My experience with liquid

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by ossrabbit, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ossrabbit

ossrabbit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me start by saying that I am heavily involved with open source software and understand the difficulties that follow from voluntarily participating in such an endeavor, especially with a small development team. Since OSS devs never get enough appreciation from the community (although this one seems to be particularly friendly), my first order of business is to thank those responsible for finding time to work on this project. So thank you!

Having said that, my overall assessment of Liquid is unfortunately not radiantly positive. To put it simply, the software is incredibly unstable. The development cycle is quick, and the feature releases plentiful, but when commonly used applications consistently don't work in different ways, it's difficult not to focus on the bad.

To list a few of what I consider to be "showstopper" bugs I have been encountering (currently on 3.1):
    - Incoming phone calls regularly go to speakerphone (this has been happening since 2.x)
    - Home screen regularly loads black requiring switching to another screen and back to load the icons (this has been happening since 2.x)
    - Google maps frequently crashes, particularly when searching for something by name (this has been happening since I started using Liquid)
    - Music app crashes and/or resets song to beginning, particularly when switching to another app while music playing (new in 3.1)
    - Market crashes in spectacular ways at random (new in 3.1)
    - many other more minor issues

My request is that some level of functional QA be introduced into the development cycle and focus shifted toward stability as opposed to features. As much as I like the bunch of lock-screen options, I would much rather be able to consistently answer phone calls and use Google maps. The fact that this topic exists and was posted 8 hours after the release announcement suggests that something is very wrong.

2. 021adam

021adam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree somewhat. All in all, I think Liquid is decent, but it does have many flaws, which is why I haven't used in in a while. I frequently had random issues such as "insufficient space" and reboots. Right now I'm on CushZero 2.1.1, which is Liquid based and it's been awesome.

3. SaxaDroid

SaxaDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a tester for liquid and I have a D1 and I do not have these problems.... some things I change to get my D1 running liquid smooth is change my overclocking from 250-1000 to 550-1000 and I use Interactive for my .gov. Also I use Chevys medium voltage which I think liquid switched to on 3.2. I also lower my dalvik heapsize to 36 and I also change my minfree values. In addition to the propmodder values that I alter slightly.

Raising your min freq might help most.

Good luck

4. kac8866

kac8866 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I am currently using Liquid 3.2 and previously used 3.1 without any of the problems you mention. The only issue I found was with the Music app, but that was easily fixed.

I would be interested in what ROM you are currently running.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

5. RobClay18838

RobClay18838 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no problems at all with the new 3.2. I did raise my minimum cpu setting to 550 because of the incoming call bug, but other than that this rom has been the best ive used.

6. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The phone going to speaker issue can be fixed by changed the min to something over 250MHz such as 400 or 550. The black homescreen issue is just a LauncherPro issue and not the rom. Using GoLauncher EX and i dont have that problem. And try running fix permissions to prevent some force closes.

7. dpaine88

dpaine88 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Could you elaborate on your prop modder changes? and the minfree values?

Also, did you change the VM heapsize for any certain reason? Is the 56 the same for all Liquid ROMs regardless of device and that is why it needs to be lowered for droid?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  8. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    40m is reccomended by Zep for OG Droids.

9. 3278

3278 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For what it's worth, I have all these problems, as well. A few notes on my experiences:
    • Setting my minimum clock frequency doesn't seem to stop the incoming call bug for me.
    • The Google Maps crash while searching seems to be somewhat more frequent for me when I'm playing music over Bluetooth.
    • Mine also locks up when using the camera, usually after the first shot or two. This seems to get worse the longer I have the ROM installed.

I've been using Liquid ROMs almost exclusively since 1.71 or so: it's not like these bugs are stopping me from using the ROMs! But when I need a reliable ROM for some reason - a weekend where I'm going to want to use my phone more than once or twice without rebooting, or a day I expect to receive a lot of work calls - I have to put either Liquid Froyo 1.9 on my Droid, or Cyanogen. That's less-than-ideal.

These problems seem to be very device-dependent, and particularly with a small development team, that makes it hard to replicate and thus fix these bugs. In general, Liquid's ROMs are the best I've found by far - the fastest, most feature-rich, most usable, best-looking - so I'm willing to deal with the challenges that come with it, but yeah, there's no doubt I'd love it if I didn't have to flash a new ROM every time I wanted a working phone.

10. BrUhNiGGs

BrUhNiGGs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i had to flash back to SS 5.5 which is by far the most stable rom i can use for my OG.

11. coolbreeze704

coolbreeze704 Member

Ratings:
    +7

12. 3278

3278 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Frustrated by the incoming call bug but unwilling to use a different ROM, I've tried unrooting and rerooting my phone. I don't think root has anything to do with it, but reinstalling the OS from RSD Lite seems to clear something that nothing else is clearing. I've given it a try, and very [very] initial indications are positive. I'll know more in the coming days, but other users [particularly users like me who have a new ROM on their phones every week] are reporting positive experiences.

13. QUAGMIRE

QUAGMIRE Member

Ratings:
    +0

Seems to me a waste of that device using just 1 rom but whatever floats yer boat But also you need to explore liquid settings a little bit it has options for switching launchers built in and removing all others {Scripts in xbin} Also explore locking home in memory. Ringtone idk how to advise there because my phone has no problems loading running and ringing on this rom. My only problem is losing root permissions and having to clear superuser data just to fix it.

And my comment about 1 rom look into boot manager it has awesome support for thunderbolt 5 roms at reboot 4 roms built on sdcard = pwnage

14. Logan3824

Logan3824 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was using Liquid 3.0 and I am having a few problems...I haven't really tried to look for another one even with the problems...I've been out out of the loop for awhile and was wondering if anyone knew of any more stable roms out yet? I don't really care about super features, as long as I can overclock and its stable.

15. 3278

3278 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there's success of a sort: I was able to keep LGB3.2 running for a record-setting 15 days before the incoming call bug killed me again. [Yes, I've done every possible combination of overclocking, including just using a straight-up 600mhz kernel with the minimum set to 550mhz. No love.] Thinking maybe it was time to take drastic action, I followed the advice of several other people, and tried Simply Stunning 5.5. It was fine, until I had to use the camera, and then it was two pictures followed by lockup. And the incoming call bug started up again, this time in SS5.5.

Okay, so maybe the solution is to look further afield, I thought. Unrooting and rerooting [as linked above] had worked brilliantly, resetting my phone as apparently only RSD Lite can, but two different ROMs from the same branch - CM7 - were giving me the same problems. It was time to try something completely different.

And I've got it. A ROM that's fast, smooth, and good-looking [although not as good, in my opinion, as LGB3.2]. A ROM that lets me take a dozen pictures in a row, and doesn't lock up when someone calls me. No bugs, no force-closes, and every feature I want [okay, except the above-the-notification-bar battery, and using the menu key to unlock] works perfectly, the first time, every time. I'm now rocking...Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.9. I always try the latest, and just end up coming back to the one that works best on my troubled handset. Thanks again, Liquid!

Search tags for this page

content

lgb3.2
liquid smooth crashes regularly
xt910 liquid smooth overclock