My Favorite New Android M Feature Is System UI Tuner!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There are many very minor features that have been added to the latest build of Android M. There is also one very big feature that really excites me! The new System UI Tuner allows you to finally show battery percentage in the status bar! For all these years this has required some sort of hack or mod if you were running stock android, and most certainly required you to be rooted unless you were using some sort of widget. This is now built right into AOSP! The other big part of the System UI Tuner is the ability to enable or disable status bar icons. That means you can finally get rid of that ugly and useless bluetooth icon! You can really clean up your status bar by removing the wifi icon, and even your mobile data icon. This has to be one of the coolest features to be included in AOSP in my opinion!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
It's about time! Such a common a requested feature not being baked in long ago was a real pain.

Sent from my Note 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Samsung devices have had the battery percentage option for quite awhile now, at least since my S3.

S5 tap'n

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I owned nothing but moto devices before my current note 4 (which does have the precentage.) But, I do know how frustrating it was previously.

Sent from my Note 4

Reactions: cr6

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yes Finally! ... hiding status bar icons also something I see on this Sony z3+ and great to see it was added....

Z3+tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've gone back and forth on my last 2 Samsung phones as to whether I really wanted/needed the percentage shown in the status bar. When I first got the Note 4, it kinda made me crazy. OMG! I'm down to 90% already. Then the phone would still last all day.

I do like the stock feature of showing the battery percentage in the status bar. That works well enough for me. Easy to access, but not in your face every time you turn the phone on.

Being able to remove status bar icons would be nice. I have my alarms set for the week and rarely ever turn them completely off and whether or not I'm using my Watch Urbane, I have a bluetooth device in the car for music, so my bluetooth stays on a majority of the time these days (unless I'm lounging at home all day and not wearing the watch). Those would be nice to hide, though I'm sure I'd worry at first that they were turned off. The alarm especially would take some getting used to not seeing that little alarm clock in the bar, worrying that it won't go off, even though my phone is my first alarm and my clock radio is the "Ok, you REALLY gotta get up now" alarm.