My Nexus is boxed up...

pool_shark

Reaction score
Then why is my Nexus plugging along just fine? No call drops, data signal is always there, provided I'm in a good coverage area. I pull great speeds too.

Mine works fine too with regard to the signal and calls, but that doesn't mean those who are having problems (and there are lots of them) are making it up or doing anything wrong.

Last edited:
OP
P

pabowhunter

Reaction score
I know the excuses are lame and doesn't make those who are having issues feel any better.
I usually don't suggest that users mod their devices (not that there is anything wrong with it) but since you purchased the Nexus for "pleasure" as you stated, then perhaps you should play with it. You currently have it boxed up so you have nothing to lose, right?

Try the 4.0.4 radio, lots of people say it made an improvement, and yes, some have said it didn't help.

I may just have to root it because I just can't see trading it for a used phone that may have more trouble... I never had it reboot well I lie it did one time after I downloaded flash update so I got rid of it and never did it again.... But Im afraid of root because It caused trouble on my Thunderbolt.. I will wait it out till the end of April if no OTA it's got to go...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I may just have to root it because I just can't see trading it for a used phone that may have more trouble... I never had it reboot well I lie it did one time after I downloaded flash update so I got rid of it and never did it again.... But Im afraid of root because It caused trouble on my Thunderbolt.. I will wait it out till the end of April if no OTA it's got to go...

You will be rewarded for your patience,Young Jedi. :biggrin:

pool_shark

Reaction score

What kind of trouble did you have when you rooted your TB?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I switched to the rezound and I get on avg -60dBm as oppose to my best nexus on it best day getting -115 dBm.

You have to know the Rezound doesn't show 4G signal, it's been proven 100x.

skruid

Reaction score
I don't have issues with my nexus, but I rooted it from day one(thats why I bought it), the nexus shows accurate signal, where the rezound and razr and razr Max all have bloated signal that are purposely displaying a stronger signal that is really there, because of the way they show the signal strength, I live in Sioux city iowa and never drop a 4g signal or a call. I am not bashing the razr or the rezound they both are excellent phones, and every phone from every company has some kinda of issues, that is just the way it is, nothing is perfect, seems like every phone that is sold there is a complaint post and there is a this is the best phone post, lol
I get anywhere from 65 to 90 dbm all the time
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You have to know the Rezound doesn't show 4G signal, it's been proven 100x.

Most consumers, like myself, care about one thing. Does it work. Now when the nexus was working the data speeds were faster than that of my rezound. But I will sacrifice 5% speed for consistency. When I go to stream a movie or nfl game and the nexus cant even go 5 mins with out losing a connection it does me no good it its 5% faster. Both my rezound and my tbolt streams movies and a full nfl game with out even dropping to 3g. In fact I can say that I may experience that drop to 3g maybe once a week (and that is because htc has slow handoffs..or it will stick to 3g and I have to switch to airplane mode). I am not saying the rezound is the greatest phone on vzw. I am just saying that it works. When they galaxy nexus get an update to truly fix the issues with the radio I will jump back on board. But I use my phone all the time and the reason I choose vzw is because it has a reliable network. When I am on an important call or need to email engineering some pics asap I know my phone can handle that. I need my phone for work just as much as I need it for play and if I have a device that struggles to stay connected then I cant justify having that as my daily driver.

And yes I know vzw lte has had some hiccups since its debut.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My point is, don't compare dBm's when we know they don't represent the same signal. Being a mod people look at your posts and think of what you say as being factual. Comparing a -60dBm on a Rezound to a -120dBm on a Nexus is worthless information.

I stream music and netflix constantly on my Nexus, never have problems and my dBm for 4G is -89 inside my home.

OP
P

pabowhunter

Reaction score
What kind of trouble did you have when you rooted your TB?

I had to pay a lad to root it for me because I know nothing about it.... It worked fine for a bit like 2 days then it started rebooting constantly then over clocking the processor by itself I would reset the processor manually everyday 5 6 times I think it was DAS BAMF rom... Then one day it was locked up on some screen while on a hunting trip to Ohio and had to pay another person in a small shop to reset it
That cost me 75.00 plus 90.00 for the root.... Im just not computer literate enough to take in this task or fix or constantly update my phone if I run into problems... I will wait it out as stated till the end of April if no OTA it's got to go.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had to pay a lad to root it for me because I know nothing about it.... It worked fine for a bit like 2 days then it started rebooting constantly then over clocking the processor by itself I would reset the processor manually everyday 5 6 times I think it was DAS BAMF rom... Then one day it was locked up on some screen while on a hunting trip to Ohio and had to pay another person in a small shop to reset it
That cost me 75.00 plus 90.00 for the root.... Im just not computer literate enough to take in this task or fix or constantly update my phone if I run into problems... I will wait it out as stated till the end of April if no OTA it's got to go.

Next time go on youtube, the guides literally walk you through rooting, it's extremely easy and free =P

OP
P

pabowhunter

Reaction score
Next time go on youtube, the guides literally walk you through rooting, it's extremely easy and free =P

Thanks I may study the topic and see.

dustinslee

Reaction score
I went through the same thing with the nexus dropping calls and low signal... it done great were signal was strong but if signal was 2 bars or less it would act up... I got the razr and never looked back for a phone... but I am typing this from my nexus BC I use it on wifi at home the nexus has a beautiful screen!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums