MY PHONE ALMOST NEVER RINGS

Redblues

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx HD
My phone will not ring most of the time. I will have the ringer on, the volume all the way up, and the phone beside me. Someone will call and I only find out because I didn't answer (because if it doesn't ring, I don't know anyone is calling) and the voicemail picks up. Then the voicemail notification tone goes off. What gives?!?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Do you have your calls set to go to voicemail? Have you tried calling the phone with it sitting next to you? Have you tried holding power and volume down for approximately 10 seconds and letting the phone reboot?

Sorry.. Lots of questions to ask, before we can try to give answers..

OP
Redblues

Redblues

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx HD
No it is not set to voicemail. In fact, a few weeks back, I called Verizon and had them increase the length of time it rings before VM picks up. (because of course it does ring if I actually walk away from it) It does ring sometimes, but not reliably. I reboot the darn thing almost daily. I don't use voicemail at all if I can help it. Usually I tell people to text any messages they want to leave.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hmm.. How long have you had the device? And how long has this been going on?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds like you need to go back to Verizon and get a replacement.

Do you use custom ringtones or the default ones? Have you tried different ringtones as well?

OP
Redblues

Redblues

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx HD
I use a mix of custom and default. I have had this phone since February. I had the same phone about a year before that. They both did it. The trouble is that every time I replace my phone, a new glitch appears and the old ones do not disappear. I will probably not use Verizon again when my contract is up, as the reception can be poor even in my own home. 2 or 3 bars is not unusual. Right now I have 5, which I do not believe I have ever seen in this room.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just curious...does this happen in different areas or only in one spot? We have next to no Verizon signal where I work and almost all calls I get go straight to voicemail and the phone never rings.

OP
Redblues

Redblues

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx HD
Sometimes it will happen in my own house. Yes it is more likely to occur in an area with bad reception, but not always. Even in a place with bad reception, if it goes to voicemail and I know (because of the notification tone) I can still return the call from right where I'm sitting. It's bad enough that I got a different phone and carrier for my business phone, which HAS to work for me no matter what.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Have you tried running the phone in Safe Mode for a day or so. That will stop all Play Store apps from running and only the system apps run. If it still happens you know it's not a third party app causing the issue....two phones with the same problem might be the same app. If it does not happen in Safe Mode then a Play Store app is the likely cause.

OP
Redblues

Redblues

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx HD
Have you tried running the phone in Safe Mode for a day or so. That will stop all Play Store apps from running and only the system apps run. If it still happens you know it's not a third party app causing the issue....two phones with the same problem might be the same app. If it does not happen in Safe Mode then a Play Store app is the likely cause.
I'll give that a try. How do I set it to 'safe' mode?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'll give that a try. How do I set it to 'safe' mode?
Start by pressing the power button like you are going to turn it off. On the Power Off screen, long press Power Off (press and hold) and select OK to the message. The phone will reboot into Safe Mode...kind of like a PC does. No Play Store apps will run, only the default system apps that came with the phone. If you rely on Play Store apps they will not work. Have a few people call you while you are in the same location where the phone does not ring. If the problem is gone...it's a Play Sore app causing the problem. If the problem still happens, you will not have a definite answer about why it happens but at least know it's not just some weird app causing it. When you are finished running in Safe Mode just turn the phone off and back on normally. Safe Mode is a great trouble-shooting tool to rule out hardware problems vs. Play Store apps.

OP
Redblues

Redblues

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Razr Maxx HD
Thank you so much!