My Nexus vs Razr vs Rezound review.

orion2001

Reaction score
Great post and review op. But it's funny how some things can be very subjective. I have the complete opposite view to you when it comes to form factor. I own the GN and my wife got the Rezound, and as much as I love the look of my GN, the form factor is just a bit awkward for holding for prolonged periods of time. My wife got the Rezound solely because it is the least widest of all the new phones (just a tad bit wider than our OG Droids). I have to say that the Rezound does feel really really nice in my hand and it is really comfortable to hold and use. On my GN, I am always scared to reach over and pull down my notification bar when using one hand to hold it, as it feels pretty precariously balanced.

I also had to get a TPU case for my GN because it feels pretty slippery with the plastic body, and that made it a tad bit wider and even more uncomfortable to hold.

The Razr, I like it in the looks/design department, but it felt absolutely atrocious in the ergonomics department. It is way worse than the GN in how the weight is distributed imho.

But all that aside, I have to agree with all your points. The network reception on the Rezound is absolutely phenomenal. It consistently spanks my GN when I perform side by side speed tests on 4G/3G (sometimes almost twice as fast as my GN) at home...where 4G coverage is decent but a little on the weak side in terms of signal strength.

I really do like the Rezound and it is a pretty fun and snappy phone...except in the app drawer where Sense really begins to show its suckiness. My wife loves all the widgets and customizations though...so it all depends on what you're looking for in a phone. I have to say that I was pretty appalled at the amount of bloatware that comes preloaded on the Rezound (and presumably Razr). Coming from and OG to the GN, I guess I had missed out on how badly VZW has been bloating up Android phones over the last couple of years.

I'm waiting for some nice and stable Rezound roms so I can convince my wife to let me root and ROM her phone so I can get rid of all the extra crap on it. I think the Rezound will be a great phone if HTC do a good job of porting ICS to it.

I personally have no interest in Motorola phones any more due to their refusal to unlock the bootloader on their phones. The only reason we were able to see our OG droids through 2 years was due to the fantastic support from the OG devs, that led to us getting updates long after Motorola had abandoned the phone.

PS - Despite everything I've written above...I wouldn't trade the GN for either of the other 2 phones :). I'm actually glad with the phones we bought. I think the Rezound is perfect for my wife and the GN perfect for me :)

Last edited:

rotordroid

Reaction score
I'm finally looking for a replacement for my OG DROID and this write up has really helped me, thank you!!!

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

dbmcelroy

Reaction score
Very fair review all the way around. The differences are relatively minor between the big 3 and you could be happy with any of them. I was waiting for the release of the NExus, biding my time with a Rezound. However I came to be so satisfied with the Rezound and the buttery smoothness of the phones response, and the bright vibrant clarity of the screen - I kept it and am very satisfied. I would make one point to ORian 2001 and others who occasionally make reference to a "Lag" in the app drawer. I do not think what you are experiencing is really a lag. Rezound is programmed to display apps in "Pages" not a continuous scroll like some other interfaces do. THis means if you release the app display with the screen between 2 pages it sill snap to whichever page you are closer too, the one above or the one below. This is the intended design of the screen. I understand that it's behavior could be looked at as a "Lag" if you were expecting a continuous scroll that would stop scrolling at any point. Best wishes for everyone to enjoy their new phones.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
What a difference a rom makes
32350125-1853-2f94.jpg

32350125-1860-e741.jpg

32350125-186f-9905.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

RacingManiac

Reaction score
Adding some other variable...Verizon just dropped the price of Rezound to $199 with contract....$100 bucks is not insignificant at all, for a 4G LTE top of the line phone...

With unlocked bootloader it is a very tempting device I'd think for potential buyer...

Insidious

Reaction score
Adding some other variable...Verizon just dropped the price of Rezound to $199 with contract....$100 bucks is not insignificant at all, for a 4G LTE top of the line phone...

With unlocked bootloader it is a very tempting device I'd think for potential buyer...

If this is true, my decision has just gotten harder :b.

hydro556

Reaction score
I have been checking out the Rezound some more trying to decide if I am going to send back my Nexus, but I honestly think I am becoming less likely to. Especially if Google announce an OTA.

My issues are mostly with the screen on the Rezound, and the design of the phone. Looking at them side by side, my Nexus really comes off as overall looking better. The colors and crispness are just excellent. Also, the Rezound just looks stale, esecially next to my Nexus. It reminds me totally of my HTC Inc. I loved that phone, but it seems so dated.

I am having pretty good luck with my Nexus of late, and I am really having a tough time convinving myself to give it up. I am really concerned that 6 months from now, I will be regretting it. I know Google will stick with the Nexus, where I am afraid the Rezound is just going to be an older model HTC.

Tough call, but I think I am starting to lean back toward the Nexus.

daware

Reaction score
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to own and comment on them all. This is slightly off topic, but is there any news about a Google/Verizon/Samsung fix or OTA update to address signal problems? As another posted in the thread, it would be nice to at least hear some announcement before January 15 when the deadline for most people to return devices is up. I'm loving the Nexus, but a noticeably weaker signal and data drops are something I wouldn't want to deal with for the length of my contract. That said, if I return my Nexus, I'd go with the Rezound or wait for another device to come out.