My initial Moto X experience

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well as soon as I say I hate the camera, I do a quick comparison and it turns out pretty good mostly. Though in the last set you really begin to see the X/Maxx's weakness and the S4's strength. Each set follows this order, 6 pics - Maxx, Maxx, S4, S4, One One

Set 1 - no flash, room light
Set 2 - no flash, lower light
Set 3 - flash, same subject
Set 4 - flash, new subject

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/diyr5z2rux3u9z9/8Hiub-5eA- (make sure they're in alphabetical order)

Sorry they're not organized better but I was trying to hurry! That last set with the harddrives is what I normally experience with the Maxx on shots with a flash, I was surprised by the first few sets. Also, on both the Maxx and One I was using tap-to-focus... i.e. tap where I want it to focus and it focuses and shoots. The One is by far the fastest of them all, FWIW. I'll try and get some macro sunny shots in a bit but won't be able to put them up until later.

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
I was fussing with the X an hour ago at the ATT( NO body in the store was interested in it.. all the time I was handling it) store in Little Falls, after awhile I came to this assessment. - Nice ..but..Ill wait for the ....MOTO X2. ...SO ,MY new HTC One sits unboxed ..ready for the xfer. Could not pa$$ up the VEZRION30 promo and that power player of a device is "just Right ", for big hands and daily usage.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1377818500482.jpguploadfromtaptalk1377818511654.jpg

As nice as the x is no way I could see getting it over the ultra maxx. That thing is nice. I could see getting the ultra maxx over the s4 and HTC one for the battery life alone. But again that is based on me messing with it in the store for 5 mins and knowing I am going to have to pass on having a good camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
@dez I've been trying out a Maxx for the past week and I can tell you it's been the least laggy Android experience ever... the HTC One is the only one that comes close to it. It just never hiccups and is extremely smooth and responsive. If nobody knew the specs, and did a "blind taste test" next to the S4 and the One, I guarantee you, based on feel alone, they'd say the X/Maxx/Ultra/Mini felt like it had at least the quad core setups the S4 and One have. It's really really nice... but I hate that dang camera.
This is why Moto's cpu intrigues me. It may seem like an underwhelming processor, but the fact that it has so many cores doing different things I bet it could run just about as smooth as the big spec devices. Hopefully Moto perfects this new chip and chooses to bump up the resolution of their next wave of devices, well 3rd wave when my upgrade is available, would like to use Moto again. After being spoiled by the s4 though I think I need a 1080p screen and at least close to 5" screen.

Exact kinda feedback I was looking for regarding performance for the X, and Moto in general.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Great review and spot on. I thought it was garbage at first and I was not impressed with it. Until I played around with my friends Moto X. I was very impressed with the feel and the speed of it. The battery life is great but Moto failed again with the camera. Again Excellent review PC747!!! :clap:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Man I am torn. I ordered a white one today with the $60 off promo code. For $139 I had to at least order one, but not sure if I want to keep it or not. Will be here tomorrow morning so I have a decision to make.

Have really been liking my S4, but I do enjoy the stock experience of my Nexus 7 and would like to see the same in my phone.

The camera on the S4 is really nice but I don't think the one on the X would be bad enough to deter me away. I might have a problem as others do with the screen, I do love just looking at my phone because the screen is so great.

Like others I use Nova and have no lag problems, simply rooted running stock other than that. I hate being a slave to new technology. :)

jamjr74

Reaction score
Man I am torn. I ordered a white one today with the $60 off promo code. For $139 I had to at least order one, but not sure if I want to keep it or not. Will be here tomorrow morning so I have a decision to make.

Have really been liking my S4, but I do enjoy the stock experience of my Nexus 7 and would like to see the same in my phone.

The camera on the S4 is really nice but I don't think the one on the X would be bad enough to deter me away. I might have a problem as others do with the screen, I do love just looking at my phone because the screen is so great.

Like others I use Nova and have no lag problems, simply rooted running stock other than that. I hate being a slave to new technology. :)

Right there with ya sydman! Love my s4 but live the latest and greatest! Might have to try the x as well. Let me know what ya think!

Galaxy S4!!!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
:)

Mind sharing the $60 off promo code?????

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well it is here. Charging now, have not turned it on. Feels really nice in the hand, though I am kind of wishing I ordered the black one. The white was has some visible "stuff" that can be seen under the back cover, my OCD will drive me crazy on that one.

Still not sure what to do with this thing. If I decide to keep it I might use my 14 day return to take it back and get black instead.

Will see how I like the phone after letting it charge and powering it on.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Well it is here. Charging now, have not turned it on. Feels really nice in the hand, though I am kind of wishing I ordered the black one. The white was has some visible "stuff" that can be seen under the back cover, my OCD will drive me crazy on that one.

Still not sure what to do with this thing. If I decide to keep it I might use my 14 day return to take it back and get black instead.

I've had one in my Verizon cart and have almost checked out twice. Haha so indecisive!

Galaxy S4!!!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Can't wait to hear about it!

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I love the simplicity of the Moto X. I chose the S4 instead right after the announcement though, mainly because of the delayed release and lack of customization from VZW.

On my S4 I've been running CM10.1 (and now CM 10.2) with DynamicDisplay and I can't see picking the Moto X at this point. The ONLY things that I want from the Moto X now are the "OK, Google" always listening Google now and trusted bluetooth devices that allows a lock screen bypass when connected. I think I probably only have a few weeks to wait before devs port those features over. I'm averaging 12-14 hours of moderate to heavy-moderate use until my battery drops to 30%-15%. Under heavy strain and wifi tethering my S4 gets 9 hours. I just can't complain about my S4 and I don't regret choosing it over the Moto X, which is weird because I wanted the Moto X so badly.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love the simplicity of the Moto X. I chose the S4 instead right after the announcement though, mainly because of the delayed release and lack of customization from VZW.

On my S4 I've been running CM10.1 (and now CM 10.2) with DynamicDisplay and I can't see picking the Moto X at this point. The ONLY things that I want from the Moto X now are the "OK, Google" always listening Google now and trusted bluetooth devices that allows a lock screen bypass when connected. I think I probably only have a few weeks to wait before devs port those features over. I'm averaging 12-14 hours of moderate to heavy-moderate use until my battery drops to 30%-15%. Under heavy strain and wifi tethering my S4 gets 9 hours. I just can't complain about my S4 and I don't regret choosing it over the Moto X, which is weird because I wanted the Moto X so badly.

How is the S4's camera on CM? Is it worse than running Touchwiz?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
How is the S4's camera on CM? Is it worse than running Touchwiz?

I am curious about this too, when I had CM 10.1 on the July nightly builds that was my only complaint was the camera was terrible. That is why I have been running stock TW. I have not seen any of the 10.2 builds, so if that is addressed that might take away my need for the Moto X. Who's camera is its only downside as well.