My Gallery - 756MB in TWO DAYS???

altjx

Reaction score
This morning I've noticed my data usage widget shows almost 1 GB more than it showed yesterday, and this freaked me out as I haven't done anything differently that I can recall that would affect my data usage.

View attachment 52984

Can someone please explain to me what the hell this is all about? I don't have that crappy Motocast stuff, so why in the world would a gallery app use almost 1 gig of data in 2 days?? The hell????????

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
While I don't know that it's the cause for that large amount of usage, the My Gallery automatically syncs with several social networking sites if you have them set up on your phone. Do you have the settings turned off for that? My Gallery -> Menu -> deselect Display friends' activities. Also, check the MotoCast settings there as well. Something might be on that you're not aware of.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:icon_eek: As for what it's doing I don't know, I would check the settings of the app and see what it is set to sync, or upload and download.

I would also consider downloading "Quickpic" from the Market. It's free, and much better than My Gallery. Then I would disable My Gallery, especially if it's chewing up that much data. That's crazy. :)

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
While I don't know that it's the cause for that large amount of usage, the My Gallery automatically syncs with several social networking sites if you have them set up on your phone. Do you have the settings turned off for that? My Gallery -> Menu -> deselect Display friends' activities. Also, check the MotoCast settings there as well. Something might be on that you're not aware of.

You beat me to it LOL :p

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score

It appears that the "Display friends' activity" box was checked off. But how in the world would that cause 756MB of data all of a sudden if that option has been checked? That's also confusing too. Thanks for alerting me of this. MotoCast isn't set up, as it brings me to the "Maybe later" and "Setup now" boxes.

EDIT: Even with the display friends' activity box being checked (in the past/prior to me unchecking it now), the Friends section of it shows no one... Lol. It's telling me to add a social network (my gallery)...

:icon_eek: As for what it's doing I don't know, I would check the settings of the app and see what it is set to sync, or upload and download.

I would also consider downloading "Quickpic" from the Market. It's free, and much better than My Gallery. Then I would disable My Gallery, especially if it's chewing up that much data. That's crazy. :)

Hmm, all of the media sharing optoins are disabled. The quick upload account is set to "None". This is such a strange issue for me.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's just a suggestion, but Quickpic works just like My Gallery, it even lets you exclude folders from viewing, etc. If My Gallery is burning that much data I would disable that puppy ... do you have a limited data plan or are you unlimited?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Displaying friends activity? On something like Facebook, that means EVERY time your friends do something on Facebook it syncs up to it ... every picture, status change, wall post, etc. :icon_eek:

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
It's just a suggestion, but Quickpic works just like My Gallery, it even lets you exclude folders from viewing, etc. If My Gallery is burning that much data I would disable that puppy ... do you have a limited data plan or are you unlimited?

I'm using the 4GB plan, and at 2.6GB until the 22nd, thankfully. According to the data thing again, it shows that even TODAY the app have used about 256 MB... That's very scary man.

Displaying friends activity? On something like Facebook, that means EVERY time your friends do something on Facebook it syncs up to it ... every picture, status change, wall post, etc. :icon_eek:

Yeah I know, but when I go to settings > friends, it shows no activity as if nothing was downloaded. That's another thing that's weird. And in the foreground? Doesn't that mean I had to have the app open to do that? I usually keep my recent app list clear as possible.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm using the 4GB plan, and at 2.6GB until the 22nd, thankfully. According to the data thing again, it shows that even TODAY the app have used about 256 MB... That's very scary man.

Yeah I know, but when I go to settings > friends, it shows no activity as if nothing was downloaded. That's another thing that's weird. And in the foreground? Doesn't that mean I had to have the app open to do that? I usually keep my recent app list clear as possible.

It's a VERIZON app ... lord only knows what it's doing, whether it's on or off.

So in a few days you will have burned up all your data (and probably go over) because of that one app ... that sucker would be gone if it was me LOL :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Note, if you alert Verizon to the problem now and they record it in the system notes for your account, then if you go over they will not charge you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

The recent apps list isn't a task manager. That's a common misconception. Clearing apps from the list does not close them. If an app didn't shut down when you exited it, it will continue to run even if you remove it from the recent apps list. The recent apps list is exactly that - a list of apps you've used recently. Nothing more.

I second this suggestion. I prefer QuickPic as well. After you install it, you can disable the My Gallery app and not worry about it at all. If you're not using any of the MotoCast options for it, you won't be losing anything by switching to QuickPic and disabling My Gallery.

Last edited:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The recent apps list isn't a task manager. That's a common misconception. Clearing apps from the list does not close them. If an app didn't shut down when you exited it, it will continue to run even if you remove it from the recent apps list. The recent apps list is exactly that - a list of apps you've used recently. Nothing more.

I second this suggestion. I prefer QuickPic as well. After you install it, you can disable the My Gallery app and not worry about it at all. If you're not using any of the MotoCast options for it, you won't be losing anything by switching to QuickPic and disabling My Gallery.

I KNEW I had read something about the recent apps list didn't kill the apps when swiped ... that was being discussed in a thread just last night. I was talking about it with "94lt1"

:hail:

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
It's a VERIZON app ... lord only knows what it's doing, whether it's on or off.

So in a few days you will have burned up all your data (and probably go over) because of that one app ... that sucker would be gone if it was me LOL :)

Lol. I'm going to keep an eye on this for awhile. Not sure what the cause was, especially since nothing has changed in this app since I've went to ICS. Do you know how often the data settings are updated, or if the results are displayed in real time

Note, if you alert Verizon to the problem now and they record it in the system notes for your account, then if you go over they will not charge you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I will make sure I do this. I am also going to monitor the data settings to see if the app uses anything more than it has already. As far as I'm concerned, this app shouldn't even need access to the Internet, as all my pictures are coming across the USB cable. Is there any way to completely disable this app from using mobile data at all?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The main thing you need to remember is that in the phone's data usage settings it says "Data measured by your phone. Your carrier's data usage accounting may differ"

Your bill is going to be displayed in real time if you go over your data limit. FoxKat's words should be taken seriously, call Big Red or go to a Verizon Store and let them know so you don't get burned. Otherwise they will say "you should have told us when you found out about it, sorry, pay up" :)