My Nexus is boxed up...

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by pabowhunter, Apr 12, 2012.

1. pabowhunter

pabowhunter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    After having my Nexus for 3 months and experiencing nothing but dropped data low signal I had enough... It now sits in its box in my kitchen cabinet... It's a shame it has the potential to be a great device but the bugs it came loaded with would test the nerve of anyone... I am part to blame for not returning it during it's window... But I was assured by Verizon it would be corrected and it's not a device problem... And if by some chance it is the device it would be cured by a update in a timely fashion.... I primarily use a Razr for Business and added the Nexus for pleasure so to speak and got very little of that from it... I can honestly say it never dropped a call and I keep it on CDMA mode because im not near a 4G area.. But its ability to pick up and keep a signal for data in my home is annoying...while my Razr has full bars at home and shines as I type this..... I occasionally take it from its box and turn it on and hope to see a OTA. Update to fix the bugs.... The Phone has maybe a week worth of life out of it and I hate to return it for a certified used phone but am seriously considering it.... Any idea when a update will be released this is killing me
    ... I may just sell it and get a Iphone 4S and run it on Straight talk for 45.00 unlimited everything my friend has one on it and its as fast as my Razr......Hate to do it but it's a solid device must say that....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

2. pabowhunter

pabowhunter Member

Ratings:
    +3
    And by no means am I hating on the phone I only hope it will be worked out soon so I can enjoy it.... I would consider root but had it done on my old thunderbolt and had rebooting issues and over clocking trouble and i am not savy enough to fix these types of issues and have to pay a guy to do it for me... So if anyone's heard anything about a OTA please give me hope.. Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

3. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,629
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Sorry to hear the Nexus didn't work out for ya.

As for the OTA, there is no official word of release yet, but all rumors point to a OTA within the next couple weeks (then again how many times have we heard that?). You'll just have to periodically check around here, especially in the news section to find out.

4. GalaxyFlatulence

Ratings:
    +10
    It's not a device problem, it's Vzw's exchange server, but they've yet to totally fix it. It is better though, at least in my area.

5. eagle923

eagle923 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I see you post this a lot, but why do the Razr and Rezound my wife and I have (after selling our Nexus phones and trying iPhones, then missing 4G!) get great signal and reception and all four Nexus phones we had problems with?

Even when the Nexus HAD signal it was much worse. Side by side with the Razr running ICS, the Razr would have -87dbm and the Nexus -106dbm. I could make calls with the Razr and not the Nexus. The Razr also switches from 4g to 3g and back fine.

As much as I wanted to love the Nexus (it's screen blows away the Razr), it just fails as an actual phone. As a wifi gamer and entertainment devices its fine.

6. GalaxyFlatulence

Ratings:
    +10
    All LTE phones that have been released have the same signal complaints. Some more than others. That's the inconsistent nature of exchange server problems.

7. GalaxyFlatulence

Ratings:
    +10
    AND different GN might better for you, Btw.

8. pool_shark

pool_shark Active Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I know the excuses are lame and doesn't make those who are having issues feel any better.
    I usually don't suggest that users mod their devices (not that there is anything wrong with it) but since you purchased the Nexus for "pleasure" as you stated, then perhaps you should play with it. You currently have it boxed up so you have nothing to lose, right?

Try the 4.0.4 radio, lots of people say it made an improvement, and yes, some have said it didn't help.

9. eagle923

eagle923 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I have a hard time believing 4 different GNex (3 new, one CLNR) had severe problems and yet the Razr and Rezound from Craigslist are perfectly fine. I do believe that the 4G stuff still has some issues, but the Nexus' problems exacerbate it.

Sitting on my couch, ALL of the Nexus' I tried had problems. It didn't matter what radios (4.02, 4.03, 4.03/4.02 hybrid, 4.04) were flashed they still had poor signal. I tried 4 Nexus over a month and nothing helped, yet the first two phones I buy from random Joes online work without issue.

I flashed the leaked ICS (4.03) onto my Razr yesterday and it has zero problems with signal. I even get signal in the basement at work (which never happened even on 3G).

Sorry, I don't believe it.

10. Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Then why is my Nexus plugging along just fine? No call drops, data signal is always there, provided I'm in a good coverage area. I pull great speeds too.

11. eagle923

eagle923 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I don't doubt that there are some good GNex out there. The variability just seems much higher with them. It isn't a good sign when the standard advice is to keep exchanging the phone "hoping" to get a good one...

12. GalaxyFlatulence

Ratings:
    +10
    Ignorance is bliss :D