My opinion on best rom (went through a couple different ones today)

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Jkeith247, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Jkeith247

Jkeith247 New Member

So, I have been bitten by the ROM bug. Over the past week I have tried many many different rom's. Overall, the most seemless and smoothest operating one has been BB 0.8. My trials have included the newest cyanogen, the smoked glass, ultimate droid, and one other I cant remember. Every rom but BB has seemed jittery, shakey, slow (even with set cpu). For all installations I followed all of the creators full instructions for installation including misc wipes, rom flashes, installs of different recovery progs and whatnot. I am not the most experienced droider out there, but figured I would share my own personal experience with the new rom's in hopes of saving some other people some time.

The combination I have found to be the most impressive and best was the BB 0.8, with the Chevy 10 slot 1.25ghz kernel and the smoked glass them that was posted with the BB 0.8 update on alldroid. The one and only thing that I miss with this combination is the Nexus one 3d app drawer. I really like that app drawer but the seemlessness of the current configuration outweighs the appdrawer by far.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the one thing that really keeps me addicted to BB is the overall snapy feeling of the rom. Everything happens almost instantly and feels rock solid....

Just thought I would share :)
  2. pthance

pthance New Member

Ahh.....a biased opinion. If its "keeping you addicted" then you already drank the kool-aid. J/K, everyone here is entitled to their opinions here, glad you found a ROM that suites you. :biggrin:
  3. Jkeith247

Jkeith247 New Member

Thanks man, It deffinetely takes a bunch of time to find the one that works the best. Switching back and forth (especially after you forget to do the nandroid backup :icon_evil:) between different rom's gets time consuming!

Another question I have though, is there anyway to get that "3d app drawer" in this rom easily?
  4. pthance

pthance New Member

Well I found that for me the best Launcher2.apk (most stable, fluid, and 3D drawer enabled) happens to come from Koush's CyanogenMod ROM. I would say that you may find though, that with all Launcher2.apks out there with the 3D app drawer you may loose just a smidgen of that snappyness you have found so addictive. Anyways....here's a link:

Launcher2.apk
  5. Jkeith247

Jkeith247 New Member

Nice, thank you very much!
  6. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I have used all of those ROMs as well and didn't find any of them to be slow or jittery. I assume you already know this, but I will say it anyway. Using SetCPU by itself isn't going to overclock your phone. Some of the ROMs you listed above, such as Ultimate Droid, require you to flash a different kernel if you want to run at any speed over 600mhz. Some have these kernels built into the ROM. I have run most of these ROMs at 1000-1200 mhz and they are all fast, especially compared to a stock Droid.
  7. Jkeith247

Jkeith247 New Member

I am right there with ya, they are all faster than stock droid. In the end though BB just seems more solid and snappy to me. The one other thing that bothered me about all the other roms is the gallery. BB's galler is very fast and fluid and the other ones just take too long to load.
  8. thed0cb

thed0cb New Member

I am going to give it up to Koush, with Launcher 2 specially with the NexTheme, sexy..