My GS3 Won't Let Me Check For Updates

No.Division

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Looks like I'm going to Verizon today... :-(

Update... New Sim fixed it.

Sent from my Galaxy sIII using Droid Forums

Last edited:
Reaction score
So a new SIM card fixed one persons problem but a new phone fixed mine... we are kinda back where we started

Bashlin

Reaction score
Called Verizon today about this issues and they said it wasn't their issue :-(
I'm going by my local store tomorrow

Sent from my Galaxy 3S

No.Division

Reaction score
Bashlin said:
Called Verizon today about this issues and they said it wasn't their issue :-(
I'm going by my local store tomorrow

Sent from my Galaxy 3S

I didn't even bother calling. Figured they would give me some song and dance about how I should do this or do that... Or did I try this? :) Just walked in and told them the problem I was having and asked to have my SIM swapped out. They did it no questions asked. I also asked the lady that helped me if they had any other customers reporting the same problem but as far as she knew they did not. At any rate... Minor inconvenience. Easily fixed. Good luck man. I'm sure they'll take care of it for you.

Sent from my Galaxy sIII using Droid Forums

Bashlin

Reaction score
Bad sim card.. 4th one so far.. Next one gets me new phone the tech said.. I can update again now :D

Sent from my Galaxy 3S

Cire87

Reaction score
Went to a Verizon store today to get a replacement SIM card to fix this problem, but the night before I did a facroty reset which didn't work, they refused to give me a new one. They said there was nothing wrong with my SIM card and if it was the card I wouldn't have service nor data. They also checked the two S3 they have on display and their phones said "no update available." So I asked why are those two phone saying that but mine says other.wise. He said "samsung is probably having problems with their end."

He also told me that he's read about the problem on the internet and about the new SIM "fixing" the problem. Not quite the words he used but he was pretty much saying people on the were full of bull s**t.
That was a waste of my time. Sadly its the closest VZW store around me and it's 45 miles away.

PhDCow

Reaction score
When I called VZW on Thursday for warranty support on my tablet, I casually asked about this issue. No surprise that the tech said that he had never heard of the problem and that there wasn't an update scheduled anyway so I shouldn't worry about it. Um, yeah it's a problem. A communication problem. When I go to the mall today, I'll stop by the store and have my card swapped out. A benefit of having several friends who work there. :)

mike0164

Reaction score
I went to my local corporate store (as opposed to franchise store) a few hours ago. Apparently this issue has finally been entered into the corporate technical database, and the associate who I was working with quickly found it. Ten minutes or so later, I was walking out of the store with a new SIM card and a phone that could check for updates. No arguments, no crying, just excellent customer support I usually get at this store. Woo hoo!

Last edited:

DRX1983

Reaction score
So I had the same problem and after going through a bunch of posts here and on xda, I ended up going in to a Verizon store and replaced my SIM card and at first when I checked for an update the problem was still there, but after I did a Google framework services cache and data clear then a factory rest I'm happy to say that the problem was fixed Woohoo. Now it says "No Update available".

perrine219

Reaction score
So there is a new Verizon software update available now for gs3... I wonder to those of you still having the problem if it will let y'all update?

jimg50

Reaction score
I just got Verizon ota . It is not jellybean. Must be patches for hangups . You need go to settings, about phone Then scroll up to software update and on the bottom of the screen see "check now". I just got an ota 15 min ago. It is a patch

OP
V

vett96mik

Reaction score
I recently got a Verizon update, nothing serious.
It angers me how long Samsung is taking to get this update out. They announced it was coming over two months ago and now they are saying it will take another few months. Ridiculous.

asteinmetz54

Reaction score
I recently got a Verizon update, nothing serious.
It angers me how long Samsung is taking to get this update out. They announced it was coming over two months ago and now they are saying it will take another few months. Ridiculous.

it is not samsungs fault for getting the update out so slow, it is all verizon. since they run on a cdma network it takes them longer to code to make sure everything is working right by the time it gets to the consumer