My Droid X Horror Story (don't pull the "pull" tab)

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by danzilla911, Jul 28, 2010.

1. goracer

goracer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This had me laughing, sorry. Motorola said they have already changed or will change the battery pull to be more obvious. Why can't they just put words like "batter puller"? I started to pull mine and when it caught I looked and did not see any perferations (luckily I did not rip mine off).

It shold be something like this below:

<-- Don't tear off. Battery lifter tab.

In large bold type.

The confusion lies in this is the first phone i've seen that has a battery puller as part of that large peice. I've seen ribbons but they were not a tab on a larger peice of cloth. Anyhow, the protective plastic covers always have the little tab so subconsiously you think to remove it because it says pull. If the battery would have been in the phone then it would have been obvious.

It was many people that pulled their tabs off or Motorola would not have posted they implimented new printing on it to prevent it from continuing to happen.

#85 goracer, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. Super Stu

Super Stu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The comparison is utterly flawed. I am not instructed to delete c:\system (to which I assume you're referring to c:\windows\system, of course) when buying a new PC. I'm not instructed to randomly rip parts from my Ferrari, when purchasing said car.

I was instructed to pull this tab. In doing so, it came away from the battery compartment, very easily. You don't own the device and, therefore, presumably have no direct experience of how easily this is achieved.

I'm not arguing, either. I'm countering what I believe to be flawed assertions. At this point, they don't appear to be particularly defensible.

See above. As you have not actually pulled the tab in the manner described, you're perhaps unaware of how easily it detaches from the phone itself. It required very little pressure. In fact, I believe there was a small perforation, aiding the ease of removal.

So, no, this is not correct (attempt at oneupmanship notwithstanding).

3. Evolution

Evolution New Member

Ratings:
    +0

Well you see in goracer's post ..."I looked and did not see any perferations" just stating. It simple says "Pull" not "remove" and he was fortunate enough to pull the tab, and no REMOVE it. again, common sense.
    Thank you goracer.

4. Super Stu

Super Stu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Droid X: That “Pull” Tab Behind the Battery Cover is for Battery Removal, Don’t Tear it Out! | Techerator

Do you see the small hole, near the tab? This is where my tab tore, the hole facilitating the rip. You're quite right, it is an unintentional perforation, but a perforation nevertheless.

The entire tab came away very easily, with very little pulling. No forcible attempt to simply "remove" was made. You have no experience in the matter and will, therefore, have to take the word of those who did so.

5. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    No one at fault, just a friendly reminder not to divulge into name calling or flaming :)

Thanks!

6. Evolution

Evolution New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I ment no harm, I am sorry. Just trying to remind people to use common sense.

7. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    I was serious, I had no one in mind. Just wanted to let everyone know we're watching :icon_eek:. LOL

8. Evolution

Evolution New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Understood. And I appreciate your activness. Thank you.

9. Super Stu

Super Stu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It should not have been labelled at all. If it was simply left red, or made distinguishable from the black battery by some other means, it would have been immediately obvious as to its use when the owner came to remove the battery.

Labeling it "pull" when the battery does not come pre-installed was, in retrospect, a poor design decision by Motorola.

10. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +63
    EDIT: lol Stu beat me to it. The battery wasnt already installed. If it was I could see it being a common sense issue.

The hood release says pull. U pull it. Wasnt the hood already on the car before pulling the hood release? If u remove the hood completely...THATS not having common sense.

Ppl pulled the tab before putting the battery in. With no indication it was for removing the battery, some folks removed it completely. Like someone mentioned at another site, the tab was too ambiguous. Its clearer now. If u remove it all the way NOW, not having common sense comes into play.

Evolution, I was one of the ones that almost pulled it out, then decided to put my battery in first just to see what happened. Me coming from the Droid, that didnt have a pull tab, I woulda been more inclined to pull the tab all the way out. I woulda assumed removing the battery was gonna be the same for the X.

I can see where u coming from about common sense. But I dont think the folks who did pull it all the way out dont have common sense tho. Common sense also says follow directions, pull the tab cuz thats what it says. Especially with the battery not being installed I can see why some pulled the tab all the way out.

#94 jroc, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  11. Guyute

Guyute Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I got my DX it was obvious to me this was a battery pull, just like some old toys I had as a kid. Last thing I thought was to yank it out or pull on it without a battery in it.

Just my .000002 cents

I guess others thought differently.

12. Richie Calloway

Richie Calloway New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you do accidently tear out the tab. Do what I did. Simply take piece of scotch tape and attatch it to the underside of the battery and then touch the very end of the tape back on itself and bring it around the side of the battery you have the same kind of pull tab that you tore out. Simply pull the tape and the battery comes right out no problems.

Search tags for this page

how to remove the droid x2 battery from the compartment without the pull tab