My experiences with the X2 thus far...

Mavic

Reaction score
I have had my DX2 for about two weeks now. I am by no means an amateur when it comes to Android but I am also not an elitist. With that being said, I thought it would be necessary to share my initial thoughts about the phone and then explain some of the pros and cons I have come up with while breaking it in.

First off, I would like to explain my current X2:
  • Launcher Pro Plus
  • Gingerbroken
  • Supercharged (V6)
  • SD Speed Increase
  • Most Bloat Frozen

First impressions:

When I walked into the Verizon store to look for a new phone, the X2 immediate caught my attention because it seemed like a powerhouse phone that was cheaper than the flagships (Thunderbolt, Charge, etc). I really enjoyed the fact that it had the dual-core processor and didn't much mind the memory specs as the X1 performed very well even with the 1ghz chip. I didn't much mind it not having the 4GLTE or FFC because I honestly would never use either enough to "need" it. The screen was brilliant and the larger qHD resolution looked awesome when viewing YouTube videos in HQ mode over Wifi. The device was very loud (coming from somebody that also uses it as an alarm) and after performing a test call with speakerphone on I was quite pleased with the sound quality overall.

Last two weeks:

The last two weeks have honestly been awesome with this phone. I have only had to reboot it a couple times mainly due to installing hacks to help speed it up. Even at a factory state, the phone performed everything like it should without presenting lag (music, videos, keyboard, etc). I have seen a couple small mishaps along the way though that wasn't really considered frustrating but more of a "wtf, ah well whatever" type of reaction. I installed Quadrant and ran the full benchmark that doubled the score of the X1 (my score was 2870) so I was actually happy to see that the Tegra 2 was being utilized. Long story short, it has been an amazing device to me.

Pros (for me):
  • The qHD screen is brilliant and very visible under extreme light (sun) and the upped resolution is a plus for people using custom launchers to add a 5th row for shortcuts, widgets, etc. in portrait mode.
  • The phone screams, even prior to hacking. Played with it stock for a day and had no lag issues even with the 3D games that were included, which were fun :)
  • The camera takes exceptional pictures and video. The CAF is very quick and makes sure it's on the dime before the picture is snapped and the dual-LED flash is blinding, which is good.
  • Battery life is sufficient enough to carry me through a day even with an hour or two of heavy use. Surprising considering the Tegra 2 would seem like a battery menace powering the higher resolution. The battery management is also good for creating profiles that help keep your battery use on lock.

Cons (for me):
  • No more camera hardkey :(. No clue why they took that out because landing your finger on that tiny shutter button on screen is more than a hassle than anything.
  • The entire "social networking" system they put into Blur just makes me cringe. Linking my Facebook account to the phone also integrates everybody's photo albums into the stock gallery app which is annoying. So annoying, actually, that I just sync contacts by hand now and use QuickPic.
  • "sdcard" and "sdcard-ext" can be confusing. The bloatware "Files" app that comes with the phone does a good enough job for simple browsing but it seems a lot of apps are getting confused.
  • Sometimes when I view a picture sent through the stock messaging app and press the physical "back" button it proceeds in a constant loop of loading the pic making me have to cycle all the way back to the home screen to get back to the text messages. Annoying, but not a pisser-offer.

The phone has been awesome and it really sucks seeing people on these forums complaining about huge problems they have had with them. If you read these forums before buying one and get demotivated by the complaints, just try one before you completely ignore it. I would honestly still be happy if I didn't apply any tweaks at all.

berfles

Reaction score
I pretty much echo your thoughts. This is my first smartphone ever and I already can't think of not having it on me at all times. I got mine on Sunday and use it constantly.

I didn't do any tweaks since I'm new to it and don't want to mess anything up, so it's all stock right now. I do notice some "stuttering" if I turn it on and try swiping the screen though, but it doesn't happen every time. Not sure what is going on with that.

Question for you, are any of your front keys wobbly? My options and home button is wobbly, I read a lot of reports about the same thing being present on the X1 as well as the first Droid, but I'm not sure if it's still the "norm". It doesn't affect the use, just hope it doesn't get worse.

rushmore

Reaction score
I have had my DX2 for about two weeks now. I am by no means an amateur when it comes to Android but I am also not an elitist. With that being said, I thought it would be necessary to share my initial thoughts about the phone and then explain some of the pros and cons I have come up with while breaking it in.

