My Display eating battery?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many years back, I had the Motorola Razor phone. I just found my old charger, and it fits into my Droid X.

Is this an option to use to charge the phone? It won't mess up anything would it?

Don't use another charge on the Droid X. On the regular Motorola Droid it has caused some issues, maybe not with the X but why take chances.

If you really want to get past the battery issue, go to Amazon and purchase a couple of spare batteries (under 20.00), go to ebay and get a wall charger (about 5.00) and last but not least if you use it in your car a lot get a charger for the car.

Smartphone suck the life out of batteries. You can do all the little tweaks here and there you like, its not going to make much difference. Next thing you know you're so hung up on the battery you lose the benefit of the phone.

Razir

Reaction score
Totally agree...I don't want to hamper the functionality of my phone just to save 10 mins of battery life.

I have had short usage times with my D1 and now my DX, to some degree (although better usage times on DX compared to a rooted Droid OC'd), but small price to pay for such an incredible piece of tech.

I have a few widgets that update themselves, also using Launcher Pro Plus, and Beautiful Widgets (which I have heard can drain the battery), but I just figure I will just have to keep a charger with me at home, in the car, and at work. Such will be life until batteries go nuclear or something. :reddroid:

Reaction score
Just so you all know I found an application in the market called adjbrightness that will let you dim your brightness beyond the standard settjngs. However, this does required root, but i'm noticing battery improvements already.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

EbbieDeb

Reaction score
Many years back, I had the Motorola Razor phone. I just found my old charger, and it fits into my Droid X.

Is this an option to use to charge the phone? It won't mess up anything would it?

Don't use another charge on the Droid X. On the regular Motorola Droid it has caused some issues, maybe not with the X but why take chances.

The chargers I found on Ebay all are just standard MicroUSB chargers, with the Droid X and Razor listed as compatible. What would make them any different than the MicroUSB made my Motorola for the Razor?

I'm just curious....

rolandct

Reaction score
On the cables there should be a tag showing the power output. If they are the same then you should be ok.

rolandct

Reaction score
To EbbieDeb: Do you have WiFi and bluetooth on when you charge your phone? i had the same problem when i first got my Moto X.

No, I do not have either turned on. I don't have an earpiece, so I have bluetooth turned off. I also have the Wifi Turned off. The only thing I have on is the GPS. I'm wondering if I should just turn that off when I'm at home?[/QUOTE]

I find gps to be the biggest offender.

EbbieDeb

Reaction score
On the cables there should be a tag showing the power output. If they are the same then you should be ok.

Both cords have a tag, but it only says, for warranty information call.. XXX-XXX-XXXX. I don't see anything about power output. ??

EbbieDeb

Reaction score
To EbbieDeb: Do you have WiFi and bluetooth on when you charge your phone? i had the same problem when i first got my Moto X.

No, I do not have either turned on. I don't have an earpiece, so I have bluetooth turned off. I also have the Wifi Turned off. The only thing I have on is the GPS. I'm wondering if I should just turn that off when I'm at home?

I find gps to be the biggest offender.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I have decided to turn GPS off when I am at home, and put the widget on the screen that allows for easy toggle on/off. It seems to have helped, but I will see how it goes today.

selluminis

Reaction score
I also think 19 hours is pretty good. Like cpjr, I usually get around 12 hours. GPS is a serious killer sometimes, I usually keep mine off.

Heck, I would love to get 12 hours even. I am lucky to get 8. GPS and WIFI are off. Screen is on auto so it is dim most of the time and is set to 15 second off time. 15 seconds has helped but it is annoying.

grimbergen

Reaction score
Yeah, display is killing me. Yesterday, on a fully charged battery overnight, the phone lasted about 8 hrs and I didn't even do that much -- made about 20mins of phone calls, about 30-40 min spent in total browsing/downloading apps/checking email, the rest of the time on screen lock standby.

Today I set the screen to the lowest brightness and used the phone for the same amount of time calling/online as yesterday, and so far it's lasted over 12 hrs and still has 20% battery.

for both days I have had gps turned off, bluetooth off, wifi only on for the 15-20 min when i'm at home and using the phone online, all autosyncs/push off.

kas1229

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4 verizon
Why doesnt anyone just keep their phone plugged in at night while they sleep?? Seriously, seems like a no brainer to me.

