My GN wont power on, WTF

jleeusa

Reaction score
First of all I searched a bit and couldn't find any good results, so I apologize if there is already a thread. This morning on my way to work I charged my phone just to top it off. Worked fine on my to work and was powered on when I got there. An hour later, nothing. Cannot power on. I did a couple battery pulls and attached to charger (a known working one). Got the GN in December, rooted within a week and have been flashing roms pretty conservatively since. Mostly winners CM9. When it died I think it was on a Theory rom. I am in no way blaming the rom, just giving info. I honestly don't think this is a rom or root issue. I have never had any charging issues and the battery life has always been good, not great. Additionally, I have always had periodic issues with the power button not responding. Usually though I just had to press it again and it would pop right on.

My concern is returning the phone. Number one I don't want to, I'd like to fix it. If I get a new (refurb) should I go warranty or insurance? Im not looking to screw anyone and don't know if Verizon would even be able to tell if it was rooted. If I go insurance is it as simple as telling them it won't turn on? I ask because I've been fortunate and not had to use either service.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Guess I am dusting off the OG Droid! Thanks

FryeGuy93

Reaction score
similar experience

First of all I searched a bit and couldn't find any good results, so I apologize if there is already a thread. This morning on my way to work I charged my phone just to top it off. Worked fine on my to work and was powered on when I got there. An hour later, nothing. Cannot power on. I did a couple battery pulls and attached to charger (a known working one). Got the GN in December, rooted within a week and have been flashing roms pretty conservatively since. Mostly winners CM9. When it died I think it was on a Theory rom. I am in no way blaming the rom, just giving info. I honestly don't think this is a rom or root issue. I have never had any charging issues and the battery life has always been good, not great. Additionally, I have always had periodic issues with the power button not responding. Usually though I just had to press it again and it would pop right on.

My concern is returning the phone. Number one I don't want to, I'd like to fix it. If I get a new (refurb) should I go warranty or insurance? Im not looking to screw anyone and don't know if Verizon would even be able to tell if it was rooted. If I go insurance is it as simple as telling them it won't turn on? I ask because I've been fortunate and not had to use either service.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Guess I am dusting off the OG Droid! Thanks

My GNex did this a few months back as it had a bad power button. Had it repaired. Looking back, there were times that I had to press the button several times for result and finally even that did not work. I purchased my phone through BestBuy and they did the repairs in about 7-days but did give me an option to replace in 2-3 days with refurb.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
If you can not turn the phone on to return the phone to root, you can not do the warranty replacement for no cost through Verizon, cuz if they test it and see it was rooted, they could charge-back for the return device. There is no recourse of credit or un-return if that happens. Insurance is for lost, stolen or damage (including water damage). You would have to say to Asurion that you dropped the phone or lost it, and pay $99.

FryeGuy93

Reaction score
If you can not turn the phone on to return the phone to root, you can not do the warranty replacement for no cost through Verizon, cuz if they test it and see it was rooted, they could charge-back for the return device. There is no recourse of credit or un-return if that happens. Insurance is for lost, stolen or damage (including water damage). You would have to say to Asurion that you dropped the phone or lost it, and pay $99.

Which is one of the many reasons I purchased the phone through BestBuy and take their Black Tie coverage as they are normally less strict on such things. There is also no deductible and until recently, I was replaced with new rather than refurbished. However, I now note that BB gives refurbs now.

In any case, I would drop the phone in the waterfall pool after a lengthy hike (done that myself) and then turn in the claim.