My mini-review of the Motorola Hint

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
When the Motorola Hint bluetooth earpiece was announced a few months ago, I was certainly intrigued by it's advertised capabilities and more importantly, the size. I personally had a Bluetooth headset that was going on 8 years old at the time so it was a bit large and clunky. I wasn't looking to be "out on the town" with a new headset but just something to have around the house would be nice so I could do other things while talking on the phone if needed and it appeared the Hint fit that bill.

However I initially had sticker shock. $150 does look rather steep for this little piece of technology. And, it only works optimally with 2 models in particular: the 2014 Moto X and the Droid Turbo. I was close since I've got a first-gen Moto X. I ended up receiving a Hint as a Christmas gift and was looking forward to trying it out.

The fit of the Hint in my ear is very comfortable right out of the box. It does include extra gel-ish inserts of varying sizes if you need to change it out to fit your ear canal more suitably.

For me, the voice commands work rather well with my first-gen X. Just touch the earpiece to activate it, speak your command, and off it goes. I'm also given the option to Answer or Ignore incoming phone calls.

But the big downfall - at least for me - is voice quality while in a call. The other end sounds kind of "light" and "tinny" on the Hint, and according to people on the other end, my voice drops out a lot while speaking to them. And this is while I'm in a quiet environment...my living room, no ambient TV noise, etc. And the other end says I'll fade out and back in while speaking, it sounds like I cut out, etc. I sent a voicemail to myself to verify this and sure enough, it would do just that. I was disappointed.

If there were a star rating for this, I'd say 2.5 stars mainly in favor of the form factor and technical capability. But docked for the voice quality and compatibility (wish it was more capable with other phones as it is with the new Moto X and Turbo).

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Thanx for the review :)

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Nice review

sent from my sexy Note 4

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I kind of align with you as well. Mind you, I only tried one in the store for a few minutes. I wasn't impressed despite the salesman pushing otherwise. Glad to see an in depth review.