My Droid having several issues

CheyAut

Reaction score
I'm not that tech savvy with these phones, I don't know anything about rooting or the like, no clue what the gingerbread thing is I see posted on here... so bare with me!

This started happening Thursday. I have not installed anything new, and to my knowledge no recent updates (other than some apps update). I also don't have very many apps that I use or have downloaded. I will try to remember everything that's wrong...

Things will freeze and then tell me they aren't responding, I can force close or wait (waiting does nothing). So far it's been my facebook app, browser (whatever browser is normal on the phone, I have not downloaded any) and when typing an email reply from the messaging area on the phone.

The phone is VERY slow.

The virtual/touch keyboard (whatever that's called) does not come up anymore (I pretty much always use the slide out keyboard anyhow, but...)

No matter what the orientation of the phone, the very bottom part won't work. And by the orientation I mean if you turn it to horizontal, the part that doens' twork moves with the screen... so I know it's not an issue with the touch screen itself, does that make sense? So I can't use the buttons at the bottom of the screen (like my dialer button, I had to add a phone number to contacts in order to make a call yesterday). Sometimes I can't get into settings, either.

The phone gets HOT.

The battery charge doesn't last very long (was fine up to Thursday when these problems surfaced)

What I've tried: turning it off then on did nothing. A battery pull made it work for a few minutes, then same thing. My friend told me to dial *228 and option 2 (that's what I had to add to the contacts to call). Check for system updates, there wasn't one. Then she had me clear the cache from each app. Then remove the battery for a minute. It worked for a few minutes, then back to problems.

Just before posting here I found smoething about hte reset, where you hold down x and power on. Got the triangle thing to come up, then the directions said hold the volume up button and press the camera button, but nothing happend. Nothing happened no matter what I did, just had the triangle, so I took out the battery and turned it back on. It's now working normal agian, but as wtih the previous times, I doubt it'll stay that way.

I've had this phone since the Droid 2 first came out. I LOVE this phone other than now! Help?

OP
C

CheyAut

Reaction score
As I suspected, it's back to not working properly :(

It seems that when it IS working good, what causes it to stop working right is typing... it doesn't matter if it's an email, on FB, or a text, but typing is the culprit...?

ETA: Not sure if it matters, but I'm typing on the slide out keyboard. I RARELY use the touch keyboard, adn only for quick little things as I prefer the "real" one (which is why I chose the Droid 2)

Last edited:

lizard

Reaction score
Try going to Settings>language and keyboard>milti touch keyboard. Uncheck the predict word option.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

Jonas

Reaction score
You were correct on that reset up to a point. What you needed to do was instead of hitting that camera button, you needed to hit the search button on your hard keyboard. Then you needed to scroll down to factory reset (with your volume keys), and select factory reset/wipe data (with your hard camera button). If this does not work, please feel free to PM me, I'm more than glad to help! I will try to respond as quickly as possibly, usually within a few minutes.

Best of luck!

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I would suggest, short of a factory reset, is that you uninstall every app that you downloaded from the Market that you don't absolutely need. Use the native texting app and get rid of Handcent or GoSMS or whatever other app you might have acquired. I would further suggest that you uninstall every app you got from the Amazon Marketplace and also uninstall the Amazon market. Reboot. Install Battery Solo Widget, which will give you an easy way to read your battery temperature (rather than guessing that it is hot or warm, overworked or normal). Once you determine if your battery is cooking or just warm, uninstall Battery Solo Widget (free), because now it demands full Internet access so it can put ads (AdMob) on your screen. Replace it with Circle Battery Widget (free) if you like to see the percentage of battery life left. Install 1TapCleaner or App2SD (both free) to easily clean the cache.
Then be very selective about the apps you install, and I'd suggest sticking with the native apps as much as possible.

Jonas

Reaction score
I would suggest, short of a factory reset, is that you uninstall every app that you downloaded from the Market that you don't absolutely need. Use the native texting app and get rid of Handcent or GoSMS or whatever other app you might have acquired. I would further suggest that you uninstall every app you got from the Amazon Marketplace and also uninstall the Amazon market. Reboot. Install Battery Solo Widget, which will give you an easy way to read your battery temperature (rather than guessing that it is hot or warm, overworked or normal). Once you determine if your battery is cooking or just warm, uninstall Battery Solo Widget (free), because now it demands full Internet access so it can put ads (AdMob) on your screen. Replace it with Circle Battery Widget (free) if you like to see the percentage of battery life left. Install 1TapCleaner or App2SD (both free) to easily clean the cache.
Then be very selective about the apps you install, and I'd suggest sticking with the native apps as much as possible.

Factory reset and clear cache would be soo much faster and simpler.

OP
C

CheyAut

Reaction score
Try going to Settings>language and keyboard>milti touch keyboard. Uncheck the predict word option.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

Ok, did this and it's not so messed up... I started off with it normal since I pulled the battery, then tried this. It worked for a bit, then typing a reply in my FB app it did the need to force close thing and the touch keyboard won't come up again, phone getting hot but other than that, working as normal. So that's an improvement!

OP
C

CheyAut

Reaction score
You were correct on that reset up to a point. What you needed to do was instead of hitting that camera button, you needed to hit the search button on your hard keyboard. Then you needed to scroll down to factory reset (with your volume keys), and select factory reset/wipe data (with your hard camera button). If this does not work, please feel free to PM me, I'm more than glad to help! I will try to respond as quickly as possibly, usually within a few minutes.

Best of luck!

