My initial Moto X experience

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Moto should change the Camera hardware they are using. That has been there downfall. If they have a better camera their phones would be top notch. They have great Battery life already. The latest software is pretty good. Moto X is grat phone but I like the S4 a little better. I am waiting for the Gnote3 and compare with the S4. Leaning towards the Gnote3 because of the specs*...
    1 person likes this.
  2. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

Have to agree with others here. If moto wants to compete, its camera, camera, camera. Unfortunately a so-so camera kicks the moto off my list. Looking forward to the review of the note 3 and the new Sony phone. Thinking either of those will be near the top of the running when my contract is up.
  3. KaChow

KaChow Guest

For those interested in the Development on the Moto X, this is very interesting.

Apparently, Motorola has released the Kernel Source Code for the Moto X devices that fall under the XT1053, XT1056, and XT1058. Nothing has appeared yet for Verizon or Sprint, but this is very interesting news coming right out of the gate from Motorola. Check it out @ SourceForge, here.
  4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

If you are use to the display of the s4 and htc one (1080p) it will be hard to switch to the Moto X. That was why I thought the customer who this will be best suited for would be the people coming off the galaxy nexus. Basically for them it is a step up vs someone with a htc one or s4 who is in some ways taking a step back (display and camera).

After messing with the Droid Ultra Maxx if I had an upgrade I could not see passing on it for the Motorola X. And I think Motorola is going to find themselves in a pickle because of what niche group they going to sell to. The people who would have most likely ran with it (the nerds) they were not trying to appeal to. Just like a poster said earlier in this thread about not a lot of people caring about it at his ATT store I can attest to the same observation. In fact majority of the people who shows any real concerns were vzw customers. The issue with the motorola X is that it is sitting right next to the htc one (marquee name), s4 (marquee name),iphone 5 (marquee name), Note 2 and customers are able to see the display and features side by side. Att is not explaining about the mx8 processor so you see quad core, quad core, iphone 5, dual core. So there really isnt that grab you factor that the motorola x has over the bells and whistles that the s4 and htc one has (the active notification and google now features are either turned off or with google now it is programed to a certain voice). I still think the motorola x is a good device and will admit it has surprised me. But of the people in this thread who has already played with the s4 or htc one few can see dropping that for the X in fact the only device maybe worth considering for motorola vs the one and the s4 is the ultra maxx because of the battery. This is why I still stand by my earlier point that Motorola is going to have a hard time selling this phone on ATT and Verizon. ATT because not enough glamour to draws eyes form the other devices I mentioned and Verizon I really can not see buying it over the maxx because the maxx has the same vanilla look, thinner device, and a larger battery. Be interested to hear opinions on what Motorola can do to compete with the other names in the market. Keep in mind people know that the note3 is coming out I have friends who do not keep up with phone tech sites talking about that and we know apple is about to drop another iphone.
  5. obxsalvo

obxsalvo Member

I have a Razr now those who have handled the X what's the difference as in screen size etc. ( I'm sure it has a better battery :) Thanks
  6. pc747

The ultra Maxx has a larger screen. As far as screen size of the X it is larger than the razr I would compare it in size to the galaxy nexus. The galaxy nexus has a 4.65 inch screen while the x has a 4.7 inch screen (I believe).
    1 person likes this.
  7. pc747

8. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
  9. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Is it just me or are the Moto shots the closet to natural colors? Seems the S4 has a distinct green cast, much like fluorescent lighting creates, and the One has it too but to a lesser extent. The Moto is the only one where white is white.

The resolution suffers in the hard drive shots, but overall I'm not disappointed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
  10. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

My one issue, as I can deal with the camera being slightly sub-par, is that I'm assuming both this and the Ultra are like all Moto phones and can't record conversations. This is not a feature that I need all the time, but there are times when it would be of value to have this ability.
  11. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

I had a chance to play with the VZW X last week. Lucked out and the moto rep just happened to be there. Love how it feels in the hand. Nice phone. Very fast and fluid and plenty of nice features. The killing point for me is the screen size. With the onscreen buttons it pretty much takes it right back to a 4.3". I have had the same size screen since way back with the Droid X. If I am paying full price I am going to get a bigger screen. I played with the Ultra and Maxx and loved both. In fact I held the Maxx up against my Razr Maxx and the Maxx was a tad thinner, just a hair wider and just a little bit taller. Still easy to manage in the hand. But I would be getting a bigger screen. Same internals as the X. The customization doesn't mean that much to me as I always run a case. So it would be a no brainer for me to go with the Maxx or Ultra. If they made the X the same size as those two I would be all over it just for the simple fact that every Moto phone I have had looks like the last one. Would be nice to have a fresh look.
    1 person likes this.
  12. alafferty82081

alafferty82081 New Member

Yeah to me the epic fail of the new droids and moto x is the same horrible camera moto seems to put in all their devices....but at least the maxx makes up a little ground with battery life...
    2 people like this.
Search tags for this page

moto x skins