My droid is spazzing out

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. ditch the cheap charger (if you're using one). stick with OEM whenever possible. there's something with the chip that prevents battery explosion and the capacitive touch screens that the cheaper charges seem to be missing.

2. glass cleaners have amonias and other chemicals. avoid glass cleaners of any type and only use alcohol solutions like what comes with some screen protectors or something like invisible glass.

3. dust conducts electricity! if your dust has gotten wet and lodged under your screen or through your speaker, etc., etc., you may have inadvertantly caused an unsaviory environment, causing the "spasm". although this situation is probably pretty unlikely, if you're SPRAYING the phone to clean it, and not the rag, you're going to kill your phone. period.

Reaction score
What about OEM cable with an extension? I figure it should be fine, but is is a 6ft USB extension cable.

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's not the cable that's the problem, it's the power block the cable plugs in to. you can use any USB micro cable.

Reaction score
Ah ok. That's what I figured. So I probably shouldn't use my car charger then? It came with the hard case that I got off of eBay. I don't really trust the charger, but the case was nice.

kinhell

Reaction score
Mine's been rebooting itself at seemingly random intervals for the past couple of week.. started happening after the Android 2.1 update. As of today I've removed any active widgets from the home screens to see if that makes any difference... have also turned off email updates.

I use the Droid in the car, and it seems to reboot at the same point on the journey home. It must be a time-based thing, rather than location. I'm guessing that after I start a podcast playing, it's then a matter of 10-15min before it reboots on it's own.

jt12gage

Reaction score
spazzing out droid

i ran into this problem which had started yesterday. After having it spazz out and not allow me to unlock my phone properly when i was able to get into my phone i took my password off so it wouldnt happen. Figured that would fix it... However.. It just made it worse. It would unlock itself and go through my applications, phone numbers, internet (facebook) and all sorts of things by its self. When i would call someone it would hang up on them, and sometimes it would freeze my phone up so i cant do anything. Everytime i hit the top right button to lock my phone and hit it again and unlock it then it would be fine for about 5-10 seconds before acting up again. I did a factory reset on the phone after fighting with the damn thing for about 30 to 45 mins because it wouldnt let me into that option. Every time i tried to click settings privacy and factory reset it would either go back, lock up on me or not allow me to hit anything. As i said before i finally got it to work and when it booted back up and prompted me to activate my phone.. It happend once again and took me about 30-50 mins to reactivate my phone due to the fact it kept hitting back on me while the activation was in progress... I am going to take it to the verizon store tomorrow and see what they say about it. I will be back on here to let you all know to hopefully save you the trouble that i had to go through with this damn phone. --

djtrype

Reaction score
Mine started doing this yesterday as well. Doesn't matter what screen I'm on it will just scroll through windows, select apps and basically render the phone useless. I'm rooted using Cyanogen. I'd hate to have to unroot my phone.

Bobert51

Reaction score
I've had this problem twice now. there's nothing that can be done. unroot your phone and get a warranty replacement. I'm on my third Droid because of it.

MarkO

Reaction score
I posted in another thread of this same problem. Mine had done it on occasion last spring, but last week itt was going absolute bonkers Wednesday and into Thursday. I ended up unrooting Friday (which took nearly forever considering). Went back to stock and now the middle 1/3 of the screen does not respond at all to any touch. At least it's no longer going crazy, but i got to use the keypad to navigate. Called Verizon on Friday and they're overnighting me a certified replacement today.

poena

Reaction score
this has been happening to me for a few weeks ago.
i thought it was related to the rom i was running (sapphire 1.1) but now switched to BB5 and still have the problem. Mine is more so I can't type properly. it starts hitting all these other letters and then just starts to go crazy

i have to turn off the screen and back on in order for it to be ok.

i got my phone the weekend the droid came out.

its also not something i can replicate. it kind of does it whenever it wants.

abraham3660

Reaction score
I have had this problem twice, but for me there was a simple fix. The first time, I took it to Verizon and the first thing they asked is what new apps have you installed recently? The guy there said this happened to him and it is 95% of the time a bad app. I unistalled this one app i had installed right before the spazzing occured, and voila! my phone was fixed. The same thing happened the second time, and i uninstalled another recently instslled app, and it was fixed again.

portermac

Reaction score
I've seen on two occasions a droid go crazy. They kept their phone in their pocket and the moisture and dust was causing the problems. They got a case and no more problems. I bet some of you this could be the cause. Hope this helps.

poena

Reaction score
well my screen has had a crack in it since jan. and i put a screen protector over it about a month ago?