My Droid Bionic

js402

Reaction score
I had to make a rush decision last December when I purchased my Bionic. My original Droid had died.

Right out of the box, the Bionic froze up and I had to remove the battery. I went back to Verizon and they talked me into keeping it. They promised me that a software update would soon be coming for this. Shortly after that a software update did occur and I must admit, the device has not frozen on me since.

However... battery life on this little beast is TERRIBLE. I live in a 4G town, but have been on 3G because 4G just sucks the life right out of the battery.

I don't know if I have the latest update on the phone. When I look at "About Phone," I see that the Android version is 2.3.4 - is that the latest that Verizon has pushed out? Why does the RAZR MAX have a newer version?

Has motorola declared "end of life" on the Bionic?

I put this phone on a charger all day at work. I take it off the charger when I leave. I stick the phone in my purse where it usually stays until the next morning when I arrive back at work. In the mornings, 9 times out of 10, the battery is in the RED zone.

When it's not dead, it does OK for most things. My biggest complaint is battery life. Every time I try to use it when I'm not at work, it seems that it is dead or almost dead.

I'm frustrated with it and ready to wedge it in front of one of the wheels of my car. :icon_ devil:

Any suggestions??

OP
J

js402

Reaction score
Have you tried any of the battery saving options under settings?

It was set to Maximum Battery Saver mode. I've changed it to CUSTOM. I've set off-peak hours as beginning @ 9 p.m. and ending @ 5 a.m. and turning off the data after 15 minutes.

I've also indicated that during Peak Hours, the data should be turned off after 60 minutes.

I'll see if that helps.

Is Android Version 2.3.4 the latest version that has been pushed out for this device? Don't the Razr Maxx's have 4.0??

Kobe24

Reaction score
js402 said:
It was set to Maximum Battery Saver mode. I've changed it to CUSTOM. I've set off-peak hours as beginning @ 9 p.m. and ending @ 5 a.m. and turning off the data after 15 minutes.

I've also indicated that during Peak Hours, the data should be turned off after 60 minutes.

I'll see if that helps.

Is Android Version 2.3.4 the latest version that has been pushed out for this device? Don't the Razr Maxx's have 4.0??

Yes, 2.3.4 is the latest..Razr Maxx have ICS...we should get it next month

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The Bionic is in the process of getting Android 4.0.4. There have been leaks, and in fact a new one recently. If you're feeling adventurous enough you can give leak .232 a try. DO NOT GO PAST .232, because if you do you won't be able to go back to GB. Though, from personal experience I have been on the ICS leaks since June, and have never permanently went back to GB.

As for your battery, there are other things we can check out. Maybe another app is really draining the battery. Another thing you could do is buy the extended battery. I personally have one, and really like it. It's $24 on verizon.com, and if you search around you may find it cheaper.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go to this youtube video. It is the first of 4 or 5 videos that will step you through various settings that suck down battery juice.

[video=youtube;cvWg7SbUgsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWg7SbUgsI[/video]

After you view the first, it will provide a link to the next and so on. The into is kinda hokey but it really helped my battery life. Just about doubled it.dancedroid

JohnFH

Reaction score
tjk629 said:
The Bionic is in the process of getting Android 4.0.4. There have been leaks, and in fact a new one recently. If you're feeling adventurous enough you can give leak .232 a try. DO NOT GO PAST .232, because if you do you won't be able to go back to GB. Though, from personal experience I have been on the ICS leaks since June, and have never permanently went back to GB.

As for your battery, there are other things we can check out. Maybe another app is really draining the battery. Another thing you could do is buy the extended battery. I personally have one, and really like it. It's $24 on verizon.com, and if you search around you may find it cheaper.

I've had great results with the extended battery: with 100% @ 6:00 a.m., it's at 40% at 7:00 p.m., w/moderate to heavy usage.

OP
J

js402

Reaction score
Well.. I followed the instructions in the video and the phone seems to be doing better; however I haven't really used it much. First real test will be Wednesday when I go back to work. Having it on WiFi instead of 3g or 4g seems to help the most.

When I go back to work, I will have it on 3g or 4g to see how it does. I admit, I do check Facebook on it sometimes during the day, but I use it mostly for texting. I rarely use it as a phone. I also check email on 3 email ACCTS during the day.

Sobr0801

Reaction score
?

Question how do you sync your device. Those 3 email account could really be the thing killing your battery?

OP
J

js402

Reaction score
I use yahoo email app for a Yahoo acct, the gmail app for a gmail acct and K9 email app for my ISP pop mail. I have disabled background synchronization on the yahoo and K9 app.

Battery seems to be doing better... but not great.