My Email to Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrembk76

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of Motorola's products. 5 of my last 6 phones have been Motorola branded and I absolutely loved the Droid 1. I recently broke my phone at work and was upgraded to a Motorola Droid 2 Global and unfortunately this will be the last Motorola product I will own. All of the things that impressed me with the Droid 1 have been attacked in the Droid 2. I love to root my phone and customize it. It would seem that after recent court rulings and an open source platform like android this would be easy. For some reason Motorola has decided to put bootloaders on devices and attack developers who make roms for the device (some of us would rather not have blur...and by some I mean most..what could be better than putting a skin on a device that slows down the phone and can't be removed?...Why would anyone be frustrated?...it would be different if it was an option and a choice but it isn't and that is unacceptable). When you sign a contract with a phone carrier on a two year plan you are most times stuck with that phone for the duration of the contract. You being the primary developer of the phone should let you customers know that updates will be slow because of blur and that you will abandon the device half way through the contract and your mission is to stop the phone from being updated by developers to keep the phone innovative and fun for your customers. From this point on I will only upgrade to true google phone experiences like the Nexus series so I can receive updates through my contract and not be treated like I have wronged you by wanting to update a device that you neglect anyway.

Motorola is one of the best companies out there as far as hardware and the marriage between android seemed like the best possible situation for the consumer but this new direction is sad. You would think that a company that was almost out of the mobile phone game 2 years ago before they partnered with android would realize what that platforms represents and try to nurture that relationship.

I understand that I don't mean much to you as a single customer. I also understand that I can't do much that would make you care if I leave to another mobile company but I will never recommend your products again and whenever I talk about your company I will let people know that you make great hardware but you failed to meet my needs as the customer and I will not do business with you again.

*We shall see the response I get...the only good news is my contract is up in a month and then it is just a waiting game to see what carrier comes up with the next cool GOOGLE phone. Please god let Google's next phone be a quadcore...that should keep me busy for awhile. =).

I'll let everyone know when I hear something...if I hear something.

eqforus5

Reaction score
Moto has gone crazy

I have had cell phones for the last 11 years and all but 1 of them has been a Motorola. With the news that is coming out now I must agree with you, I highly doubt I will ever buy another Moto phone ever again. My last phone was an LG and I was very impressed with its durability. Looks like I may have to go back to them when I am up for renewal again.

Alcia

Reaction score
After all of this. I'm done with the D2G. I can't switch carriers atm, sadly, but it's about time I hunt down another Droid 1. I hate myself for selling it and getting this phone now.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I am glad I only have this phone for another year maybe less not sure if I am willing to go buy a new htc device full I might when the quad cores come out still will be verizon but thinking HTC in my future

I cant wait for MOTTO to break away from android that way they can crash burn I will be laughing @ them

ahC_hED

Reaction score
I would say my next phone will be a HTC but it appears they are following Moto's trend. It just means, I'm gonna hold out on the new phones untill they have good dev support on here and unlockable.

The D2 was my introduction into Android, I'm jealous of the D1 and HTC users.

Sent from my DROID2 of shame.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I would say my next phone will be a HTC but it appears they are following Moto's trend. It just means, I'm gonna hold out on the new phones untill they have good dev support on here and unlockable.

The D2 was my introduction into Android, I'm jealous of the D1 and HTC users.

Sent from my DROID2 of shame.

D2G was my intro and I am too.... HTC may be following but they haven't gotten near as bad yet so until they do alot of people will drop moto for HTC imo....

Sent from my Liberated D2G

eqforus5

Reaction score
I think alot of people will be laughing at MOTO when they crash and burn if they drop android. Yes HTC is sounding better all the time. MOTO sure doesn't seem like they care about their customers at all. If they did they wouldn't screw around and mess with the dev teams like they are.

Travis798

Reaction score
Has HTC increased build quality? I used to be with Alltel, and their latest and greatest phones were already outdated, which left me with a touch pro. After a 6 month battle with that P.O.S I vowed to never buy another HTC phone unless they decided to take their hardware seriously.

Sadly we don't have all that many options when it comes to high end smart phones, but as of now I would feel compelled to own a well built, locked up tight motorola than to put up with the build quality of my last HTC product.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
They have close to the same hardware but moto does have a slight advantage there. HTC has better software though which imo outweighs the slightly better hardware, and they don't lock it down as much.

Pattmyn

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I already jumped ship. I wasn't on a contract with Telus, so I could hop at any time and Bell had a similar plan for cheaper and the HTC Desire Z for free on promo. My big thing is a hardware keyboard which makes my options limited at best.

Cloud36426

Reaction score
I came from a Droid x and too was fed up with MOTO. I bought a thunderbolt full price and am very happy that I did. This is my first HTC device andas far as build quality it feel just as if not better built than the x. I am very happy with the T-Bolt.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

michael7269

Reaction score
Gotta say that I am very disappointed in Moto. They are starting to become the Big Bad of Smartphones. This is my first foray into Android with a D2 and I really like the phone. I just really hate that they are being so draconian with the equipment. The whole reason I went to the D2 from my BB was because I really didn't have a whole lot of customization with my BB. I got so excited about the Android OS. Now my biggest disappointment is that I can't get CM7 b/c Moto doesn't want to unlock the bootloader. Well, I think my next device will be from HTC. Maybe soon. Maybe get an Incredible and put CM7 on it. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.