My droid doesn't do this?

JayMonster

Reaction score
Excellent! Why isn't that default if it's in the freakin commercial. LOL

Because then there would be people complaining about "information overload" and that the search is returning too much. There is rarely a single way that is satisfactory to everybody, but at least with the Droid, you do get the option (even if you didn't know it was there).

I think it is less about information overload and more of people going, "WHAT?!? GOOGLE HAS MY CONTACT INFORMATION PASTED ON THE NET?!?" I mean, some people are afraid of certain information they have put in that shouldn't be out in the public. While it is nice that G-mail has your contact information you can get anywhere, I think some people like it where not everyone can see it as well.

Your not implying what I think you are here... correct? And just to clarify this for any newbie that might run across and get the same impression I got from your statement... Just because you enable search to find these items (on your phone) does not mean they are put "in the cloud" or online in any way. It is just expanding what is available in the search results to include items from your phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because then there would be people complaining about "information overload" and that the search is returning too much. There is rarely a single way that is satisfactory to everybody, but at least with the Droid, you do get the option (even if you didn't know it was there).

I think it is less about information overload and more of people going, "WHAT?!? GOOGLE HAS MY CONTACT INFORMATION PASTED ON THE NET?!?" I mean, some people are afraid of certain information they have put in that shouldn't be out in the public. While it is nice that G-mail has your contact information you can get anywhere, I think some people like it where not everyone can see it as well.

Your not implying what I think you are here... correct? And just to clarify this for any newbie that might run across and get the same impression I got from your statement... Just because you enable search to find these items (on your phone) does not mean they are put "in the cloud" or online in any way. It is just expanding what is available in the search results to include items from your phone.

correct. It's not pushing any additional information into 'the cloud'... it's just expanding your search to details contained in your phone... not just the web :)

keiichi25

Reaction score

Jay, it is exactly what I am implying...

And no, I do not foolishly believe that it puts it out to the internet, however, I have found, in the past, that 'common sense' is not that common with people. I have people who think the internet is down because they open up their web browser and see they can't get to their home page, when the home page is set to MSN or Yahoo and their site happens to not be responsive.

I have people who don't understand why the Corporate policy to change your password every three months is necessary or why a hacker would go out of their way to screw over their system. I seriously hear people go, "Why would anyone want to do that?"

I have people who ask me, "Why can't I send e-mail to this person?" when they get a System Admin Message telling them, exactly, why the message could not be sent to said person.

So, sorry to say this, but yes... I actually believe the reason they don't have it on, by default, is for people like the ones I mentioned above, the ones I have to smile and try nicely to explain exactly the issue (repeatedly), who could easily just assume that when you do Voice Search for something and it pulls up your contact information, the mind begins to go, "Wait... How did Google Search pull up information that should only be known by me along with the search I was looking for?"

It is sad I feel this way, but again, from experience, quite a lot of people are ignorant of things. I mean, how why do you think people still fall for the e-mail phishing ones? (Heck, I know one person I give a hard time about, who fell for the whole, "But the e-mail looked official and I gave them my information..." trick.)

JayMonster

Reaction score
@keiichi25 OK no your were not implying what I feared you were, so much as you know *users* that would imply that (which I agree is very sadly the case). I understand admin frustrations (believe me I do)

keiichi25

Reaction score
Milestones dont have Voice search -.-

Of course not....Ever try to understand anyone that is European?

Oh...Wait.....:icon_ banana:

I would hazard more to guess they haven't gotten allowances like Navigation to have Voice Search working in the European countries yet. As well as just the Voice recognition features to recognize beyond English at the moment. Given you have Italian, French, Dutch, German, Flemish, Norweigan, Polish, Greek, and Swiss, to name a few of the languages in Europe, I think many of the Europeans would be annoyed to only have an English Voice Search available when they would probably prefer something closer to their language which hasn't been implemented yet.

thaJack

Reaction score
I didn't realize that option was there, either. Strangely enough, though, the only thing it seems to not search is GMail. What's up with that?

By the way, superglen99, mine is making love to your wife, too.

superglen99

Reaction score
hmm that might be a problem. I'll have to tell the Droid to keep his dirty qwerty keyboard off my wife.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Milestones dont have Voice search -.-

Of course not....Ever try to understand anyone that is European?

Oh...Wait.....:icon_ banana:

I would hazard more to guess they haven't gotten allowances like Navigation to have Voice Search working in the European countries yet. As well as just the Voice recognition features to recognize beyond English at the moment. Given you have Italian, French, Dutch, German, Flemish, Norweigan, Polish, Greek, and Swiss, to name a few of the languages in Europe, I think many of the Europeans would be annoyed to only have an English Voice Search available when they would probably prefer something closer to their language which hasn't been implemented yet.

That might be true....but I was zigging one at RinTinTigger ;)