my nexus is sllloooooowwww

streetmike

Reaction score
Mine ran like crap when I had that cloud live wallpaper on it (from the 10 cent sale). Once I added a regular wallpaper its been smooth as butter.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
switching orientation on the Nexus is a known issue. It is slow and hopefully Google is working on a fix.

Thank you.. havent seen too much on this issue.. regardless of any issues.. this phone works fine for me.. i really had nothing to complain about til i came on these forums looking for trouble ;)

OP
A

angelman

Reaction score
One thing I found that in retrospect was rather obvious was that having the haptic feedback (vibration on touch) for the keyboard when typing is a bad idea. I like how it feels but that seemed to be the problem with the slowness in landscape mode. As soon as I turned that off then typing in landscape mode was as fast as portrait. I hope this is a bug google can fix, seems like it might be a simple fix.

357a

Reaction score
Galaxy Nexus running slow

I've had my GN for about 6 weeks now and it was starting to run really slow. I switched to a static wall paper from from the live 'microbes' wallpapper and this really sped the phone up. Flipping between screens got faster and fbook and browser seem to have sped back up. I miss the little microbes floating in the background but I like the fast phone better.

I also tried the App Killer Advanced App and that didn't really work.

dschleis

Reaction score
Most of the live wallpapers out right now are not optimized for ICS, which is why they run so poorly. Strange that the Nexus would ship with lwp's that weren't optimized, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Most of the live wallpapers out right now are not optimized for ICS, which is why they run so poorly. Strange that the Nexus would ship with lwp's that weren't optimized, but hopefully that will be fixed soon.

I was running the wallpaper with the bubbles, the one that mesmerized me during the press conference. Ran pretty smoothly with that one

dschleis

Reaction score
I was running the wallpaper with the bubbles, the one that mesmerized me during the press conference. Ran pretty smoothly with that one

Yea, that one and phase beam are the only ones that I've personally tried that have worked flawlessly. Shows that a lwp can actually work on this phone once optimized, which I've never seen on any other phone!

Creed

Reaction score
The problem with LWP is not really optimization, it has to do with your kernel. By default it prioritizes battery and performance over things like aesthetics. This means that (in simple terms) it will try to stay at 350MHz when you are simply scrolling through homepages which at times is simply not enough to actually do all of the things required. Because of this, the performance really decrease (of the LWP), as soon as it hits a certain FPS margin (I want to say 35FPS but am not sure) it prioritizes the LWP above other things, such as responsiveness. The default kernel is doing a balancing act pretty successfully but you will run into problems. If you want a more responsive feel try either a different kernel or download set cpu and change the governor to something more powerful.

This is the extent of my knowledge from reading many custom kernel threads.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What Creed said.

When your Nexus thinks you don't need it's power it will drop to 350MHz. So when you're just on your home screen with a live wallpaper, it's running at less than 1/3 of it's normal speed and will lag.

Once they optimize the CPU auto adjust you won't see these problems anymore, it will cause your battery to drain a bit quicker though because your CPU won't be idling as much as before.

nadav64

Reaction score
You're more than welcome to read my thread about this slow phone :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yea, that one and phase beam are the only ones that I've personally tried that have worked flawlessly. Shows that a lwp can actually work on this phone once optimized, which I've never seen on any other phone!
Well a lwp is going to take its toll on any phone, especially that water/leaves one, though it is fun to mess with. I don't run a lwp anymore, but for the week or two I did I didn't notice any real slowdown of the phone.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
My uptime since the last reboot is 6 days 17 hours. Sometimes it takes a tiny little bit longer to redraw the screen but I want to see how many days I can go without rebooting.

codye91

Reaction score
I keep having the lagg issue when typing in landscape mode. I don't know what the deal is with that. I run a task killer and reboot every couple of days. If I don't reboot, my available ram will drop below 200MB and when it does, that's when the lagg ensues. I absolutely love the phone otherwise. I couldn't be happier. I've had it a week, so it's almost time to root.

Justifi

Reaction score
I've had my GN for about 6 weeks now and it was starting to run really slow. I switched to a static wall paper from from the live 'microbes' wallpapper and this really sped the phone up. Flipping between screens got faster and fbook and browser seem to have sped back up. I miss the little microbes floating in the background but I like the fast phone better.

I also tried the App Killer Advanced App and that didn't really work.

Unlock, root, and flash Codename 1.2.0. It's night and day compared to stock in every respect.