My Once A Day Gremlin

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by jewopaho, Jul 30, 2013.

1. jewopaho

jewopaho New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Strange ... once per day at about the same time, the battery heats up, and the phone freezes. The only solution is to shut down, wait a few minutes, then restart. I've done the usual ... remove/re-install the battery (even changed it ... I have two). Of course, the stock answer from the techs is to reset everything to factory specs (translation: "I have no idea how to fix this."). When asked how this would resolve the issue, the AT&T tech couldn't answer, and conceded that the reset is the "one size fits all" solution to anything they can't handle. The device is out of factory warranty, but I do have a Square Trade contract (already paid for a new glass). Frankly, I don't want to take the phone in (and be without it ... I need it for business) if I don't have to. Any suggestions would be genuinely appreciated. Thanks in advance ...

Al

2. legalkill

legalkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force
    Is it trying to backup or sync anything? or are you in a poor signal area at the same time of day?

• Like Like x 1
  3. xtor

xtor Senior Member

Ratings:
    +106
    I'd check the battery to see if it is swollen, if it is ,it's bad, my dx did this because of a swollen battery, I didn't catch it in time, I bought a new battery for it and the back cover wont go on because it swelled internal parts, but it still works. Kinda weird:(

sent from a note yee (2)

4. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Did this just start after installing any apps? You may have a rogue app causing the problem.

5. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Agreed. Sounds like a backup or sync issue since it's doing it at relatively the same time each day.
    Check cloud syncs, weather apps, email accounts, any keyboards that backup your dictionary off device somewhere, social media apps, game scores that sync, etc. As posted above, if your signal is weaker at that time of day it could compound the sync/backup issue

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

6. legalkill

legalkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force
    I have a poor signal warning built into mine. Its called "my pocket gets hot". and previous version of the verizon radio firmware meant that the signal did not recover from 3g even if you went into a 4g area without a reboot or refresh by turning off radios. Not sure how ATT versions do when going across poor coverage but i imagine probably similar. Make sure you update your software as well.

7. jewopaho

jewopaho New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your input. I've already changed out the battery ... same results. I haven't downloaded any additional apps. The signal is very strong throughout the area, and I'm not in the same location at any given time of day. The only recent change was a replacement of the glass, but this malfunction began well after that. The apps update automatically, and I'm routinely notified. I'm just wondering whether to move everything to the SD card and reset the device ... don't really want to do this, but I may not have another option at this point. I'll sync the phone once more (hopefully the Kies nightmare has been resolved) and see what happens ... thanks again to all.

Al

8. jewopaho

jewopaho New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well ... sometimes the most complicated problems have the simplest solutions. I did something I don't normally do ... shut the phone down overnight. It 's been working fine all day ... probably just needed a bit of R&R. Thanks again for all your help.

Al