My initial Moto X experience

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +677
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Well it is here. Charging now, have not turned it on. Feels really nice in the hand, though I am kind of wishing I ordered the black one. The white was has some visible "stuff" that can be seen under the back cover, my OCD will drive me crazy on that one.

Still not sure what to do with this thing. If I decide to keep it I might use my 14 day return to take it back and get black instead.

Will see how I like the phone after letting it charge and powering it on.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I've had one in my Verizon cart and have almost checked out twice. Haha so indecisive!

Galaxy S4!!!

3. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Can't wait to hear about it!

4. Dusty

Dusty Silver Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I love the simplicity of the Moto X. I chose the S4 instead right after the announcement though, mainly because of the delayed release and lack of customization from VZW.

On my S4 I've been running CM10.1 (and now CM 10.2) with DynamicDisplay and I can't see picking the Moto X at this point. The ONLY things that I want from the Moto X now are the "OK, Google" always listening Google now and trusted bluetooth devices that allows a lock screen bypass when connected. I think I probably only have a few weeks to wait before devs port those features over. I'm averaging 12-14 hours of moderate to heavy-moderate use until my battery drops to 30%-15%. Under heavy strain and wifi tethering my S4 gets 9 hours. I just can't complain about my S4 and I don't regret choosing it over the Moto X, which is weird because I wanted the Moto X so badly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +300
    How is the S4's camera on CM? Is it worse than running Touchwiz?

6. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member

Ratings:
    +677
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    I am curious about this too, when I had CM 10.1 on the July nightly builds that was my only complaint was the camera was terrible. That is why I have been running stock TW. I have not seen any of the 10.2 builds, so if that is addressed that might take away my need for the Moto X. Who's camera is its only downside as well.

7. Dusty

Dusty Silver Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I'll link to some photos from my G+. Hang on...

IMG_20130827_143858.jpg

IMG_20130825_184922.jpg

IMG_20130821_073052.jpg

IMG_20130821_083150.jpg

IMG_20130821_152148.jpg

It looks like Picasa (Google+) down samples images. The originals are much larger and have less compression.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member

Ratings:
    +677
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    First impressions about the Moto X are good for sure, not great though. It does feel nice in the hand but is actually a little small for me, especially being used to the S4. The phone is snappy with no lag what so ever, the active notifications are cool, touchless control also a nice feature.

That being said, the screen is obviously not on par with the S4. I didn't think that would bother me that much but it really does. I like the colors a lot more on the S4 and the clarity is noticeably different, up close mostly.

The camera is not great but that was expected.

IMG_20130830_121834577.jpg

This was taken with HDR off with semi low light in my office. Even though this was is a great phone for $139, I don't think it can replace my S4, especially if they get a method to flash CM 10.2 on the latest update and the camera is better.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I know what you mean about the screen. It's nice, but noticeable when you're used to the S4 (or even the One). Something about the colors feel more cartoonish to me as well, vs. the S4. I know both tend to be "oversaturated", but the S4's doesn't feel near as much when compared to the Maxx (or X in your case!).

• Like Like x 1
  10. IIGood

IIGood Active Member

Ratings:
    +159
    This is exactly how I feel...I (still) have the Nexus, and think it's still going strong, but those radios are what I'm wishing were better. My contract isn't up till April 2014 so unless I fall into a bunch of cash to buy the phone outright, I'll be stuck with the Nexus for a while. The rumor of the Moto X being around the $300 price point was very enticing. Don't care to go with Verizon's "Edge" plan at all so I'll just keep on with the Nex.

11. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member

Ratings:
    +677
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Cartoonish is exactly it. I was looking at some of my Google + photos I took of a really nice customer Chevy truck and they just didn't look good at all on my Moto X screen. This is a great phone for sure, especially for the price. But for me I don't think it won me over enough to burn an upgrade, looks like I will be waiting to see how the Note 3 looks.

12. Dusty

Dusty Silver Member

Ratings:
    +520
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Another couple of S4 pics...

IMG_20130821_071441.jpg

IMG_20130820_171908.jpg

• Like Like x 1
Search tags for this page

moto x skins