My Motorola roid 2 won't shut off

wsevedge

Reaction score
Long pressing the power button no longer pops up the shut down pop up window. When I removed and replaced the battery, it booted up immediately.
The screen timeout works, but pressing the power button doesn't reactivate the screen, I can only do that by using the keyboard slider. Was this caused by some deeply secret button press combination, I stumbled on to? This just started today

Squeak87

Reaction score
I haven't had an issue like that with my D2 but there are a few known problems, Verizon just released an update to OS 2.3.4 so maybe this will help. If not call Verizon and complain about the problem, sometimes they can replace the phone. Another solution is maybe rooting your D2, not sure if any of these will help but I hope so!

OP
W

wsevedge

Reaction score
thanks for the reply

I haven't had an issue like that with my D2 but there are a few known problems, Verizon just released an update to OS 2.3.4 so maybe this will help. If not call Verizon and complain about the problem, sometimes they can replace the phone. Another solution is maybe rooting your D2, not sure if any of these will help but I hope so!

My wife suggested taking the D2 to Verizon, but I needed some feedback so I don't go to the store and look like a dork, finding that a simple keystroke combo fixes this issue. My D2 already has the OS 2.3.4 (I don't know when that happened, but I did install the Sys Ver from 4.5.604 to 4.5.621, hoping that it would correct the problem)

Squeak87

Reaction score
If you are still having issues then I would go to Verizon, explain to them exactly what is happening because sometimes this is a manufacturer's flaw and they may replace it for free.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
sounds like the power button is stuck on
if rooted, you can use ButtonRemapper or key remapping (see last page, and D2 will be in different folder) ,
to disable power button, and make camera power

if are still under warranty or insurance, return it to verizon
you can reboot phone with alt-shift-delete
if button is stuck, you can't have phone off, with battery in

edit:
[TIPS] Broken Power Button? No Problem!

use shake and lock from the market.
Use screen off and lock from the market. (Its a Widget)

Last edited:
OP
W

wsevedge

Reaction score
Thanks E1 for your suggestions

I took my D2 to Verizon, They showed me the water markers that were colored and said I had water damage. I know it didn't just happen, so maybe sometime earlier. Anyways.... My upgrade period comes due in June, I'll just wait and get a new 4G phone. I can only assume this issue is closed, unless somebody has more work arounds

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I still think, the power button is stuck/broken
do you want try rooting it, and use button remapper