My friend is having trouble installing SPRecovery.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by rednukleus, Feb 14, 2010.

1. rednukleus

rednukleus Member

Ratings:
    +1
    He tried to install SPRecovery but something went wrong. Here is his message:

" I wanted to root and install the 2.1 Sholes mod yesterday, and am a complete noob. I heard from people that Sholes automatically backed up the Droid, but I wanted to be sure, so I followed a guide on rootyourdroid.info to install a custom recovery image before working with Sholes. The guide had me use "update.zip" to root, which seemed to go fine, then my command prompt to push two files: "flash_image" and "recovery-0.99.2b.img" onto my Droid. Now, things are a bit different. My recovery screen has fewer options, and I tried to use SetCPU and it said I don't have root access. I also tried to run the Sholes SMUpdater.apk and it ran into an error and couldn't continue. If I reboot in recovery mode now, my screen says "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command" and the only options I have are "reboot system now", "apply sdcard:update.zip", "wipe data/factory reset", and "wipe cache partition". If I remember correctly, right after I rooted I had more options than this (I know I had one that gave me the option to install a custom ROM), but after I pushed flash_image and recovery-0.99.2b.img I was only left with this screen.
    If I absolutely have to, I'm okay with doing a factory reset and losing all my data, but I don't even know if that would make a difference since it seems like I replaced my factory recovery files by pushing those files onto my droid thorugh the cmd prompt.
    Any help is very much appreciated! "

2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Red,

I am not familiar with the particular steps your friend did, but it sounds like the old "recovery-from-boot.p" file renaming problem/step.

When doing sprecovery manually, when you flash the new recovery image, you have to rename the file /system/recovery-from-boot.p to something else. The usual is /system/recovery-from-boot.old or .bak. Something to disable it. If you reboot the phone after flash without the file rename, the flash does not "stick" in the phones memory. So you flash, and this file unflashes, so to speak on next boot.

See if there is a step your friend has missed, and again this is for a manual install.

Craig

Search tags for this page
how to install sprecovery on my phone

sprecovery apk