My only compliants on the x

droidxxx2185

Reaction score
Does anyone else have these issues? I think the four navigation buttons seem cheap and I feel over time that there going to break. And I think the texting and keyboard are horrible. Its hard to edit and go back on texting. Other then that I think my droid is is great and this is coming from a ex iphone owner as of two days ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I don't think the buttons are any cheaper than the iphones 1 button. All they need to do is hit the contact below. Plus you have 4 vs 1 so you are spreading out how many times each button gets pressed. Granted the 3 on the left get used the most.

I too came from iphone land 2 weeks ago and I don't miss it at all.

There are 3rd party keyboards and texting apps that are quite popular. I am still stock with them, but I am taking things slow.

My DROID beat-up your iphone

OP
D

droidxxx2185

Reaction score
Yeah and when I went to sell my iphone it crashed on me and froze at the apple logo. So I couldn't make the sale. I thru the piece if **** off the pier in huntington beach after a week of trying to get the phone to boot up.

Reaction score
That's awesome!

I have 2 iphones at home I need to reset and sell. We got tired of at&t's crappy phone service.. dropped call after dropped call.

Biggest thing with the droid is to get yourself a backup as soon as you decide to start tinkering with it.

My DROID beat-up your iphone

OP
D

droidxxx2185

Reaction score
I was sick of paying so much and not getting unlimited net

the5barrons

Reaction score
How exactly is a button not to feel cheap? Its not like they wiggle out fall out. Just sayin.

And I feel like I use the search button (far right) a lot. I don't feel like I use the far left for anything.

I rooted mainly to get bloat off the phone and to be able to rub the rooted only apps...like wifi tether. I don't think it was but about 10 days before I ran the bgx theme deodex zip. One step at a time right?

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

cpjr

Reaction score
Personally, coming from the Droid 1 and Incredible...I HATE the buttons on the X. I much prefer the soft buttons. Otherwise, love the X.

JWDX

Reaction score
Personally, coming from the Droid 1 and Incredible...I HATE the buttons on the X. I much prefer the soft buttons. Otherwise, love the X.

I like the hard buttons and the click feedback because it's more difficult to make an accidental press.
Only time will tell if the DX engineers did their job and picked switches that are durable. They didn't go cheap on anything else so far that I can tell.

OP
D

droidxxx2185

Reaction score
Even most ppl I know said the buttons felt cheap. Maybe im over reacting but I honeslty think its going to become a issue in the long run. But like I said I really do think the x is a great phone. I was lucky I got my x for free. Verizon in anahien ca had them free for ppl with good credit. Just had to pay my set up fee.

R

RETG

From playing with the X a few times in a store and with the ones my friends have, I can say the feel of the buttons changes considerably, depending on where you are.

In a nice air conditioned store, they fell loose, but take one out to the desert in 110 degree heat, and having been in direct sunlight for a few hours and they definitely do not feel as loose.

Plastic expands in the heat, so the buttons under most circumstances might appear to be loose, but if they warm up, they Will expand.

As for the feel in a store, they feel no cheaper than any other type of plastic push button I have played with. That includes my BBs, my GPS devices (although they have rubber covers over the buttons), my MOTO two-way radios, and even the MOTO satellite phone. I believe the buttons should last the normal life of the phone. I would hope, MOTO did some robotic tests on these buttons before releasing the X.

But that is only an opinion at this time.

JWDX

Reaction score
From playing with the X a few times in a store and with the ones my friends have, I can say the feel of the buttons changes considerably, depending on where you are.

In a nice air conditioned store, they fell loose, but take one out to the desert in 110 degree heat, and having been in direct sunlight for a few hours and they definitely do not feel as loose.

Plastic expands in the heat, so the buttons under most circumstances might appear to be loose, but if they warm up, they Will expand.

As for the feel in a store, they feel no cheaper than any other type of plastic push button I have played with. That includes my BBs, my GPS devices (although they have rubber covers over the buttons), my MOTO two-way radios, and even the MOTO satellite phone. I believe the buttons should last the normal life of the phone. I would hope, MOTO did some robotic tests on these buttons before releasing the X.

But that is only an opinion at this time.

The fact that you have observed a different feel for different temperatures tells me that the engineers have selected a button that is durable over a wide range of temps. This is a good thing since the phone will heat/cool due to many different variables like usage, ambient temp, direct sunlight, etc. and the hardware has to compensate. The engineers know about how long the buttons should last based on mean time between failure analysis and testing data from the manufacturer.
The problem is the business/marketing people who make the decisions on how much they should pay/charge for the product, so sometimes the recommendations from the engineers are over ruled. The product is only as reliable as the management allows, and all of that is based on forcasted profit.
They don't release the technical info, so like I said before, only time will tell. It's sort of like the phone battery if it last at least as long as the two year phone subscription, then that's just fine as far as the manufacturer is concerned because by that time, they want to sell you a new phone anyway.

lterry913

Reaction score
texting correction

Does anyone else have these issues? I think the four navigation buttons seem cheap and I feel over time that there going to break. And I think the texting and keyboard are horrible. Its hard to edit and go back on texting. Other then that I think my droid is is great and this is coming from a ex iphone owner as of two days ago.

Are you pressing and holding on the word til the red bulls eye comes up...this let you correct easily by targeting the correction area and dragging to area of interest...I have installed ultra key board and like the customization capabilities for both regular or tracing type keyboards...it allso lets you double tap on a word to highlight it an delete it quickly for correction... but the bullsleye works with any keyboard and is an awesome way to correct imo

OP
D

droidxxx2185

Reaction score
Yeah I do use it. Its still a pain for me. But im sure ill get used to it.

cpinto

Reaction score

I actually like the hardware buttons. I remember the D1 touch buttons sometimes would not work. The physical buttons seem to always work.

Wish they were a little bigger.