to install any more.

• Currrently: Unplugged 3h 40m 55s- Battery 50%, Display 41%, Android System 14%, Market 11%, TweetDeck 6%, Cell Standby 6%, Dolphin Browser HD, 5%, Phone idle 5%, Android OS 3%, Handcent SMS 2%, Data Manager Service 2%, Lookout 2%
  • I have 3 BP6X 3.7V batteries that I switch out when I'm out and am nowhere near an outlet.
  • I have my screen set at lowest possible setting, wifi, bluetooth and gps off at all times.
  • Network Mode: CDMA, System Select: Automatic
  • No Audible Touch Tones, Locksounds, Haptic Feedback
  • No Animations, Screen Timeout: 30 Seconds (15 seconds got too annoying) No In Pocket Detection
  • No Background Data, Data Roaming and Data is Enabled when the Screen is on
  • My Mail only Manually Syncs
  • I have 3 mail accounts set up on the phone. (if that helps?)
  • Custom Battery Saver: Data turns off after 15 minutes on Off Peak and Peak Hours

I don't have the money to get an extended battery and I know smart phones get low battery life but if I can't get full functionality out of my phone, what's the point?

Please help if you can.

TIA!

Last edited:

fiveball02

Reaction score
What brand of charger are you using? Wall charger or usb charger?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

crumbete

Reaction score
There's something wrong, likely with the charger. My phone charges from 20% to 100% in less than an hour.

Although I do have a couple things to point out. The phone is rated for a max of 8.5 hours talk time, so if you're talking for 3 hours a day, there's a good chunk of your battery life right there.

Also, how long is your display on each day? That thing sucks a lot of power on it's own.

Also, is there wifi available where you are using the phone? If so, use it. The wifi connection (as long as it's connected to an access point) uses far less battery than data over 3G does. Of course, if there's no wifi present, then the wifi radio will be searching and searching and then drain the battery even quicker, and we don't want that.

OP
M

marii

Reaction score
What brand of charger are you using? Wall charger or usb charger?

I'm using the standard Motorola Charger plugged into an outlet. I switched outlets and though it charges more "normally" (took an hour to charge from 40% to 100% a few hours ago) the battery life is still shameful. (no phone calls today at all and it went from 100% to 60% in two hours from just texting. It doesn't charge at all plugged into my computer using the same charger.

OP
M

marii

Reaction score
There's something wrong, likely with the charger. My phone charges from 20% to 100% in less than an hour.

Although I do have a couple things to point out. The phone is rated for a max of 8.5 hours talk time, so if you're talking for 3 hours a day, there's a good chunk of your battery life right there.

Also, how long is your display on each day? That thing sucks a lot of power on it's own.

Also, is there wifi available where you are using the phone? If so, use it. The wifi connection (as long as it's connected to an access point) uses far less battery than data over 3G does. Of course, if there's no wifi present, then the wifi radio will be searching and searching and then drain the battery even quicker, and we don't want that.

I've always wished I could get 8... *sniff* most I've ever gotten out of my old Droid2 was 4. I just started checking the Display percentage today. At this moment it's 38%. But usually everytime I get a text I turn the display on.

I guess the reason why I've never turned the wifi on was because I was under the impression that the wifi connection took the same amount of power as 3G. I've always wanted to turn 3G off but I was scared that my texts would either not come through or come through extremely late.

Please excuse me if I sound clueless about the way the phone uses it's power. And thank you for your patience.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Mobile data is only needed for media texts. Normal texts come through fine with wifi on. I use droid oc with interactive module and i get a bit out of the phone. I work 8 or more hours and text/internet/game on breaks and lunch...sometimes at my desk. Also underclock to 1 ghz or 900 with similar custom settings to make use of the 5th step a little better.....300 450 600 750 900/1000

Sent from a D2G Dark Angel

rusty815

Reaction score
i usually get over 24 hours on my phone and thats bringing it down to about 40%, i have it set so that wifi or mobile data (i never have them both turned on at the same time) turn off when the screen is off, saves a heck of a lot of battery. besides the screen, mobile data is the biggest battery hog, wifi consumes a lot less battery. with mobile data always on, i get about 10 hours until i need to charge it (10%) and with wifi always on it gets about 16-18 hours until it needs to charge.

im running stock rooted with all the bloatware frozen. im a heavy texter and use the internet a lot when im not on my computer, and i also use my phone as an mp3 player, so it recieves pretty heavy usage, and im able to get the kind of battery life that i get.

OP
M

marii

Reaction score
. Also underclock to 1 ghz or 900 with similar custom settings to make use of the 5th step a little better.....300 450 600 750 900/1000

Sent from a D2G Dark Angel

My phone isn't rooted so I can't underclock.. I had a rooted D2 back in Feb but the touch screen broke and went rampant causing chaos. It became impossible to unroot therefore causing a dilemma when I wanted to send the phone back to VZW. That's why I haven't rooted since..(rooting didn't cause the crazy phantom screen) I send phones back to VZW almost once a month (since last Sept) for issues that arise.

*still wistfully dreams for an unfaulty phone*

OP
M

marii

Reaction score
i usually get over 24 hours on my phone and thats bringing it down to about 40%, i have it set so that wifi or mobile data (i never have them both turned on at the same time) turn off when the screen is off, saves a heck of a lot of battery. besides the screen, mobile data is the biggest battery hog, wifi consumes a lot less battery. with mobile data always on, i get about 10 hours until i need to charge it (10%) and with wifi always on it gets about 16-18 hours until it needs to charge.

im running stock rooted with all the bloatware frozen. im a heavy texter and use the internet a lot when im not on my computer, and i also use my phone as an mp3 player, so it recieves pretty heavy usage, and im able to get the kind of battery life that i get.

In 24 hours I will probably have to recharge the phone at least 8 times... I'm jealous! I have switched to Wifi an hour ago and I will have to see the difference in batt life.

I can't do all the things I was able to do when I had my iPhone like listen to music while surfing the internet or play games...I feel like instead of a "smart phone", that I just have a phone. If this issue gets resolved, I will feel like I'm getting my money's worth just like you.

biknut1

Reaction score
Battery life, what else?

I don't have the money to get an extended battery and I know smart phones get low battery life but if I can't get full functionality out of my phone, what's the point?

Please help if you can.

TIA!

I know you said that you can't afford an extended battery, but I wanted to share some information with you. I ordered the Gorilla Gadgets Extended Battery for my D2G and I love it! It is extended enough that there is a hump on the back of your phone, but for me the added life was well worth it. This "hump" that many people say they can't live with is about equal to taping another batter to the back of your phone. If you use a dock of any kind it won't work with this battery, but no problems otherwise. The phone isn't that much heavier, it isn't harder to hold, and isn't ugly. I paid less than $30 for it and a new back for the phone, shipping included. I ordered it one Friday morning from CA, and it made it to KY on Tuesday afternoon. I can run this battery down in a day, but I really have to work at it.

If you can find a way to spare $30, please give this battery some thought.