First off, I would like to explain my current X2:
  • Launcher Pro Plus
  • Gingerbroken
  • Supercharged (V6)
  • SD Speed Increase
  • Most Bloat Frozen
First impressions:

When I walked into the Verizon store to look for a new phone, the X2 immediate caught my attention because it seemed like a powerhouse phone that was cheaper than the flagships (Thunderbolt, Charge, etc). I really enjoyed the fact that it had the dual-core processor and didn't much mind the memory specs as the X1 performed very well even with the 1ghz chip. I didn't much mind it not having the 4GLTE or FFC because I honestly would never use either enough to "need" it. The screen was brilliant and the larger qHD resolution looked awesome when viewing YouTube videos in HQ mode over Wifi. The device was very loud (coming from somebody that also uses it as an alarm) and after performing a test call with speakerphone on I was quite pleased with the sound quality overall.

Last two weeks:

The last two weeks have honestly been awesome with this phone. I have only had to reboot it a couple times mainly due to installing hacks to help speed it up. Even at a factory state, the phone performed everything like it should without presenting lag (music, videos, keyboard, etc). I have seen a couple small mishaps along the way though that wasn't really considered frustrating but more of a "wtf, ah well whatever" type of reaction. I installed Quadrant and ran the full benchmark that doubled the score of the X1 (my score was 2870) so I was actually happy to see that the Tegra 2 was being utilized. Long story short, it has been an amazing device to me.

Pros (for me):
  • The qHD screen is brilliant and very visible under extreme light (sun) and the upped resolution is a plus for people using custom launchers to add a 5th row for shortcuts, widgets, etc. in portrait mode.
  • The phone screams, even prior to hacking. Played with it stock for a day and had no lag issues even with the 3D games that were included, which were fun :)
  • The camera takes exceptional pictures and video. The CAF is very quick and makes sure it's on the dime before the picture is snapped and the dual-LED flash is blinding, which is good.
  • Battery life is sufficient enough to carry me through a day even with an hour or two of heavy use. Surprising considering the Tegra 2 would seem like a battery menace powering the higher resolution. The battery management is also good for creating profiles that help keep your battery use on lock.

Cons (for me):
  • No more camera hardkey :(. No clue why they took that out because landing your finger on that tiny shutter button on screen is more than a hassle than anything.
  • The entire "social networking" system they put into Blur just makes me cringe. Linking my Facebook account to the phone also integrates everybody's photo albums into the stock gallery app which is annoying. So annoying, actually, that I just sync contacts by hand now and use QuickPic.
  • "sdcard" and "sdcard-ext" can be confusing. The bloatware "Files" app that comes with the phone does a good enough job for simple browsing but it seems a lot of apps are getting confused.
  • Sometimes when I view a picture sent through the stock messaging app and press the physical "back" button it proceeds in a constant loop of loading the pic making me have to cycle all the way back to the home screen to get back to the text messages. Annoying, but not a pisser-offer.
The phone has been awesome and it really sucks seeing people on these forums complaining about huge problems they have had with them. If you read these forums before buying one and get demotivated by the complaints, just try one before you completely ignore it. I would honestly still be happy if I didn't apply any tweaks at all.

I wish I had your luck with the DX2. Returned mine on the 14th day, but agree on all the good hardware points of the device.

myriad46

Reaction score
I can totally confirm a big difference with the V6 Script in my phone. The lag going back to the home screen is gone. I also used to notice if I had a live wallpaper on and tried to run the weather animation in beautiful widgets or even screen transitions with Launcher Pro, it would be stuttery. No more.

I have to disagree with the screen being a pro. The size is a pro, but the pentile qHD is pathetic next to my original droid. Muted colors and grainy texture on small type.

Overall, very happy with the phone.

Insidious

Reaction score
I love it too, people shouldn't diss it. Because even though its not too different from the X doesn't mean its a bad phone because the X is still a very solid handset!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Elite49

Reaction score
Went from EnV Touch to DX2 (wanted a DX but got shafted into getting this...thanks release date) and I like it for what its worth. The battery life for me is horrid but I did the other day wipe the battery data and am calibrating it to 100% again tonight. Seems better, but I'm prolly just going crazy.