I ALWAYS charge my phone all night while Im sleeping, always have on any phone Ive ever had.

PS- And for those that would say it ruins the battery....thats crap, I have never had a battery issue on any phone either.

I honestly wish I could charge my phone overnight. But I do not have a landline, so my cell is my only phone. I like to keep it on the nightstand while I sleep. However the cord is too short to go from the wall to the top of my nightstand. Mind you, the outlet is RIGHT BEHIND my nightstand. I wish they made the cord longer on this phone.

Are u serious? you can get a 6' cord from amazon for like $3. @ that price u can pick up 3 to help justify the cost of shipping.

Amazon.com: RiteAV - USB A to Micro-B Cable 6 ft.: Electronics

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Battery threads will exist on every smartphone that is made. You can turn your wifi off, turn your bluetooth off, heck turn your phone off. It's still going to eat battery.

Acceptance is the key. Accept the fact that you are probably going to have to recharge at least once a day.

Go to Amazon .com and pick up a couple of extra batteries. It's cheap, like 15.00 shipped.

Ebay has little wall chargers you can buy for about 5.00 each. I bought mine from a guy in China and a guy in Brooklyn. Buy from Brooklyn if you life in the USA but truthfully both performed the same.

If you are going to use it in your car get a charger and a dock for you phone.

If you don't do these things you end up doing nothing but worrying about the battery and you don't enjoy your phone. It's not that expensive, I prefer to enjoy my phone.

kas1229

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4 verizon
Battery threads will exist on every smartphone that is made. You can turn your wifi off, turn your bluetooth off, heck turn your phone off. It's still going to eat battery.

Acceptance is the key. Accept the fact that you are probably going to have to recharge at least once a day.

Go to Amazon .com and pick up a couple of extra batteries. It's cheap, like 15.00 shipped.

Ebay has little wall chargers you can buy for about 5.00 each. I bought mine from a guy in China and a guy in Brooklyn. Buy from Brooklyn if you life in the USA but truthfully both performed the same.

If you are going to use it in your car get a charger and a dock for you phone.

If you don't do these things you end up doing nothing but worrying about the battery and you don't enjoy your phone. It's not that expensive, I prefer to enjoy my phone.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

blackbird2150

Reaction score
So I was just going to say, the other day I did this:
Woke up at 7am, used pandora on the drive to the car place, 1 hr, (had no car audio), read anandtech review of the droid x while there (prolly 2 hours), played pandora on the way home, another hour, and then continued to use talk, texting, and calls throughout the day. The battery lasted till 9pm when it was fully discharged. I was very pleased with the result. Also it said that out of everything 70% was the display which makes sense as its a 4"+ screen being lit while i was reading online stuff.

Also, for those that want a cable. Any usb micro cable will work just fine. Maybe it takes 3.5 hours instead of 3.2 hours to charge, who really cares. There is a usb standard and as long as its folllowed it won't damage your phone. Here is the cable for $1.34 at 6'
For only $1.09 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/26AWG Cable - 6ft | USB 2.0 Cables - Micro-B Type

Btw, i buy all my cables from this place, their hdmi cables are fantastic, no need to pay $50 for an hdmi cable that costs under 5 here and performs the same.

msblueline

Reaction score
I read where it said the razr charger was used. Is that not the mini usb rather than the micro usb cable. The charger port is the micro usb. How does the mini usb cable fit in there. The only other port is video out port which is the mini usb. Are you using that as a charge port as well?

IMHO if you leave the GPS on all day that will drain your battery quick. I agree that that is the culpret too. I also agree that any smart phone will drain quickly, especially one with a 4.3" screen.

Why not take some extra precautions on battery care. If you are not going to use the bluetooth, GPS, or wifi then why have it on. I believe that will save more than you think on the battery power.

I look at it like this, if it save battery power, use it. Every bit helps, no matter how small the amount.

Just my two cents worth.

msblueline