My droid has lost its mind....

crazy51guy

Reaction score
In short, my phone started flipping out last night. First off, it is a all stock (I haven't messed with rooting it or anything like that) 2.0.1 Droid. I've had it for 2 months now and everything has been fine for the most part. I put my phone on silent last night, left it on the table and when I came back to it a couple hours later it was acting really strange.

Here are a couple things it started doing (and is still doing):

-The Home and Search button on the bottom of the screen no longer work
-There is no longer a lock screen, it just takes me to my home screen when I push the button on the top of the phone
-I can not receive any incoming calls. My texts/emails/alarms all still work but do not make a sound

Other than that everything seems to be just the way it was. So I tried turning the phone off several times, and pulling the battery several times and nothing. I then uninstalled some of the recently updated apps I had and nothing.

Anybody else have this problem or know what it could be? I tried searching but couldn't find anyone with the same problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In short, my phone started flipping out last night. First off, it is a all stock (I haven't messed with rooting it or anything like that) 2.0.1 Droid. I've had it for 2 months now and everything has been fine for the most part. I put my phone on silent last night, left it on the table and when I came back to it a couple hours later it was acting really strange.

Here are a couple things it started doing (and is still doing):

-The Home and Search button on the bottom of the screen no longer work
-There is no longer a lock screen, it just takes me to my home screen when I push the button on the top of the phone
-I can not receive any incoming calls. My texts/emails/alarms all still work but do not make a sound

Other than that everything seems to be just the way it was. So I tried turning the phone off several times, and pulling the battery several times and nothing. I then uninstalled some of the recently updated apps I had and nothing.

Anybody else have this problem or know what it could be? I tried searching but couldn't find anyone with the same problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Sounds like a major fubar. I think what you should do is a hard reset and see if it works ok without any apps in it. If it does, you'll know it was an app or two that caused the problem. Then start putting the apps back in and see if you can find the culprit (s).

OP
C

crazy51guy

Reaction score
^Thanks. How do I do a hard reset? And what exactly will it erase? I can't afford to lose my texts/recent calls/etc. since I use the phone for business.

I forgot to mention I used a task killer to kill every app and the phone didn't get any better....:confused:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^Thanks. How do I do a hard reset? And what exactly will it erase? I can't afford to lose my texts/recent calls/etc. since I use the phone for business.

I forgot to mention I used a task killer to kill every app and the phone didn't get any better....:confused:

First get rid of task killer. You don't need it and it could very well be the problem.

When you do a hard reset you go back to factory settings. You'll lose everything. If you are worried about text and calls then I don't know what to tell you. Your only other alternative would be to take it back to Verizon and get a new one.

Try removing task killer and see if that doesn't help.

OP
C

crazy51guy

Reaction score
Ok, I uninstalled the task killer and it's the same. I had the Advanced task killer app on there for a while and never had any problems. I just thought that it was worth a shot to use it to see if any app was defective or if two apps were conflicting.

But I uninstalled a lot of the apps that I installed or updated over the past few weeks and nothing is changing anything after I turn the phone off.

Thanks for the help guys but I guess I'm going to see if it will straighten itself out and if not take it to verizon...were they will probably just reset it I guess. Thanks again for the help Bill, my name is Bill to haha =]

droidbear

Reaction score
Backlit issue

I'd like to ask a related question. The backlit on the row that houses the Home, Search and Menu keys sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Am I missing something?
Also, all these glitches that everyone is mentioning. Is it because the Droid is a first-generation phone? Am I mistaken?
Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like to ask a related question. The backlit on the row that houses the Home, Search and Menu keys sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Am I missing something?
Also, all these glitches that everyone is mentioning. Is it because the Droid is a first-generation phone? Am I mistaken?
Thanks!

There is a minor bug where the backlight on the buttons doesn't work. When this happens just push the power button and the lights will come back on.

As far as all these other "glitches" I don't really know what you're talking about. Not everybody has problems with their phone. I very rarely see the bug on the buttons.

Comparatively speaking, and I'm talking about comparing it with something like the Blackberry Storm this phone has very little to complain about.

droidbear

Reaction score
Backlight issue.

Thanks very much! The Verizon rep told me the backlight isn't always on to preserve the battery power.
The Forum is consistently correct with answers and knows the phone.
It's amazing what explanations some of the Verizon reps will provide.

KevinJ

Reaction score
About the backlit buttons...

I've found that the brighter your surroundings, the less the buttons are lit. If I'm in a well-lit area the buttons are dark. But if I take my phone into a darkened area the buttons are lit.

OP
C

crazy51guy

Reaction score
Just thought I would update this in case someone else has the same problem. I tried everything I could think of to fix this with no avail. After I backed up as much as I could I went to verizon, they backed up my contacts and after playing with it for a while they said they would need to reset it. They offered to give me another phone if doing a hard reset didn't fix the issue. But as soon as we reset the phone to the factory condition and everything worked fine again.

BTW, I found an app that backs up all of your texts or SMS. It's called "SMS Backup."

Thanks again for the help Bill.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
good find on sms backup.. i'l pass that around for other folks having issues.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just thought I would update this in case someone else has the same problem. I tried everything I could think of to fix this with no avail. After I backed up as much as I could I went to verizon, they backed up my contacts and after playing with it for a while they said they would need to reset it. They offered to give me another phone if doing a hard reset didn't fix the issue. But as soon as we reset the phone to the factory condition and everything worked fine again.

BTW, I found an app that backs up all of your texts or SMS. It's called "SMS Backup."

Thanks again for the help Bill.
I don't get why VZW has to 'backup' contacts. The Google Cloud already does this...