1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

My Droid- the Lemon :(

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible Tech Support' started by nia07, Jun 23, 2010.

1. nia07

nia07 New Member

OK so I got it at BestBuy, the day it came out- Apr 29th I think. Never having a blackberry I didn't know anything about apps and such. All was good... until it started to freeze! Wondering if it was an app causing it... it took a while for me to figure out- nope it was the phone. Have to remove the battery for at least 10 mins to get it to start again :( I went to Bestbuy while it happened... it would recycle on and off and on and freeze. The worker saw it and said he would replace it when a new one came in. (we all know the distrubution problem) He put my name up on the wall- promised to call me, before any pre orders, etc. Now fast forward to last week. I am on vaca and the phone is getting worse and worse. I got some pics with it, but it would just shut off all the time. Battery out for a hr and still wouldn't restart. Now I get a call from Bestbuy- and they tell me I am over my "30 days" and can't help me. I am like no no no, gave the name of who I saw and his promise of a new one. I told them I could of turned my old phone on, but was waiting and putting up with this!! waiting for the replacement. A promise to call me back, they didnt. I go in the day I get back. They had one in, sold it and can't help me!! They can send it out for repair is all. Tell me maybe Verizon can help. ARGGG!! (I had been to Verizon already, back when I 1st went to Bestbuy and they did a default reboot to factory, but had none in stock either. Like I said it got worse in time.) So I go to Verizon and they see it, a frozen recylcing mess!! AT this point it wouldnt stay on AT ALL!! They guy thank god felt bad and was shocked I wasn't screaming by now. But we put my old crap phone on and he is going to call me when new stock comes in, in a month!! yikes!! :( :( :( I was able to mess around with it and get it on ONCE and hook up to the computer and save all my pics thank god. I had them going to the card, but didnt catch when the did the reboot, that setting went back to phone.

I used to love Bestbuy Mobile... not any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So lesson to you all, make sure your pics are going to your card!!! You have to be on camera to get to the setting by the way.

I can't wait to get my phone back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I dont know if I made sense, but when I first went into Bestbuy, I was within 30 days, but since they did not have a replacement then and told me to wait, it put me beyond 30 days. Now Bestbuy says too bad. Verizon says they will give me a "like new" but since they dont have any Incredibles, they don't have any "like news" either... I may get a new one, I may not. I think spending 200 bucks for a phone that clearly is a lemon (lasted less 3 weeks) deserves new. IMHO.

Is like new something to worry about???
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. jnagy129

jnagy129 New Member

if i were you i would definitely consider hiring a lawyer...thats pretty messed up :/
  3. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Contact a lawyer and have it addressed that way. Best Buy is one of the WORST places to go for electronics, period. I avoid that hell hole like the plague.
  4. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

A Lawyer? While best buy should have help up what they told him, he should have gotten it in writing. Other than this, it's covered by the one year warranty and vzon will replace it no problem.

I never, ever go to a store when a phone has an issue. I call 611, and have one sent. It's easier than trying to argue with some guy who is just there to sell retail, and to talk to the TS guys who are more knowledgeable and willing to replace.
  5. jnagy129

jnagy129 New Member

yeah, but would you really want to basically pay full price for a refurbished phone?
    ..or do you think the odds of getting a brand new one are pretty good? i say rotten tomatoes..err lemons
  6. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

Well, since I am on my third motodroid I will answer this and say, I prefer a refurb. WHAT?! you say? OMGZ I paid blah blah and gunna get something used? Yep!

Heres the thing..my frist droid lasted a month and had to be replaced..it was new enough they sent me a brand new one, which broke two months later. This third, is a refurb. It's been perfect.

When they are going out new, they are on a production line. QC only checks one of probably every 500 or so. So many bad ones can slip through the cracks. Refurbs all get touched by someone and gets checked to make sure it functions. It's not like you're going to get a phone thats all scratched up or the screen is nicked up. I think demanding a new one is kind of just a pride thing. It also clearly states in your contract your phone will be replaced as a replacement, not as a new phone.
  7. jnagy129

jnagy129 New Member

lol i just dont like the idea of someone playing with my toy before i get too ;) but best buy offers this as a service if you get a new laptop
    but yeah youre right that does make sense
  8. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Off topic best buy story:

I bought a new sony vaio desktop there years ago, had a prob with it and went into ask some questions. After at the customer service area for 20 mins (No lines at this store then) waiting for the one guy their to finish with someone else. Meanwhile a lady walks up next to me and proceeds to wait to. Then another 'rep' comes out from the back and goes right to that lady and asks her how he can help her.. not even asking "Whos next?", the lady and the other service guy (Who knew I'd been waiting) said nothing, and I let it go.. ladies first...blah ..anyways, finally when hes done with her, I ask him my questions and he says he has to go back to look it up.. I stood their literally for 40 minutes. Finally he comes out.. walks up to some other guy at the counter and asks him how he can help them. At this point Im ready to explode, THEN his co worker asks him how lunch was?!! I was )@#@_($_'ing standing their waiting while he ate lunch, I said, Dude??? What about my questions, he looks at me like huh? then goes, oh yea I couldnt find anything on that issue, you may want to try the web. Now I was fuming...I've noticed on several occasions at BBm where Ive waited in aisle for assistance while their 'employees' talk with each other, ony to have some girl walk in the area and one of them walks up to them and asks if they need help.. unfreaking believable or acceptable. This isn't towards all BB employees, some have been very helpful, or at least put in an effort to try and make me believe they knew what they were talking about.. but anyways..

