My Droid is a Brick and hates me

Canepohl

Reaction score
So this is the second phone to do it to me in the 10 days I have owned a Droid. After talking for a little over a hour while the phone is on the charger. I end the call, and it goes to the lock screen. The screen quits working. I get no responce to any touch.
1) I take the battery out it will reboot and the screen still won't work.
2) Safe mode gives me same result (Menu and power)
3) Even if I hard boot and format the drive(holding X and the power), I get the new phone set-up screen, but doesn't work.

Has anyone else ever heard or had this problem?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So this is the second phone to do it to me in the 10 days I have owned a Droid. After talking for a little over a hour while the phone is on the charger. I end the call, and it goes to the lock screen. The screen quits working. I get no responce to any touch.
1) I take the battery out it will reboot and the screen still won't work.
2) Safe mode gives me same result (Menu and power)
3) Even if I hard boot and format the drive(holding X and the power), I get the new phone set-up screen, but doesn't work.

Has anyone else ever heard or had this problem?

Did you try just pushing the power button to see if the screen came back up?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you downloaded any apps you think might be the cause and have you rooted your phone?

I'd think an app that did this would generate lots of noise here in the forum and elsewhere so I suspect you just got a bum phone. 3rd time is the charm, bring it back and get another one.

The sequence of events is exactly the same for both phones? You talk on it for over an hour while it is charging and it is dead? I haven't heard of this. I would think if that was a known issue Verizon would know it was and tell you.

OP
C

Canepohl

Reaction score
Have you downloaded any apps you think might be the cause and have you rooted your phone?

I'd think an app that did this would generate lots of noise here in the forum and elsewhere so I suspect you just got a bum phone. 3rd time is the charm, bring it back and get another one.

The sequence of events is exactly the same for both phones? You talk on it for over an hour while it is charging and it is dead? I haven't heard of this. I would think if that was a known issue Verizon would know it was and tell you.

The phone beeped one time that it had a low battery. It was low, but not dead.

Ap list: Task Manager, Last FM, Pandora, Beautiful Widgets, One of the Tethering programs (PDA net), Shazam, Wifi Analyzer, Weather bug, Trap, Lookout Anti-virus, Voice Text, SMS popup, Droid LED

And yes both phones had the same problem, and lead up to the problem

OP
C

Canepohl

Reaction score
Did you try just pushing the power button to see if the screen came back up?

Yes, I tried that...:dry:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Ap list: Task Manager, Last FM, Pandora, Beautiful Widgets, One of the Tethering programs (PDA net), Shazam, Wifi Analyzer, Weather bug, Trap, Lookout Anti-virus, Voice Text, SMS popup, Droid LED

My bet is the anti-virus. Get rid of it and try again. They all have been connected with aberrant behavior (in the phone, not the operator!!).

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah get rid of the AV, there have been no reports of a virus on android...

OP
C

Canepohl

Reaction score
My bet is the anti-virus. Get rid of it and try again. They all have been connected with aberrant behavior (in the phone, not the operator!!).

Thanks, I will try today.... when I get lucky number 3.

Last edited:

JCo352

Reaction score

Try deleting that anti-virus app i've heard they cause nothing but problems

jev

Reaction score
Lookout was not the anti-virus that caused all the problems. It was the one called antivirus and had the pill icon.

Atook

Reaction score
Lookout was not the anti-virus that caused all the problems. It was the one called antivirus and had the pill icon.

Nope, Lookout caused problems as well, I got rid of it once I realized it was the reason for all the FCs on my phone.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lookout has caused it own share of problems from FC's to reboots to extreme sluggishness. It is a good program, but does not work on everyone's phone. Try taking it out and see if the problem goes away. If that doesn't do it, go to the next app and then the next until you find the culprit.

Good luck.

OP
C

Canepohl

Reaction score
Seems to be fixed

So I let the phone die. When I powered it back up the screen worked. I set up the phone all over again, and it seems to work. I choose not to install a bunch of the apps I did in the past. The real test won't be till the next long conversation I have. Lookout, Voice TXT being some of them. The only problem I see now is when running Pandora or Last FM the 3G coverage drops.... but that may just be Verizon fixing the problem from this morning. I just don't understand why formating the whole phone and pulling the battery didn't fix it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, it's working let's hope it stays that way. Sometimes I think these Droids really do have a mind of their own.:)