My Droid X's Keyboard's Magical Disappearing Trick!

Z

zoralink3

Hey everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to look at my post. I'm a newbie on these forums, so if this post is redundant, forgive me and point me in the right direction. I'm also not a techie, so my phone skills and lingo are somewhat limited. So without further ado, here's my issue:

All of the sudden this morning my keyboard on my Droid X stopped working (well, functionally at least). Anytime I'm typing a word, it freezes for an instant and the keyboard disappears whenever I hit the space bar. I have to re-click on the text box to get the keyboard back (or hold down the settings button) and once I start typing, it does the same thing again.

From what I can ascertain, it seems like this might be a somewhat common problem in Gingerbread (I'm running Android 2.2.3)? I'm using the default keyboard and would like to keep using it without wiping my phone or downloading an alternate keyboard. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

yerty22

Reaction score
Bumping this because I have the same issue.

I'm new here, too. Just found this by googling for other droid x issues. The keyboard issue is extremely annoying. I've done 3 factory resets, which I've found to be the only way to fix it. But then you have to download all your apps and adjust all your settings back the way you had them. If you do decide to do that, make sure to run the backup assistant first so you don't lose your contacts. But even doing the factory reset only seems to work for a few weeks.

haxerpaylay

Reaction score
Are either of y'all rooted? And if not would you consider it?

SSX 2.0 and underclocked to 800mhz with ultra low voltages.

yerty22

Reaction score
Mine is not. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but honestly my knowledge is limited on these phones, so I would need to be pointed in the right direction on how to do it. I've had so many problems with this phone in the 11 months I've had it and called Verizon multiple times about it. They bumped up my upgrade date to next month due to all of the issues I have had, so I'm strongly considering doing that.

I did find this in another thread. I tried it and I can tell a difference in performance immediately. Not that this is related to the keyboard issue, but I'm looking for anything to help me not hate this phone as much.

"Wow - I was going crazy about how my Droid had slowed down. Going back to the home screen from the browser or Google maps, it would 30 seconds for the widgets and app shortcuts to load and it was basically unresponsive during that time.
I stumbled upon a comment on another forum and tried this:
Go to Settings>Display and disable all animations.
Amazing difference! Now my Droid is as snappy as it was fresh out of the box!
And so far I do not see any other difference in the UI, nothing I am missing out on. "

haxerpaylay

Reaction score
Mine is not. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but honestly my knowledge is limited on these phones, so I would need to be pointed in the right direction on how to do it. I've had so many problems with this phone in the 11 months I've had it and called Verizon multiple times about it. They bumped up my upgrade date to next month due to all of the issues I have had, so I'm strongly considering doing that.

I did find this in another thread. I tried it and I can tell a difference in performance immediately. Not that this is related to the keyboard issue, but I'm looking for anything to help me not hate this phone as much.

"Wow - I was going crazy about how my Droid had slowed down. Going back to the home screen from the browser or Google maps, it would 30 seconds for the widgets and app shortcuts to load and it was basically unresponsive during that time.
And so far I do not see any other difference in the UI, nothing I am missing out on. "

I would recommend rooting your phone, as there is really not much else you can do if you already have wiped.

There's a couple links I can give you. That are really helpful. Im on my phone right now ill put them up when I get home tonight. Hopefully than we can set you up with a workable phone. :)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
you can try to go into settings>applications>multi touch keyboard and clear the application data.

I would recommend root also though. Its amazing.

Snow02

Reaction score
you can try to go into settings>applications>multi touch keyboard and clear the application data.

This should fix it.

yerty22

Reaction score

I would recommend rooting your phone, as there is really not much else you can do if you already have wiped.

There's a couple links I can give you. That are really helpful. Im on my phone right now ill put them up when I get home tonight. Hopefully than we can set you up with a workable phone. :)

Thanks, I'll wait for your links and give it a try.

Thanks to the others who replied as well.

haxerpaylay

Reaction score

I wanted to ask have you looked at any of the roms that are available for the droidx? Have any in mind so I can steer you that way.

yerty22

Reaction score

I wanted to ask have you looked at any of the roms that are available for the droidx? Have any in mind so I can steer you that way.

I haven't and don't know anything about them so I will most likely try whatever you recommend.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

I haven't and don't know anything about them so I will most likely try whatever you recommend.

For the most stable ROM out there, I recommend Apex. Its fast, Blur-less and amazing.

CM74DX

haxerpaylay

Reaction score

I would recommend liberty gingerbread as a starter rom. It has very easy customization tools and and is very stable. It was my first rom on my droidx.

Casatranquila

Reaction score

Thank you Brad92! This completely resolved the issue for me... had the same problem. This was all I had to do to fix it. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums