My Intro

rotormedic

Reaction score
Hello all,

Really a droid noob just did the jump from the apple to the droid world but having problems trying to understand how to get a kernel on my phone for a better should I say performance and better battery life and if there any step by step instructions and or someone that can lead me to the right place. All in all this is a great place alot of information.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Welcome to the forums. You have to root your phone before changing a kernel. Rooting is like jailbreaking an iPhone. Do a search here on the forums and you will find more than enough info to turn your brain to jelly lol. Make sure to ask plenty of questions and no matter what happens do a backup before you change anything. You will understand that part later. Good luck and have fun.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
R

rotormedic

Reaction score
I already rooted I have spent a freaking 2 hours on here on a guide to flash a rom and how to put a or flash a kernel to my phone just trying to find a step by step guide to do it so I dont brick my phone. Thanks for the reply.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I'll try to make it easier for you and please rsead all the way through first:

1. Make a nandroid backup.
2. Make a nandroid ba-ts really important to create a backup up because that will be your "safety net" if something does wrong. Boot into recovery and select the backup option.
4. Download your ROM of choice to the root of your SD card (root of SD means not in any folders). If you are using clockwork as your recovery make sure you save as or change the file to "update.zip". If the file is already a .zip then only change the name.
5. Select from your recovery to wipe data then wipe cache. Do both a couple of times. If you are using ROM manager this step will be included below.
6a. If you are using ROM manager select "install from SD card". Check both boxes to backup and wipe data/cache after choosing which file to flash.
6b. If not on ROM manager reboot into recovery and select install or apply update.zip (which ever one you see).
7. Let your phone run through the install and reboot. If you did it correctly you will see your ROM's boot animations then Andy android will be on your phone asking you to set up your phone. Follow each step and you will be good to go.
8. Go back to #1, make sure to create a backup!!

Questions?
Good luck!
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums