My Droid is set to 1x instead of 3G

mitchb2

Reaction score
Anyone know why this is?
I have a phone interview in a couple of hours and this is my only phone.

I didn't need another thing to be nervous about!

This is the first time I've ever seen this. It's always been 3G.

taypotts

Reaction score
With 1x you will be able to get your phone call just fine. 1x is for voice and 3G is for Data. Dial *288 option 1 to update your PRL see if that helps.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Mine did this Sat night. I restarted and it was fine.

Did you try calling vzon to see if they are having network issues near you?

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
Thanks! I obviously don't know the difference between the two. I saw a comment that said 1x is nearly unusable and that freaked me out.

A reboot took care of it. I'm a bundle of nerves until I get through this interview.

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
With 1x you will be able to get your phone call just fine. 1x is for voice and 3G is for Data. Dial *288 option 1 to update your PRL see if that helps.

Actually to update your PRL's, that should be *228 and option 2.

loop4zil

Reaction score
Anyone know why this is?
I have a phone interview in a couple of hours and this is my only phone.

I didn't need another thing to be nervous about!

This is the first time I've ever seen this. It's always been 3G.

Good Luck...with the phone interview.

I fixed this with a battery pull

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, a battery pull didn't work for me, nor did dialing *228. I had to call Verizon and have a ticket written up on it. About 4 days after that it was fixed.

Just letting the OP know if none of the other options don't work.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I'm could be wrong... but I always thought when the phone switches to 1x it meant that 3G wasn't available where you where(or at least is really weak at the time). I've never pulled the battery or rebooted and it allways seems to work itself out when I get to an area with stronger coverage.

lauriep

Reaction score
1X has nothing to do with voice. It means your 3G signal isn't strong. Mine varies all the tome, even when I am sitting still.

tattoo12

Reaction score
I am new to the droid and the droid forum and have a question if you don't mind. I am experiencing some issues with my 3G as well. Sometime's it says 3G sometimes it says 1x when it says 1x I can't play videos on youtube it will freeze on me. So I called verizon and the guy said it might be a defective antenna and said they would send me another droid 2 global. I am curious after reading the post what I should do keep my current droid2 or just keep the new one they send ?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are obvious variables with each of these problems. One could be, your area doesn't have great 3g, highly possible. The other could be a faulty device, very possible. You could also just need to do a phone reset, just like computers do sometimes; remember a good reset can fix a load of problems with our phone which is essentially a mini pc. There could also be a problem with the network, Verizon is either working on the cell location or it's just having problems, call if you must or wait it out.

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
My problem ended up being that my Droid is just a piece of crap. It's broken in many ways. When I lose 3G I have to power the phone down/up to get it back.

I'm just waiting for the announcements on the next wave of phones coming out so that I can replace the Droid.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, I didn't know at the time it was my 3G dying out on me, but my internet would stop working. The only way to get it back was to power the phone off and on and it would work for a little while.

I sent off for a replacement and it never happened again.

windstrings

Reaction score
My problem ended up being that my Droid is just a piece of crap. It's broken in many ways. When I lose 3G I have to power the phone down/up to get it back.

I'm just waiting for the announcements on the next wave of phones coming out so that I can replace the Droid.

the HTC thunderbolt looks interesting......

I"ve lost my 3g before too.. usually simply hitting the off button to turn off the display and then hitting it again to bring it back up is enough to re-energize the 3g.

I seemed to have the problem more when I had my vocodec set to EVRC-B on all three counts.... now I left the roaming part set to default EVRC and only the first two changed to EVRC-B and that pretty much fixed my problem.

My suspicion is that some roaming cell towers don't negotiate the EVRC-B well and so drops the 3G.
I don't really know what i"m talking about as I don't understand how the 3g reacts or interacts with the EVRC-B vocodec, but its just an observation.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remembered, you can also fix this problem without turning your phone off. Simply hit the power button, hit airplane mode on, then airplane mode off and your 3g should come back.

This is a temporary fix until you get a new phone obviously.