And yes. BEST BUY in Plymouth Meeting, Pa, this is about YOU!
  9. movadoevo8

movadoevo8 New Member

If you were within your 30 days when you first went there, just because when the phone was now available was pass your 30 days it does not matter, because you reported your problem within your 30 days and it's not your fault or problem they did not have a phone in stock.

You needed to demand and talk to a manager and fight and make a huge SCENE in front of everyone and embarrass them. That is total BS I would almost agree with the guy above and hire a lawyer, but just don't know if it's worth going through all that trouble.

Also off topic let me tell you about an insident that happen to me.
    I bought a brad new 2000 Toyota Celica GTS the first day they were released and there was an issue with the Injectors and the car started making weird noises...

When i bought the car i traded in my 91 Toyota MR2 which was in mint condition. So when i took the celica back to repair since it was under warranty of course especially that it was only 2 weeks later. Every week i would call for an update and the car was not ready, yet i'm paying my monthly bill. after 2 months without a car they told me the car was so new that they mechanics were not familiar with the injection system that when they installed the injectors they screwed up and fuel mixed with oil and blew the motor. So i would have to wait for a new motor to be installed.

I fought and told them I want a new CELICA i dont want that one i dont want a car with a rebuilt motor since i paid for a new one and it was factory defect. They said no blah blha SO i asked for my car back and the manager said no way purchase a new car from us.

So i went to my lawyer all it took was him writing them a letter and within 2 days i got a call from my lawyer that my car was still available and not sold and it was ready for me to pick up + i got my money back from all the months i paid which were 2 months worth.

So at the same time it could be worth it u do the same, it's just up to you. I did pay the lawyer 200$ just for him to write a letter though.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  10. jnagy129

jnagy129 New Member

lol you should try to find a family member that is a lawyer or a friend, you usually get a lot better deal, maybe a class action sort of thing exists somewhere?
  11. SubMatrix

SubMatrix New Member

I'm in a pretty similar situation to the OP, in that I bought my Incredible from Best Buy, and this week is the week my 30 days are up. I've already called in for an exchange, sbut of course they were out of stock, and the manager of the mobile division there promised me that I could come in and they would extend the 30 days (since when I wanted to do an exchange they didnt have any in stock). This call was last week. Yesterday I called again and got someone else (not the manager) and after I explained the situation he promised me that it would be on him to honor the extension if they are unable to exchange a phone for me.

Supposedly they are getting a shipment today though, which would be within the 30 days, so we'll see what happens.
  12. nia07

nia07 New Member

Yep my situation stinks- but I wouldn't bother with a lawyer, just not worth my time and $. When I say BB wouldn't backup the sales guy who promised me a new one, I did speak to the manager... and when HE said he couldn't do anything, I asked for another manager and he said I am the only one in Mobile and no one else can do it either. He said Verizon won't work with them after 30 days and that was that. Hands tied. He said I could of got another type phone back then and I said oh no, don't give me that, that was not offered to me at all- AND I came in and got the Incredible the day they came out because that is what I wanted. DUH!!!

I believe the VZ guy will take care of me when they come in. He was floored that I wasn't freaking and yelling and said he noted the account of such! ;) Truth was I was sooooo sick of the whole thing by then, I just was worn out lol
  13. SubMatrix

SubMatrix New Member

you probably just got an unlucky store, the manager has actually been working closely with me to get my situation resolved, even if it takes me past my 30 days to do so. He even gave me his personal # so I can contact him directly. He also checked up on other nearby stores for stock and if so, is having it delivered to the store I bought mine at so I can do the exchange.

I know this sounds like exceedingly good customer service, but judging by this it IS possible to do an exchange after 30 days.
  14. nia07

nia07 New Member

Ya you are probably right. I am really missing my Droid!! I am texting the old way... and i hate it!!
  15. nia07

nia07 New Member

I got my new Droid today :icon_ banana:dancedroid Verizon rep from the store did what he said and got it mailed to me. (I guess they are not getting them in the store at all) He said it would say "like new" but it would be new since they have none like new lol. Havent programmed it yet... but YAY!!
  16. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Too bad. I got my Droid at BB on 11/6/09. No problems and it's the original phone.

I must admit that when I go there to buy it's because I found out I can't get it elsewhere.
Search tags for this page

does htc make lemons

htc dna lemon law