Ah, ok, good to know what I read was wrong vs my phone just not doing that ;) I will have to try that later.

Jonas

Reaction score
Like I said, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, get stuck, or have problems later on.

OP
C

CheyAut

Reaction score
I would suggest, short of a factory reset, is that you uninstall every app that you downloaded from the Market that you don't absolutely need. Use the native texting app and get rid of Handcent or GoSMS or whatever other app you might have acquired.

Native texting app? No idea what Handcent or GoSMS is. If you're talking about texting, I only use whatever came on the phone.

I would further suggest that you uninstall every app you got from the Amazon Marketplace and also uninstall the Amazon market.

Amazon market? I just use the market that's on the phone... I don't think that's Amazon, right?

Reboot. Install Battery Solo Widget, which will give you an easy way to read your battery temperature (rather than guessing that it is hot or warm, overworked or normal). Once you determine if your battery is cooking or just warm, uninstall Battery Solo Widget (free), because now it demands full Internet access so it can put ads (AdMob) on your screen. Replace it with Circle Battery Widget (free) if you like to see the percentage of battery life left.

I just look at the battery symbol thing on the phone in the upper right corner to know where I"m at. It's not the battery that is getting hot, it's the phone.

Install 1TapCleaner or App2SD (both free) to easily clean the cache.

Native apps? As I said, I don't know that much ;)

Here are the apps I have

3TV (our local news channel)... don't use, as it never wants to work right, so I will get rid of it
Adobe Flash Player (I use occasionally I guess)
Amazon Kindle (never use, I think this came on the phone?)
Angry Birds (I used to play, don't anymore and can get rid of it)
Books (must've come on the phone?)
ConvertPad (I use this)
Craigslist Notification (I use this)
Dish (I use this occasionally, it's my Dish Network Satelite thing)
Droid Light (I use this all the time)
Facebook (use this ALL the time)
GasBuddy (use occasionally to find nearby gas stations)
Gesture Search (use, not all the time but often enough)
Gmail (use)
Google Sky Map (neat, used it a couple times, but don't really need it and can get rid of it)
Groupon (use this)
IMDb (use this)
Jewels (use this occasionally)
Klondike (haven't used it because I forget it's there)
Live Scores (downloaded this for my husband, he uses it occasionally)
Yahoo mail (I don't use the application, I just go to the website)
Maps (use a lot)
Market (the regular with with the Android symbol that came on thephone)
Movies (use occasionally)
MP3 Download Lite (used before but haven't in a long time)
My Verizon Mobile (um did this come on the phone? I don't think I use this?)
NFS Shift (not sure what this is, I recall downloading it for my husband but he doesn't use it so I can get rid of it)
Pandora (use a lot)
Photobucket (use)
Plyamaker (don't use, can get rid of)
Ringdroid (don't use, think I did once or twice)
Shazam (use occasionally)
ShopSavvy (never remember I have it, so don't use it)
Skype Mobile (came on phone, never use it)
Splat Bugs II (played a couple times, can get rid of it)
Twitter (use very rarely)
Voice Search (came on phone?)
VZ Navigator (?)

Those are all the ones in the downloaded section (although some came wtih the phone, I didn't download)

Last edited:

Jonas

Reaction score
Native apps? As I said, I don't know that much ;)

Here are the apps I have

3TV (our local news channel)... don't use, as it never wants to work right, so I will get rid of it
Adobe Flash Player (I use occasionally I guess)
Amazon Kindle (never use, I think this came on the phone?)
Angry Birds (I used to play, don't anymore and can get rid of it)
Books (must've come on the phone?)
ConvertPad (I use this)
Craigslist Notification (I use this)
Dish (I use this occasionally, it's my Dish Network Satelite thing)
Droid Light (I use this all the time)
Facebook (use this ALL the time)
GasBuddy (use occasionally to find nearby gas stations)
Gesture Search (use, not all the time but often enough)
Gmail (use)
Google Sky Map (neat, used it a couple times, but don't really need it and can get rid of it)
Groupon (use this)
IMDb (use this)
Jewels (use this occasionally)
Klondike (haven't used it because I forget it's there)
Live Scores (downloaded this for my husband, he uses it occasionally)
Yahoo mail (I don't use the application, I just go to the website)
Maps (use a lot)
Market (the regular with with the Android symbol that came on thephone)
Movies (use occasionally)
MP3 Download Lite (used before but haven't in a long time)
My Verizon Mobile (um did this come on the phone? I don't think I use this?)
NFS Shift (not sure what this is, I recall downloading it for my husband but he doesn't use it so I can get rid of it)
Pandora (use a lot)
Photobucket (use)
Plyamaker (don't use, can get rid of)
Ringdroid (don't use, think I did once or twice)
Shazam (use occasionally)
ShopSavvy (never remember I have it, so don't use it)
Skype Mobile (came on phone, never use it)
Splat Bugs II (played a couple times, can get rid of it)
Twitter (use very rarely)
Voice Search (came on phone?)
VZ Navigator (?)

Those are all the ones in the downloaded section (although some came wtih the phone, I didn't download)

Native apps mean apps that came with the phone. You will know these because you cant uninstall them without a root. If you don't know what root means, you don't have it.

OP
C

CheyAut

Reaction score
Well I really didn't want to try the reset, but even though it's issues aren't AS BAD as they were, it's still incredibly annoying to have whatever I;m trying to do force close all the time and it go really slow, ect... so I guess I will have to try that tonight :( If that doesn't work, I guess I need to call Verizon tomorrow.