My initial Moto X experience

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +366
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I'll link to some photos from my G+. Hang on...

IMG_20130827_143858.jpg

IMG_20130825_184922.jpg

IMG_20130821_073052.jpg

IMG_20130821_083150.jpg

IMG_20130821_152148.jpg

It looks like Picasa (Google+) down samples images. The originals are much larger and have less compression.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +431
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    First impressions about the Moto X are good for sure, not great though. It does feel nice in the hand but is actually a little small for me, especially being used to the S4. The phone is snappy with no lag what so ever, the active notifications are cool, touchless control also a nice feature.

That being said, the screen is obviously not on par with the S4. I didn't think that would bother me that much but it really does. I like the colors a lot more on the S4 and the clarity is noticeably different, up close mostly.

The camera is not great but that was expected.

IMG_20130830_121834577.jpg

This was taken with HDR off with semi low light in my office. Even though this was is a great phone for $139, I don't think it can replace my S4, especially if they get a method to flash CM 10.2 on the latest update and the camera is better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +297
    I know what you mean about the screen. It's nice, but noticeable when you're used to the S4 (or even the One). Something about the colors feel more cartoonish to me as well, vs. the S4. I know both tend to be "oversaturated", but the S4's doesn't feel near as much when compared to the Maxx (or X in your case!).

• Like Like x 1
  4. IIGood

IIGood Member

Ratings:
    +20
    This is exactly how I feel...I (still) have the Nexus, and think it's still going strong, but those radios are what I'm wishing were better. My contract isn't up till April 2014 so unless I fall into a bunch of cash to buy the phone outright, I'll be stuck with the Nexus for a while. The rumor of the Moto X being around the $300 price point was very enticing. Don't care to go with Verizon's "Edge" plan at all so I'll just keep on with the Nex.

5. Sydman

Ratings:
    +431
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Cartoonish is exactly it. I was looking at some of my Google + photos I took of a really nice customer Chevy truck and they just didn't look good at all on my Moto X screen. This is a great phone for sure, especially for the price. But for me I don't think it won me over enough to burn an upgrade, looks like I will be waiting to see how the Note 3 looks.

6. Dusty

Ratings:
    +366
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Another couple of S4 pics...

IMG_20130821_071441.jpg

IMG_20130820_171908.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sydman

Ratings:
    +431
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    How is the operation of the camera? When I was on 10.1 sometimes it would load and just be a black screen and I would have to back out and come back into the APP. Is it still the stock JB camera?

8. Dusty

Ratings:
    +366
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    It's the 4.3 camera setup. It did the black screen thing now and again last week when 10.2 first came out. I haven't noticed any issues lately, but I'm taking fewer pictures now that I'm not on vacation.

9. Sydman

Ratings:
    +431
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Cool thanks for the info. Now just need the bootloader unlocked! Well gents, I think the final word for me is, Moto X great phone for someone coming from something other than one of the newest devices like the S4.

Or someone that does not care about the screen, camera, and wants a close as possible stock Google experience without ROMs. Unless my wife insists on keeping it for herself, this one could be going back.

10. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Those are pretty good - still quite a bit better than the X. I'm convinced Moto isn't using the greatest hardware in its cameras.

11. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Premium Member

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +397
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 4
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    Moto should change the Camera hardware they are using. That has been there downfall. If they have a better camera their phones would be top notch. They have great Battery life already. The latest software is pretty good. Moto X is grat phone but I like the S4 a little better. I am waiting for the Gnote3 and compare with the S4. Leaning towards the Gnote3 because of the specs*...

• Like Like x 1
  12. acousticshade

acousticshade Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Have to agree with others here. If moto wants to compete, its camera, camera, camera. Unfortunately a so-so camera kicks the moto off my list. Looking forward to the review of the note 3 and the new Sony phone. Thinking either of those will be near the top of the running when my contract is up.

13. KaChow

KaChow Active Member

Ratings:
    +143
    For those interested in the Development on the Moto X, this is very interesting.

Apparently, Motorola has released the Kernel Source Code for the Moto X devices that fall under the XT1053, XT1056, and XT1058. Nothing has appeared yet for Verizon or Sprint, but this is very interesting news coming right out of the gate from Motorola. Check it out @ SourceForge, here.

14. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2,822
    If you are use to the display of the s4 and htc one (1080p) it will be hard to switch to the Moto X. That was why I thought the customer who this will be best suited for would be the people coming off the galaxy nexus. Basically for them it is a step up vs someone with a htc one or s4 who is in some ways taking a step back (display and camera).

After messing with the Droid Ultra Maxx if I had an upgrade I could not see passing on it for the Motorola X. And I think Motorola is going to find themselves in a pickle because of what niche group they going to sell to. The people who would have most likely ran with it (the nerds) they were not trying to appeal to. Just like a poster said earlier in this thread about not a lot of people caring about it at his ATT store I can attest to the same observation. In fact majority of the people who shows any real concerns were vzw customers. The issue with the motorola X is that it is sitting right next to the htc one (marquee name), s4 (marquee name),iphone 5 (marquee name), Note 2 and customers are able to see the display and features side by side. Att is not explaining about the mx8 processor so you see quad core, quad core, iphone 5, dual core. So there really isnt that grab you factor that the motorola x has over the bells and whistles that the s4 and htc one has (the active notification and google now features are either turned off or with google now it is programed to a certain voice). I still think the motorola x is a good device and will admit it has surprised me. But of the people in this thread who has already played with the s4 or htc one few can see dropping that for the X in fact the only device maybe worth considering for motorola vs the one and the s4 is the ultra maxx because of the battery. This is why I still stand by my earlier point that Motorola is going to have a hard time selling this phone on ATT and Verizon. ATT because not enough glamour to draws eyes form the other devices I mentioned and Verizon I really can not see buying it over the maxx because the maxx has the same vanilla look, thinner device, and a larger battery. Be interested to hear opinions on what Motorola can do to compete with the other names in the market. Keep in mind people know that the note3 is coming out I have friends who do not keep up with phone tech sites talking about that and we know apple is about to drop another iphone.

15. obxsalvo

obxsalvo Active Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo
    I have a Razr now those who have handled the X what's the difference as in screen size etc. ( I'm sure it has a better battery :) Thanks

Search tags for this page

moto x skins