My droid is not meant to be rooted

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Fuzedmind, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Fuzedmind

Fuzedmind New Member

Hey guys,

Yea, so I am finding it impossible to root my droid. I follow every step and when I boot into recovery mode and try to update I get this error:

--Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E: Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (is a directory)
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation Aborted"

I have searched this and numerous other forums for a solution, to no avail. I have considered the fact the .zip extension may be hidden, I have tried renaming it both ways. I also tried numerous different update packages. I feel like I am missing something else.
  2. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

download the droid mob updater from droidmod.org and run it, it will root and install the recovery for you so you dont have to worry about file name issues and stuff :)
  3. Fuzedmind

Fuzedmind New Member

I got it to work. I downloaded the file directly to my phone's SD card instead of my downloads folder first and that did it. Spread the word
  4. avisamo

avisamo New Member

not for me it didnt.
  5. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Unfortunately, our Droids have not taught us the power to read minds, so you will need to be more specific on what you did, and what happened.
  6. avisamo

avisamo New Member

I have done everything fuzedmind has done, I have even done an adb push as per the suggestion of Big Lou on rootyourdroid.info to try and keep the signature from changing, and yet I still get the whole "signature verification failed" problem
  7. adrynalyne

Attach the file you are using. The very file you are using, thats on your sd card.
  8. avisamo

avisamo New Member

Max attachment size for zips is 9.54 mb. However I am dling it from here.

EDIT: I lied. Upon rereading fuzedmind's post his is happening because "E: Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (is a directory)" I didn't catch that. Mine is happening the exact same way, except that line says "E: failed to verify whole file signature" I'm assuming this means I have a completely different problem than him.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  9. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

If you are having this much trouble rooting you need to not do it. You really should read and understand what is going on when you root your device. Update.zip goes on the "ROOT" of the sdcard. If you don't know what that is then i do not recommend rooting. Very basic....

If you read and do your homework you will find rooting and all that goes with it easy, meaningful and fun.
  10. avisamo

avisamo New Member

The thing is, I HAVE done my homework. I read all the top threads on this site, and multiple other sites, before I even started to think about it. I made sure it was reversible, that it was justifiable, that it was something I felt was in my range of computer knowledge, and that it little to no chance of bricking my phone. I followed the steps on rootyourdroid.info to the very last detail. Now that I am having this signature verification problem I searched through all the posts on this forum and on rootyourdroid.info I triple checked everything that everyone else was doing wrong, naming a .zip with a .zip because it was hidden, not putting it in the root folder, not having the right download, not letting the download finish, etcetc. I have redownloaded the file at least 20 times , multiple times to my phone, multiple times to my computer, includind directly into the tools folder in the adroid sdk folder. I have adb pushed it to my droid, copied it to my droid, everything imaginable. THEN I POSTED HERE. I'm not an idiot. I don't appreciate being called one. I'm not genius with this stuff, but I have more than the basic understanding at this point. </wall o' text>
  11. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

Fair enough and well said. Please accept my apology if you think i was calling you an idiot. The post was for anyone planning on rooting. Anyway, watch the youtube videos on rooting or watch the video on www.droid-life.com Maybe you are missing a little step.

The actual root process is as easy as:
    1. downloading the file to your PC. Extracting it and placing it in the root of the SD card.
    2. Then selecting it in recovery mode to let it do its thing....

weird your droid is having difficulties
  12. avisamo

avisamo New Member

Already have done all that. I seem to be in a very small group of unfortunate people with this problem. Most people having these problems are doinitrong. are oh en gee. The others I've seen that are doinitrite get ignored in those massive root help threads and never speak up again. I personally plan on getting to the bottom of it as I didn't buy a $200 phone. When I bought my Moto Droid it was with the intent of having a mini computer.
  13. adrynalyne

14. Mojo

Mojo New Member

If you are having so many issues with the method's you have tried, try using DroidMod's DMupdater. It will do all the hard stuff for you. The hardest thing you will have to do is boot into recovery one time. The rest is following the on screen instructions. You can download it from DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does.
  15. avisamo

avisamo New Member

This worked. Whatever was different about there download of the update.zip file worked as opposed to everyone elses update.zip
  16. gbb0131

gbb0131 New Member

I'm having the same issue with the signature thing. My droid 1 has been rooted since I got it almost. I have the update.zip file in the root of the sd card .. doesn't matter which rom I try to upload.
  17. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Signature verification has to do with stock recovery.

No custom recovery has any signature verification.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  18. fictionwerks

fictionwerks New Member

For the droid 1 I recommend using super 1 click to root. Get from xda forums. I have rooted numerous droids with it. After that get rom manager and flash clockwork recovery. That will.give you what you need to flash roms.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  19. bullswife98

bullswife98 New Member

This is very true!! I rooted my droid1 using this method,worked first time perfectly! Never had any problems since. Dwnld Motorola drivers,then the file from xda and follow the steps! Mind you my Droid was also completely stock with the last Verizon update,v2.2.2 so super one click will root it! Must follow to the T!!!

Rooted,RZRecovery
    Rom: Liquid Gingerbread v1.7
    Kernal: Stock250/1100oc(smrt mod)
    Theme: Revolution/ADW Ex blacklight
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  20. PARick

PARick New Member

Sounds like your SD Card my be going bad. I'd make a backup, get a new one transfer the files.
Search tags for this page
failed to verify whole-file signature droid og

file signature failed rooting s4

fixed superuser signature verification failed gt-s7652

gt-i9082

how to root nextbook7sthrough sdcard

nextbook 7se root failed to verify whole-file signature

tryed rooting nextbook 7 and i keep getting signiter verific

verification failed s7652