My friend hates his Droid

sh0ebox

Reaction score
He said he can't turn off Gmail sync because he needs it to sync with Lotus Notes.
He claims that even though he's turned off email notifications it's still chirping every time he gets an email. I just tested mine and it definitely goes silent with notifications turned off.

Which creates a question of my own: Is there a way to get the green LED and the status bar notification when you get an email, but not make any sound?

I guess one solution would be to create a sound file that's just silence and assign that as the email ringtone.

Open the GMail app. Press the "menu" key. Tap "settings." Scroll down to where it says "Notification Settings." The first box, labeled "E-Mail notifications," will enable the notification LED for when new e-mail arrives. The 2nd option in this subheading is to choose your e-mail notification ringtone. Open that and choose "silent." This will turn off e-mail alert ringtones SPECIFICALLY for this GMail user account. If he has more than one GMail account associated with his phone, he must do this for EACH account.

Also, if he has any e-mail accounts that aren't GMail (e.g., Yahoo! Mail, Exchange, etc.) that he checks through the E-Mail app, he can do the same with all these accounts.

AFAIK, without disabling GMail sync, there is no way to set check frequency for gmail to "never" as it works through push notification. It doesn't really "check" for e-mail unless the server receives one, at which point it will push it to your phone and notify you. The only checking it does is syncing your account with older e-mails that are already in the inbox or refreshing your inbox if you've checked/received/sent e-mails through other methods.

sh0ebox

Reaction score
this is what you call a simple case of not knowing how to fully operate an Android operating system.

Agreed.
But in fairness, they could have included some kind of manual for such a complicated device. I just sent him the link to the PDF user guide.

My friend's Nexus came with a 300 page manual.

This is probably them trying to be "green." If you're smart enough to buy a smartphone, then [I hope] you're smart enough to find the resources that will teach you how to do what you don't know. :p

KevinJ

Reaction score
All he has to do is go to settings, then accounts and sync, and disable gmail sync. This way every time he wants to check for an email he will have to go into the gmail and refresh the screen
+1 to this. That's the way I have mine set.

I rarely if ever check my email on my phone, so I don't need to have notifications. If I an expecting an email that can't wait until I get home, I can always manually check the account.

Reks

Reaction score
clearly the droid is not the phone for someone of his level of intelligence

DroidPDX

Reaction score
If he doesn't appreciate that the Droid is infinitely more useful, faster and more awesome than the Storm (which I had for a year), or that his friend is here wasting his valuable time to find out what he should plainly see or find out himself, you shouldn't spend another moment on this.

Reaction score
You know what I hate? When someone gets a defectve device becomes ignorant and dosent research it on the interweb. Becouse there naive and not looking things up they blame ALL the devices. And say the device isn't very good. So after spoiling the devices good name. He realises its just his phone with that problem and they jumped the gun too early.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
Wow I joined this forum because I thought it would be fun.

It's not the persons fault that the phone came with no manual what so ever.

Maybe he was spoon fed with an I phone for so long he just figured the android would operate the same way. Very user friendly but not much customization.

This does not make him an idiot. Just unversed in the ways of the droid. every one is a newb at some point. Experience doesn't reach into the dwells of intelligence.

You should be a understanding and helpful community.

I appreciate the posts some have made that weren't subjective and were helpful in pointing out how to rectify the persons problem.

So If there is something I don't understand about the droid phone or android OS are you all going to call me an idiot to?

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow I joined this forum because I thought it would be fun.

It's not the persons fault that the phone came with no manual what so ever.

Maybe he was spoon fed with an I phone for so long he just figured the android would operate the same way. Very user friendly but no much customization.

This does not make him an idiot. Just unversed in the ways of the droid. every one is a newb at some point. Experience doesn't reach into the dwells of intelligence.

You should be a understanding and helpful community.

I appreciate the posts some have made that weren't subjective and were helpful in pointing out how to rectify the persons problem.

So If there is something I don't understand about the droid phone or android OS are you all going to call me an idiot to?

Trust me when I tell you; this community is friendly and very helpful. You post a thread 90% of the post will be helpful. Either way you will be pointed in to the right direction.